PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone still miss Seymour? Final results are in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final results are in?

The final results will be in when you compare a year of Seymour with whatever we get with the pick we got for Seymour.

I think there will be less discussion then.

Seymour was a great player for us, and he left us a legacy in the form of a first round pick.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the trade. ESP if we sign him back as a FA this offseason. I think he'll HAVE to take a pay cut. Noone will sign him for more

Unless you know something about compensation for lost free agents in the uncapped year that I don't (I looked for a change in the CBA regarding this, but couldn't find one), Seymour could have yielded a compensatory pick (likely a 3rd), as well as the extra year of service, even if the team had let him walk after this season.

He could have and he could not have since the rules are tied to the number of FA lost vs. signed that determine if teams even qualify for comp picks. In the uncapped year there are additional restrictions on final 8 and final 4 teams signing FA tied to the extent you lose FA so it's not nearly as likely you get a comp pick which is never a given to begin with.

The Patriots chose to walk away from Seymour before he walked away from them. In doing so they decided that losing a year of service was preferable to the potential of getting no compensation or compensation at the tail end of the 3rd round in 2011 vs. a first round pick in 2011 that they believe could be a top ten pick in a rookie capped draft. Most of the pundits and experts said it was not a stretch to see that a team that always has it's eye on the long term would perceive that deal as value added.

There had been something going on between the coaching staff and Richard for a long time. He chose not to have surgery after the injury that dogged him through 2005 and 2006. I think that was because he wanted his extension first. He did through his toady use that as an excuse for his less dominant performances through 2007. When Belichick cut Milloy I thought he was an arrogant prick who was intent on ruining everything I had ever dreamed of. I got over it by the end of the season because we won. But I didn't understand how wrong and uninformed I was until Patriot Reign came out. For all we know there was a similar dynamic at work where Seymour was concerned. His sack numbers were up in 2008. But was he really still an impact player here or one whose impact was consistent enough to warrant paying him a double digit salary and eschewing a first round draft pick in exchange for a final year of service? I know you believe you know the answer to that question. I just don't think you are remotely in a position to. Only one guy really is and I know what he decided to do.

He could have and he could not have since the rules are tied to the number of FA lost vs. signed that determine if teams even qualify for comp picks. In the uncapped year there are additional restrictions on final 8 and final 4 teams signing FA tied to the extent you lose FA so it's not nearly as likely you get a comp pick which is never a given to begin with.

The Patriots chose to walk away from Seymour before he walked away from them. In doing so they decided that losing a year of service was preferable to the potential of getting no compensation or compensation at the tail end of the 3rd round in 2011 vs. a first round pick in 2011 that they believe could be a top ten pick in a rookie capped draft. Most of the pundits and experts said it was not a stretch to see that a team that always has it's eye on the long term would perceive that deal as value added.

There had been something going on between the coaching staff and Richard for a long time. He chose not to have surgery after the injury that dogged him through 2005 and 2006. I think that was because he wanted his extension first. He did through his toady use that as an excuse for his less dominant performances through 2007. When Belichick cut Milloy I thought he was an arrogant prick who was intent on ruining everything I had ever dreamed of. I got over it by the end of the season because we won. But I didn't understand how wrong and uninformed I was until Patriot Reign came out. For all we know there was a similar dynamic at work where Seymour was concerned. His sack numbers were up in 2008. But was he really still an impact player here or one whose impact was consistent enough to warrant paying him a double digit salary and eschewing a first round draft pick in exchange for a final year of service? I know you believe you know the answer to that question. I just don't think you are remotely in a position to. Only one guy really is and I know what he decided to do.

How often does it have to be noted that if we all just use that "only BB knows" theory, there's no use for a message board, because a link to the Patriots' PR person would be all that was needed? One of the problems with the Homers is that they crack out that 'defense' as if it means something. Of course, Belichick should be the most knowledgeable, in theory, about the moves Belichick is making. That doesn't make him perfect, and it doesn't put those moves above discussion or criticism.

Also, it's actually pretty easy to compare how the pocket collapsed and/or needed to double Seymour last year with how the pocket stays strong this year and the pressure is almost exclusively from the outside and blitzing, just as it's pretty easy to see how well Seymour shut down the run last season and compare it to Green's comparative inability to do so this year.

Last edited:
How often does it have to be noted that if we all just use that "only BB knows" theory, there's no use for a message board, because a link to the Patriots' PR person would be all that was needed? One of the problems with the Homers is that they crack out that 'defense' as if it means something. Of course, Belichick should be the most knowledgeable, in theory, about the moves Belichick is making. That doesn't make him perfect, and it doesn't put those moves above discussion or criticism.

Also, it's actually pretty easy to compare how the pocket collapsed and/or needed to double Seymour last year with how the pocket stays strong this year and the pressure is almost exclusively from the outside and blitzing, just as it's pretty easy to see how well Seymour shut down the run last season and compare it to Green's comparative inability to do so this year.

I know you have to believe all that in order to maintain your ability to make arguments here. But it doesn't have to be about arguing and critiquing here. It can be about learning and understanding. Bill talked extensively yesterday about some of the misconceptions broadcasters and fans perpetuate because they simple lack access to the information that explains what actually happens in games. Not just the coaches tape, either, since absent an understanding of what each players role was to be on each play and how what the opponent did in response dictated within a rules parameter what adjustments each player could or would have been expected to make it's impossible to know who played well and who screwed up and who didn't show up...or why. Bill has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making decisions because he is privy to more information than any of us and he's got a track record that is second to none. If you believe grasping that makes me a homer, so be it. Just understand that the counterpoint is not grasping it makes you just another kneejerk malcontent IMO. And one I used to think while at times oddly annoying was too smart to be just that...

Hey while we're at it, in addition to bringing back 27 yr old Seymour why don't we bring back 2003 Ted Washington, 2003-2007 Vrabel, 2003-2004 Rodney and 2003-2004 Bruschi for the playoff run.

The Patriots finished the season with 31 sacks, one more than last year when Richard Seymour had one of his best seasons. I say BB's decision to ship him out has been vindicated. Looking forward to that extra No. 1 pick, or whomever/whatever it brings. :singing:

Richard, by the way, finished the season with a whopping four sacks (including two in his first game as a Raider), tying him for 82nd in the league. Keep in mind that this was in a system designed to maximize his potential as a pass rusher.

I think you are going about this all wrong. No doubt at all that Seymour is better than Jarvis Green. No doubt that he would be a benefit to this year's team.

I -miss- Seymour, but I do not disagree with the trade. He would have commanded too much money and walked away next year. We got a 1st round pick in 2011, I like the deal taking everything into account. As a fan I miss his talent on the D-Line, but I also understand the trade value.

BB's willing to let fans bash him and second guess him because he knows the only cure for that would be for him to tell us absolutely everything, and that's not happening anytime soon. I don't think there are too many Belichicklets around, despite Mazz' rant lol:rolleyes:

But back to Sey; I miss him but there was an undercurrent of discontent simmering there for quite awhile, the media alluded to it at times but to Sey's credit he didn't comment a whole lot on the issue (iirc).

BB's cuts go deep, always have always will. I miss all those guys and I'd LOVE to see us with a mean pass rusher right now,but I think THIS present team has the potential to gel and develop into a fierce D.

I miss Big Sey, I wish he could've stayed another year but I don't think BB made a mistake. Big Vince was the obvious choice.:p

I know you have to believe all that in order to maintain your ability to make arguments here. But it doesn't have to be about arguing and critiquing here. It can be about learning and understanding. Bill talked extensively yesterday about some of the misconceptions broadcasters and fans perpetuate because they simple lack access to the information that explains what actually happens in games. Not just the coaches tape, either, since absent an understanding of what each players role was to be on each play and how what the opponent did in response dictated within a rules parameter what adjustments each player could or would have been expected to make it's impossible to know who played well and who screwed up and who didn't show up...or why. Bill has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making decisions because he is privy to more information than any of us and he's got a track record that is second to none. If you believe grasping that makes me a homer, so be it. Just understand that the counterpoint is not grasping it makes you just another kneejerk malcontent IMO. And one I used to think while at times oddly annoying was too smart to be just that...

You are a homer. Are you seriously going to claim you're not? You have become such a homer that you confuse reasoned disagreement with being a kneejerk malcontent, and Belichick's word with God's pronouncements.

Now, some notes:

1.) Bill hasn't "earned" the benefit of the doubt from anyone who doesn't agree with that position: It's not something factual, after all. It's a personal opinion regarding BB's status. As you well know, I have always tended to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt, even when I've disagreed with him, prior to his very odd moves this year. He lost that status with me. Hopefully, he'll regain it soon, because I'd rather have more confidence than questions when it comes to the head coach of my favorite teams, and I don't have that when it comes to Belichick right now.

2.) Given that you project your opinion into how Belichick/the team is thinking more than anyone else on this board, any comment about learning and understanding that comes from you is ridiculously hypocritical. Also, again, a message board is for a discussion of what's happening, whether you call it "learning and understanding", discussing and analyzing, or something else. Since Belichick isn't on here daily going over all the minutae, all this "learning and understanding" has to come from people other than your Patron Deity. You cannot do that if you freeze out any negative analysis, which is really what you're arguing for when you bash everyone who questions the actions of the current regime.

3.) Bill's "got a track record that is second to none" is an opinion, not a fact. One could make that same argument of Tony Dungy, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Chuck Knoll and others.

4.) Bill blows a whole lot of smoke up people's skirts during his press conferences, either through false information, deliberately embellished information, or false claims of a lack of information. Believing everything he says is as stupid as discounting everything he says.

Last edited:
Hey while we're at it, in addition to bringing back 27 yr old Seymour why don't we bring back 2003 Ted Washington, 2003-2007 Vrabel, 2003-2004 Rodney and 2003-2004 Bruschi for the playoff run.

Ty Law...Laywer Milloy... it's like Build-A-Fantasy-D using any player, active or retired. We could build an army just using Pats players alone:D

I won't say an ill word about Seymour. I think it was the right move to trade him for what we got, but I'll never claim he wouldn't have made a difference this year. He's a premier 3-4 D-Lineman.

I don't know if he's a premier 3-4 D-lineman at this stage of his career, but I agree with this poster that he could have helped us, we shouldn't speak ill of him and the trade was a good deal for what we got in terms of the big picture.

Seymour would have helped us this year for sure in my opinion. However I still like the trade. If we dont win the super bowl this year. The big question will be whether a Seymour would have been the extra the Patriots needed to win one.

Ty Law...Laywer Milloy... it's like Build-A-Fantasy-D using any player, active or retired. We could build an army just using Pats players alone:D

I like it.

Also have to look that this would have probably been his last year with the Patriots anyway, unless he wanted less money (doubtful)

I am still pleased with the trade. And think a RAIDERS first round pick is greater than 1 year of Seymour.

This. With or without Seymour, without Welker we wouldn't be winning the SB anyway, so I'd rather have the high probability of many years of a very good / elite player starting in 2011 than one year of Seymour before he bolts for the big bucks.

You are a homer. Are you seriously going to claim you're not? You have become such a homer that you confuse reasoned disagreement with being a kneejerk malcontent, and Belichick's word with God's pronouncements.

Now, some notes:

1.) Bill hasn't "earned" the benefit of the doubt from anyone who doesn't agree with that position: It's not something factual, after all. It's a personal opinion regarding BB's status. As you well know, I have always tended to give Belichick the benefit of the doubt, even when I've disagreed with him, prior to his very odd moves this year. He lost that status with me. Hopefully, he'll regain it soon, because I'd rather have more confidence than questions when it comes to the head coach of my favorite teams, and I don't have that when it comes to Belichick right now.

Great, so when you get your confidence back it will be a good thing to be a homer again. Can't wait...

2.) Given that you project your opinion into how Belichick/the team is thinking more than anyone else on this board, any comment about learning and understanding that comes from you is ridiculously hypocritical. Also, again, a message board is for a discussion of what's happening, whether you call it "learning and understanding", discussing and analyzing, or something else. Since Belichick isn't on here daily going over all the minutae, all this "learning and understanding" has to come from people other than your Patron Deity. You cannot do that if you freeze out any negative analysis, which is really what you're arguing for when you bash everyone who questions the actions of the current regime.

We all project our opinions around here, it's only when you disagree with them that everyone else has a problem. I don't bash, posters or players, although I struggle to suffer fools. Look at your supporters of late, reminds me of the little NEMites back in the day... I try to base my opinions on information I glean listening closely to people I accept have more knowledge about the subject than I do. I listen to Bill and to former players, and I try to decipher who is pushing an agenda and who is simply telling me what it is based on inside information and/or years of experience. I listen to DeOssie a lot because while some aspects of his persona annoy me to no end, much as Fred does, I know he's a football savvy guy. Used to listen to him on a Sunday afternoon show when he was first getting into broadcasting and it was the best football programming of the week. I listen to Holley although the farther removed he becomes from Gillette the less he actually knows. He documented not only what happened to Milloy but a good deal of the thought process Belichick employs which is pretty straight forward when all is said and done. He wanted Milloy and Seymour to be his football matters guys. Just didn't pan out long term because they had other agendas beyond winning. He's a DC who never really thought QB's were more than overpaid window dressing to be dismantled, stuck with a QB as his football matters defense savvy soulmate, but it could be worse...they'll make it work eventually.

3.) Bill's "got a track record that is second to none" is an opinion, not a fact. One could make that same argument of Tony Dungy, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Chuck Knoll and others.

It's a fact. Among active HC's no one can touch him in the regular or post season. He's the most accomplished HC in the last decade hands down and for all intents and purposes he was the architect of this dynasty franchise (he had total control of football operations and chose to delegate personnel matters to Pioli only after teaching him all he knew about football) and that is something can few in NFL history, including those who didn't have FA or salary caps to deal with, can compare with dead or alive.

4.) Bill blows a whole lot of smoke up people's skirts during his press conferences, either through false information, deliberately embellished information, or false claims of a lack of information. Believing everything he says is as stupid as discounting everything he says.

I wasn't talking about his press conferences, which are worth a listen but generally offer little insight because of the nature of the idiots asking the questions... Listen to him on Mondays, and listen to him when he does a sitdown with a competent interviewer, or listen to him break down film, or listen to him address a non football audience, or listen to the insight of people who have worked for, with or under him or written about him. Even you could learn a thing or two, difficult as that may be to accept...

You've simply let your anger at his not doing what you though he would or should do overshadow everything else you think of late. It would at least be mildly humerous if it wasn't becoming so incessant and unpleasant...or if you were just another self important clown like NEM. Who I might add at least had a half wacked sense of humor and was entertaining for a while, until he began to see those who mocked his antics a dire conspiracy to undermine his influence within Patriot Nation.

Yeah, that goofy Belichick fellow even so far as to TRADE the guy. Some folks just don't know a good thing. :rolleyes:

Yet, Seymour's eight sacks in '08 are the first thing his staunchest toadies point to in criticizing the trade. Go figure.

A) BB tried to trade Wilfork to the Raiders first
B) Jarvis Green, who got pancaked by a RB against NO, was BB's replacement for Seymour.

The issue was not would this team be better with or without Seymour. The obvious answer is that someone who gets push on every single play and commands two blockers is always a help. I'm still debating whether or not BB was right to commit the cardinal sin of coaching: look past today. Not to mention that the 2011 season might not even happen.

Is this a shock thread?

Huh what when?

LOL another mediot driven fan misconception. It was the Raiders who first inquired about Wilfork and were told NE wasn't interested in dealing him. They asked about Seymour later on and NE was willing to listen.

Someone needs to tell the poster about the cardinal sin of franchise management, shortsightedness. And that whether or not they play in 2011 there will be a draft and it could even be the last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes