PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone noticed Tavon Wilson lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
his a backup and a good ST player who we are not hearing a lot of cause his doing his job but I don't ever see him as a starting Safety unless the pats **** the bed and don't re-sign McCourty and don't Draft or sign a replacement and he is forced to start,

if he was a 4th round pick we would say he is a good backup and a nice pick but because he was a mid 2th round pick a lot of us want to label him a bust

Serious question, if Tavon becomes a consistent 30-40% snap guy and an big 4 special teamer, is he still a bust?
Sustaining said performance for 4+ years wouldn't be a bust if it was a late 1st round pick.

Everyone is right. Wilson is a limited player (Chung gets more snaps) who has ably filled an important role in the secondary and of course special teams. Personnel management on the defensive side of the ball in particular has been outstanding.

Serious question, if Tavon becomes a consistent 30-40% snap guy and an big 4 special teamer, is he still a bust?

Well, that depends entirely on the stance the person you're debating with took when Wilson was drafted because sticking to your guns and being right on the internet is the most important thing ever.

Like Chung, Wilson still sucks. Also like Chung, Wilson is being blessed with playing along with a trio of Browner, Revis and McCourty, which is allowing him to play a very limited on-field role that lessens his exposure and conceals his weaknesses.

Let's say he went drafted in the 4th or 5th round, probably no one would use the word bust because it does not apply to late round picks. The problem in the Wilson pick is that it was a top 5 reaches of all times.

Let's say he went drafted in the 4th or 5th round, probably no one would use the word bust because it does not apply to late round picks. The problem in the Wilson pick is that it was a top 5 reaches of all times.

Whether the pick was considered a "reach" at the time is irrelevant - it's not a reach if the player plays to the level of the pick. Sebastian Vollmer was considered a reach at the time, and clearly wasn't. Wilson hasn't played to the level of a mid-2nd round pick. Lots of guys who weren't considered reaches at the time also haven't (Stephen Hill, Jonathan Martin, Jerel Worthy).

What level of performance would justify a mid-2nd round pick? If you're looking for a productive multi-year starter, then no, 30-40% snaps + core STs probably isn't enough. If you're looking for a solid contributor, then yes.

Want another example of a good safety that took a few years to develop, just look at local kid, James Ihedigbu. He went from an UDFA Jets discard to the starting S of a superbowl team in 2 years and most of us couldn't wait to upgrade. He then catches on with the Ravens as a back up and is thrust into their superbowl run.....and they can't wait to "upgrade". He then goes to the Lions where by all accounts he's developed into a better than average starter on a great defense. It takes time, folks

As to Wilson, the media and fans marked him as a loser right after he took a fake and had his man beat him for a game winning TD. And we know that THAT should NEVER happen, especially to a rookie. DB. They should NEVER get beaten on pass plays.....ever. :rolleyes:. The unfair thing is that the same people who wanted to run Wilson out of the league are the same people who have watched Tom Brady do the same thing to future HOFer Troy Palomalu about a half dozen time for over a decade. (and a bunch of other S's as well)

By all real accounts Wilson had a very productive rookie year, and I know I expected great things his second year.....which we all know didn't happen and no seems to know why. Although it seems injuries were a part of it. But for whatever the reason, his 2nd season was a lost one.

That being said, the much maligned Wilson has turned himself into a key core STer, and a solid back up contributor who is earning an increasing number of snaps as the season has gone on. He looks stronger, faster and more decisive. Effective enough that even the casual fan has started to notice.

The point is that 3 years ago BB, farseeing as usual) understood how the game was being irrevocably changed and thought it was imperative to start to look for the new prototype of what a SS used to be. No longer could a team afford to draft an "in the box" guy who couldn't move in open space. BB understood early that in the new NFL you need S's who had more in common with CB's than LBs in their skill sets. To BB Wilson fit that skill set better than anyone left on the board that year.

Think about that. Pryor and Vaccarro were almost unanimously considered first round locks in their draft....and both would have been worth it.....in 2002. Now both are finding problems trying to find a significant role in a league that is finding less and less need for a set of skills more suited for a game that no longer exists.

Remember, BB has always said that the 2nd round is where you take youf biggest boom/bust shots. The same round that gave us Ras I and Chad Jackson, is the same one that gave us Gronk and Collins (BTW-IIRC Ras I and Jackson were pretty much universally applauded, while drafting a TE who had just a few dozen college catches in college and a really bad back, and a Jack of all trades and master of none, high in the 2nd was very much questioned

In the end, with Wilson, I think BB will turn out to be right, although a couple of years later than expected, although not to the level of success the Gronk and Collins picks turned out. If you can get a solid starter out of a mid 2nd round pick, I think it should be considered a success. I believe that Wilson will turn out to be that kind of player before his career is over. It might not be here, but somewhere.

Last edited:
Like Chung, Wilson still sucks. Also like Chung, Wilson is being blessed with playing along with a trio of Browner, Revis and McCourty, which is allowing him to play a very limited on-field role that lessens his exposure and conceals his weaknesses.

For the vast majority of players in the NFL, whether they "suck" or excel will depend to a large degree on how they are used and the talent around them. Ask them to play out of position or do something outside of their skill set, or to compensate for a lack of talent around them, and almost everyone will struggle. Pat Chung struggled in 2012 with a lousy secondary and asked to be a coverage safety. Tavon Wilson struggled when asked to be a deep coverage safety, a role not suited to his skill set. Both are playing better in roles better suited to their skill sets and surrounded by better players. Not surprising, and not different from a ton of guys on other teams who apparently don't "suck".

I remember many on this board, including me, wanted him.
He is a big safety in the Kam Chancellor mold. I liked him coming out as well, we didn't have a 5th rounder that season though.

It's a step in the right direction

Slater got an extension as a pure ST guy. He's had 286 snaps on the ST units, best for 2nd on the team. Wilson is 1st with 324, and I think it's well documented how much the impotance of ST's play Belichick puts emphasis on.

He's as much a safety as Slater is a WR. A back-up for when a guy is banged up or needs a breather. His role on this team seems to be clearly defined IMO.

I disagree. He's got good size and speed and insticts, in a way at safety. ha a pretty good run his first year with four interceptions before he screwed up more than once letting somebody free over the top. He's played a lot of special teams but is wroking on the defense all the time, I'm guessing. ST just gives him time to work on technique and confidence. According to Belichick, in the article I linked, he's played corner, safety, nickel dime in a major conference against good competition.

Slater, on the other hand, was drafted as a special teams player. He had zero receptions as a receiver. He played more on the pats as a safety, a traumatic memory I'm sorry was brought up again. He is maybe the best special teams player in football. You haven't at all made the case that they are similar.

I don't like the tag for guys that contribute, but i think if you look at statistics. most players after the top half of round one are probably out of the league by years five.

As I stated, i think there are lots of reasons for drafting besides getting marquee guys. Picking a late blooming guy with good character and measurables means an affordable salary and experienced player after a few years as opposed to a hot rookie talent that might or might not be worth a big second contract.

I really do think BB layers his drafts so that players become experienced and/or pricey in a predictable way. In other words, not have a lot of players at one position who are stars salary wise and come due at the same time. you see other teams have fire sales where cutting valuable players blows a hole in a certain position.

We are experiencing some growing pains at OLine, but we got a high 4th and Wright for a player who is declining compared to his salary (IMO) and still retained 2 vets who came in to solidify when the young players, minus stork, were inadequate. Still needs work, but not as bad as many lines I've seen over the years.

Not every guy in your team is going to be going to the Pro Bowl. However, if you can get a guy to do a certain job which benefits the team, then that is fine.

Wilson has become a good depth guy and will get time to improve to see if he can be more than that. Maybe he will, or maybe he won't. There is a big difference between being that and a bum!

Not every guy in your team is going to be going to the Pro Bowl. However, if you can get a guy to do a certain job which benefits the team, then that is fine.

Wilson has become a good depth guy and will get time to improve to see if he can be more than that. Maybe he will, or maybe he won't. There is a big difference between being that and a bum!

Low cost contributors are very valuable. If Wilson can contribute at a decent level as a STer and rotational safety, he's worth re-signing as long as the money is reasonable. Otherwise, such guys are replaceable, but not to be despised.

He is a big safety in the Kam Chancellor mold. I liked him coming out as well, we didn't have a 5th rounder that season though.
Yet we a 3rd to spend on Jake Bequette. .. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back