PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone seen "42" (Philly Mgr taunting scene)

RecoveringCowboy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the best place for this thread.

This is about the movie "42" when the Phillies manager Ben Chapman is over the top taunting Jackie Robinson with racists remarks. Of course that is totally unacceptable behavior today, but I have a different angle on his smack. Let's just pretend it was extreme but without the N-bombs - just disrespectful. It's still IMHO very stupid. Not only did the opposing manager insult Robinson, but his teammates.

wikipedia said:
In a game against the Philadelphia Phillies, manager Ben Chapman taunts Robinson, causing him to go back to the dugout and smash his bat to vent his anger. With encouragement from Rickey, Robinson then returns to the field and hits a single, steals second base and advances to third on a throwing error and scores the winning run.

One of the things I associate with Belichick is how he will post in the locker room anything disrespecting the team, pitting them against the rest of the world...what is a better motivator than honor? The emotional intelligence of Ben Chapman is incredibly stupid - polar opposite of BB.

Don't know if this is the best place for this thread.

This is about the movie "42" when the Phillies manager Ben Chapman is over the top taunting Jackie Robinson with racists remarks. Of course that is totally unacceptable behavior today, but I have a different angle on his smack. Let's just pretend it was extreme but without the N-bombs - just disrespectful. It's still IMHO very stupid. Not only did the opposing manager insult Robinson, but his teammates.

B.
In reality, Philly was a notoriously hostile place for Robinson. Then again, the Red Sox ownership was not exactly progressive in race relations as they had a chance to sign both Mays and Robinson......Instead they signed Pumpsie Green 10 years later........

The right amount of anger is incredibly helpful for athletic performance. If you're too angry, you aren't focused on what you have to do to win. The right amount of anger will sharpen your focus and boost performance.

It's been said the Cosby show was not an accurate depiction of African Americans bcause they we're depicted as perfect. Sometimes I think people today are jealous of the 50's and 60's because they missed the civil rights movement.

I saw the movie. I'm not sure how much of the movie is historically accurate, or fudged for drama purposes, but it was good. If that manager literally said those things, wow. Can you imagine what life must have been like back then? I can't fathom a world like that, nor what it must have been like to be black in such a society. Kudos to Rickey, and Robinson, who each had the brains, the balls, and the composure to see it through.

The two points in the movie for me:
  • A reminder of how prevalent and blatant racism was back then.
  • Imagine today taunting without the race baiting - I can't because even if it was allowed, these days nobody is stupid enough to enrage an opponent like that I hope?

I saw the movie. I'm not sure how much of the movie is historically accurate, or fudged for drama purposes, but it was good. If that manager literally said those things, wow. Can you imagine what life must have been like back then? I can't fathom a world like that, nor what it must have been like to be black in such a society. Kudos to Rickey, and Robinson, who each had the brains, the balls, and the composure to see it through.

Some details were enhanced, but it was accurate in the big picture - here is the review...
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...rtant-story/U4ZeZ9OTmGH0X9v8SNDYeJ/story.html

Honestly the horrible racism is probably worse than they showed

What I didn't know until recently is that the actor who portrayed Chapman is the same who played
Steve the Pirate in the movie Dodgeball, and is the voice of the robot in the movie I Robot.
Quite a range of characters there.

The Sox' version of Ben Chapman had to be Mike Pinky Higgins, manager from 1955-62, aided and
abetted by the Ty Cobb-worshipping owner Yawkey.

What I didn't know until recently is that the actor who portrayed Chapman is the same who played
Steve the Pirate in the movie Dodgeball, and is the voice of the robot in the movie I Robot.
Quite a range of characters there.

The Sox' version of Ben Chapman had to be Mike Pinky Higgins, manager from 1955-62, aided and
abetted by the Ty Cobb-worshipping owner Yawkey.
he also was in firefly

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back