PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone remember Armond Armstead ?

I was very high on Armstead going into the 2011 season, and then he took a medical redshirt because of heart problems related to medication, and teams passed on him in the draft. I had hopes the Pats might sign him as a UDFA, and they attended his workout.

Claremonster started a thread last month on CFL prospects of interest:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...randon-browner-cameron-wake-warren-moon.html

Armstead immediately jumped out to me, and I hoped that the Pats would take a look at him. I'm glad that they're doing diligence, whether anything comes of it or not. BB is always good about churning the bottom the the roster. It would be a nice signing - he's 22, 6'5" 298# with good athleticism, and should come cheap. He's played outside at DE and inside at DT, has the length and strength to 2-gap, and the speed to run down plays. Here's an old college clip:

Armond Armstead 2012 NFL Draft Prospect Video 6-5, 295, DE USC - YouTube

Last spring he was a medical question mark who hadn't played in 8 months, but now he's had a season in the CFL without medical issues, and with high productivity. At worst he's training camp fodder, or PS material. At best, he could provide the outside/inside combination that the Pats were hoping to get from Jonathan Fanene. Even if nothing comes of it, I'm glad that the Pats are taking a look.

Of course. I had him in all of my mock drafts last year, but as an UDFA. He could surely help out our grizzly shortage.

I'd love to see some game video of him in the CFL.

This is all I found. Armond Armstead 2012 CFL All-Star Highlight Video - YouTube

BTW, is the CFL stronger or weaker competition than the SEC?

I don't know about stronger or weaker, but the SEC has a much more NFL feel to it. These offensive lineman look like they're spaced differently. Still an interesting prospect.

Really hope they sign him. He'd be a great fit in this defense if he pans out.

are there any other young cfl guys that could have success in the nfl?

Would this guy sign with the Pats after the season if he can get signed now by other teams?

Would this guy sign with the Pats after the season if he can get signed now by other teams?

There's nothing stopping the Pats from signing him now to a futures contract. He's not eligible to play this year in the playoffs, based on an NFL rule enjoining CFL players from playing in the NFL in the same season.

Adam Schefter says that Indy and Philly also worked out Armstead, and thinks he will be the equivalent of a "high draft pick":

Armond Armstead, formerly of Toronto Argonauts, on NFL teams' radar -- sources - ESPN

If that assessment is correct, Armstead may be viewed as a potential starting DE/DT similar to how Jonathan Fanene was viewed a year ago, but 7 years younger, and with much higher upside. Add a talent like that - again, assuming Schefter's assessment is correct - to our current DL, and the Pats have suddenly significantly upgraded their DL.

Remember also, the Pats won the highly contested Jeff Demps and Brandon Bolden derbies, so BB clearly has some ability to persuade sought after UDFAs that the Pats offer the best opportunities for personal and team success. Sith mind tricks, no doubt. I think he could reasonably convince Armstead that he has a shot of playing a significant role on the team, and earning considerable playing time. The rest is a matter of money.

There's nothing stopping the Pats from signing him now to a futures contract. He's not eligible to play this year in the playoffs, based on an NFL rule enjoining CFL players from playing in the NFL in the same season.

Adam Schefter says that Indy and Philly also worked out Armstead, and thinks he will be the equivalent of a "high draft pick":

Armond Armstead, formerly of Toronto Argonauts, on NFL teams' radar -- sources - ESPN

If that assessment is correct, Armstead may be viewed as a potential starting DE/DT similar to how Jonathan Fanene was viewed a year ago, but 7 years younger, and with much higher upside. Add a talent like that - again, assuming Schefter's assessment is correct - to our current DL, and the Pats have suddenly significantly upgraded their DL.

Remember also, the Pats won the highly contested Jeff Demps and Brandon Bolden derbies, so BB clearly has some ability to persuade sought after UDFAs that the Pats offer the best opportunities for personal and team success. Sith mind tricks, no doubt. I think he could reasonably convince Armstead that he has a shot of playing a significant role on the team, and earning considerable playing time. The rest is a matter of money.

With only 3 picks in the first six rounds. Signing Armstead can take the sting away from what's not going to be a great draft. Also, basically red-shirted Demps and Zusevics. Two draftable players last year who weren't because of injury and Olympics.

With only 3 picks in the first six rounds. Signing Armstead can take the sting away from what's not going to be a great draft. Also, basically red-shirted Demps and Zusevics. Two draftable players last year who weren't because of injury and Olympics.

Jake Bequette also essentially had a red shirt year, FWIW. Maybe nothing, maybe something. And don't forget Jake Ballard. That's 4 players plus possibly Armstead in addition to what looks to be the most talented and deep team since at least 2007.

IF the Pats can sign Armstead and IF he is indeed a top 100 talent (he's only 22, and missed his senior year at USC), then you could essential view him as a 4th top 100 pick. Adding a potential impact DL - plus the possible maturation of Bequette - would free the team up to address OL, WR and DB with their other 3 picks, or just go BPA.

yeah thats one of the reasons i want to sign this guy. its a draft pick without using a pick. itll be nice next year when we get more contribution out of ebner, demps, zusevics, bequette and possibly armstead. all good players that didnt really play this year.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back