Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone notice...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

How the ads inside this forum, relate directly to something you've searched for, or some website you've recently visited, on the net? Go look for a flight to Bangkok on Kayak, and watch how all the in forum ads will mimic that. I find this incredibly intrusive. Look up computer components, and then suddenly the ad on the bottom of the forum is for video cards at some etailer. Our information, and search history, is being harvested without our knowledge.

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

Been searching for a good new used driver, and on about every site there is some ad about golf... think that they call that malware...

3. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cookies... mmmm...

4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes it is an unfortunate reality of the tech world within which we live. I once did a google search for the Bellagio (thinking of staying there) and now I see tons of Vegas ads, including the Bellagio as well as other properties.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its probably in the EULA and I'll take it over having to pay for access.

Just delete your browsing history and cookies.

6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Google blows. They screamed about censorship before selling their soul to get into China, where their true colors showed. This company is not your friend, as so many like to say these days.

Sergey Brin: "We Want Google To Be The Third Half Of Your Brain."

Sep 9 2010, 08:10 PM EDT

Sergey Brin wants Google to become the "third half of your brain."

That's what he said at today's big search event, where Google released Google Instant, its fast, streaming search results.

We're not exactly certain what Brin meant, but we think he was trying to say Google will know what you want in a search, perhaps even before you know.

Read more: Sergey Brin: "We Want Google To Be The Third Half Of Your Brain."

8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

I see an ad for "The League" on fX. ... Never searched for it, but Taco makes me happy.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

10. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

LOL just livin' our dream baby:rocker:

About the ads tho, I had exactly the same experience as in your OP, maybe even worse. I was looking at a ladies' shoes website, it's not a well-known one, kind of expensive, and specialized in only metal colors (nickel, bronze,etc) which was exactly what I was looking for so I checked out the site. When I went to sign on here, a banner ad for that SAME shoe site popped on! I freaked, that was just too damn creepy.

A couple of days later I caught something on the news about something called Behavioral Marketing/ Advertising online, tracks absolutely everything you do, everywhere you go, etc. They recommended this site: Network Advertising Initiative Just scroll down a little bit to the opt-out and go from there. It really helps and it's free. Interesting read about this so-called Behavioral Advertising too:cool:
    Good luck!

EDIT: Even though I deleted cookies etc, I kept seeing that exact same ad, for days btw.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010