PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone noticed Tavon Wilson lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a decent STer so there's that.

Can't complain too much tho when you nab Hightower and Jones in the 1st round.
Yeah those 2 were good picks. Jamie Collin the year after was outstanding too. Since we are fans we can still complain though [emoji12]

Yeah those 2 were good picks. Jamie Collin the year after was outstanding too. Since we are fans we can still complain though [emoji12]
If we had the ability to hindsight Draft players we'd all be pretty strong GM candidates. :eek:

Yeah well TY Hilton went 2 picks after Bequette so we missed a lot more than Iloka.

You can go through pretty much every single team in the 2012 draft and find a pick they wasted instead of Hilton. You should also include the Colts, who took Dwayne Allen almost 30 picks ahead of Hilton.

And at his position, you could easily argue Hilton should have been selected ahead of 1st-rounders Justin Blackmon and A.J. Jenkins, while 2nd-rounders were wasted on Brian Quick, Stephen Hill, and Ryan Broyles, and 3rd-rounders ahead of pick 92 spent on Devier Posey, T.J. Graham, and Mohamed Sanu.

And Hilton himself gives a ton of credit to Reggie Wayne for helping him. Imagine if Wayne were a selfish superstar who wasn't willing to lend a hand to a fellow Hurricane. Does that change Hilton's trajectory? Who knows?

The draft is always a crapshoot and sometimes you make good picks but they don't work out. Sometimes you make bad picks and they do.

Bringing it back to Wilson, he's improved and flashed at times throughout the season. He's making next to nothing. He plays special teams and adds quality depth and is starting to make noticeable plays. Considering play-off teams like the Cardinals are starting a scrub QB and the Steelers have no proven back-up at RB and the Ravens don't have 2 quality corners on their entire roster, it seems ridiculous and a bit hilarious to be arguing over the value of our 4th safety.

Yeah well TY Hilton went 2 picks after Bequette so we missed a lot more than Iloka.

Don't worry, Jake Bequette will have a breakout season in 2015. :D

Don't worry, Jake Bequette will have a breakout season in 2015. :D
We on the same page brother. This is going to be the year, Jake will no longer be held back by Bill Belichick...[emoji108]

Sometimes you win in the draft, sometimes you lose... overall since the departure of Pioli the Pats seem to have gotten better.

But as a team we do not seem to do a good job of developing WR's and DB's... seems to me that there are a few who have done well elsewhere.

Wilson is our backup to Chung. Harmon is our backup to McCourty, and also replaced Chung on pure passing downs. Both will certainly be back next year. Actually, I would like Wilson to continue to perform as he has this year. We would then re-sign him for inexpensive money next year.

The obvious issue is for us to re-sign our starters.

See, see? Ha ha, I sure called it. He was just playing possum. BB shrewdly played everybody including the popcorn vendor ahead of him for months, just so he'd have the element of surprise against Rex!

Flying under the radar that's for sure

While I dodge the rotten tomatoes...

He hasn't played much, some garbage time. Of course he plays special teams, but I just watch the games and sometimes I'll notice a good play, hard hit, surprising speed, and I've noticed him more than once.

Of course this isn't an argument about draft position. No doubt other players drafted around that time stepped right in as starters. Others were busts - never to be heard from again - but at least they went before Mel Kiper said they should, so that's OK.

Back to Wilson. He's big (6' 215) fast and played corner, safety and slot in college. As contracts go, he stands to go into his prime, because he's a special teams stalwart, as a very affordable option, if he's learned from his 2nd year mistakes. Since we scored on Chung 2.0 and Harmon is decent and young, it seems, with good attitudes and improvement, that we're growing a decent, affordable safety squad regardless of free agent exigencies.

Since I expect a rotten tomato or two on this, I'd like to mention this article which says Wilson had 7 visits besides the Patriots and who appointed the people who picked Johnny Manziell to be number one through five and a downright bargain at 22 anyway?

Wilson a reach in Round 2? Not to Bill Belichick

Lots of players in the league now who showed little for 2-3 years and we praise the teams smart enough to see the diamond in the rough. I see a big maybe for the future, but that's because I'm not smart enough to tell a late bloomer from a clunker anyway.

Thoughts on this, or the less heralded members of the secondary going forward?

He was huge as the third CB last night. Played very well.

I'm ok with him being our 8th Free Safety in the depth chart.
You guys DO know he played 50 snaps last night, most of them at CB, right?

He had a couple nice plays on ST if I recall. Pretty sure he absolutely murdered 23 to help spring Amendola on that punt return in the 3rd (?).

are we sure it was at CB?

it seemed to me what eneded up happening is they moved Chung from his usual spot to play CB3 and moved wilson to replace Chung

maybe they had the two split the responsibilities throughout the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes