PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone still question letting Vinatieri go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BelichickFan said:
Evidently the success rate is about 43% :

"The NCAA and the NFL have similar statistics for the success rate of two-point conversions and extra points. In the NFL the figures are 43% for the two-point conversion and 94% for the extra point, while in the NCAA the figures are 43.5% and 93.8% (Mallory & Nehlan, 2004)."

http://www.thesportjournal.org/2005Journal/Vol8-No4/starkey.asp

Which is higher than I thought but still below average. Obviously it's not over 50% or teams would always go for two.

Thank for the stat. Lower than I realized.

It's surprisingly difficult to find conversion stats, though I found this "Last year NFL teams converted 50 percent of their two point tries." in this fairly crappy article: http://www.docsports.com/two-point-conversion.html.

Maybe what I had heard were a single season 50% stat tossed out, or a Patriots-specific stat as I am pretty sure they have been above league average when it comes to conversions.

I'll agree that in most situations it seems an unnecessary risk. I think that last night, being able to run on the Colts, knowing that if they lost the coin flip they'd lose the game, and that even if they won the flip they might have to rely on a rookie kicker to hit the game-winner, that bellichick just may have chosen to go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back