PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone nervous about Moss' effectiveness...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Anyone nervous about Moss' effectiveness....

Adjustments will be made, we have the best coaching staff in the league.

Amen to that brother!!

:rocker::rocker:

Did you see game 1 where he beat triple coverage to score a TD? There's no reason to get nervous. If anything he'll do better next year.

People forget that lingering injuries last summer severely limited the reps that Randy had in camp and in the preseason, not just in preseason games but in practices too.

I think that he will be used more creatively this year, lining up more often in different places. If you put him in motion, switch sides, or have him shift to the slot now and then, defenses will be crapping their pants.

Knowing the system, McDaniel knowing his tendencies, and an improved running game should all combine to make Randy's role in the offense far less predictable this year. I don't expect nearly the season TD total, but I don't expect to see the playoff numbers either.

Also we won't have that bogus "he hurt his secret girlfriend" BS thrown at him either.

Last edited:

Yeah lets hope so .. you know for a fact this years "blueprint" will be bump and run coverage on Moss/Welker and a pass rush on the right side of the line

The whole 30 yards downfield to Moss play was overdone last year and id like to see both him and the other wideout (Gaffney or Jackson?) running slants, quick outs, hitches etc where you would think Moss would excel given his heght and catching abaility. I can see they did that to an extent to open it up underneath for Welker and the guy coming out of the flats (Faulk etc) but i'd like to see them use more short plays and make more use of the TE's

If we'd called more short plays like that in the SB wed have done better but it seemed a very one dimensional play book that day

One thing I sometimes wonder about Moss is if he's aggressive/physical enough to fight through tight coverage, especially late in the season in cold weather. I wouldn't expect him to consistently beat double coverage, but by the same token I wouldn't expect him to completely disappear like he did for periods late last year.

not really worried....I might be a touch worried he wont be as effective as last year but who can expect last year every year. He will be plenty effective and I am not really worried.

Not really worried at all for several reasons:

1.) Moss has already been quoted that McDaniels is planning to use him a lot differently this season than last year. More over the middle stuff and more in motion routes.
2.) Weather played a factor in some of his lack of production in games. Both the Baltimore and Jets games were horrible games for the deep game.
3.) McDaniels successfully utilized other weapons and used Moss as a decoy. Look at the Jacksonville game. Brady broke the completion percentage record and got three TDs, Maroney had a big game, and the Pats scored on every drive other than 2 (one missed field goal and a garbage time drive to run out the clock). The only game it didn't work was the Super Bowl, but as pointed out, Moss and Stallworth were getting open a lot, but Brady didn't have the time to get the ball to him.
4.) With both Maroney and Sammy Morris healthy, I expect the offense to be more balanced. We aren't going to see as much of the Tom and Randy show because the Pats will run much more with a one-two punch of Maroney and Morris. Conversely, the running game will also force teams to not double and triple team Moss nearly as much.
5.) Moss struggled against CBs who can jam him at the line and there just aren't that many physical CBs out there.

I don't expect Moss to have as good of a year as last year this season, but I don't think the offense will suffer for it. I think the Pats will just be more balance on offense.

Last edited:

The second half scores are skewed by one game - the Buffalo Sunday Night game.

True...but lets say he got 2 TDs in that game instead of 4, what does that give him, 9 for the 2nd half?? Which projects to 18 TDs, tied for 2nd alltime and an easy all-Pro season. Even if you cherry pick and project Randy's second half stats starting with his "rough patch" in Philly he would still project to having a 14 TD season. Moss is 2nd half performance has been drastically exaggerated in the past couple of months, probably because of his performances against Jax and SD in the playoffs, which weren't his fault, especially against the Jags..

"Anyone nervous about Moss' effectiveness...."

Um.........NOPE.

in the offense this year? Once teams started to double cover him late in the season, and took him out of the play (and McDaniels seemed to make minimal attempt to make adjustments or changes in schemes to free Randy) his productivity and effectiveness dropped way off..........

Since McDaniels isn't going anywhere....and teams will no doubt continue to do the same thing to "tie up" Randy......is anyone worried that we may not see that explosiveness much from him.......and if they don't find some way to get him involved.....will his positive attitude go south again........Appreciate your opinions.....

i would have to say...........................no

Once teams started to double cover him late in the season, and took him out of the play (and McDaniels seemed to make minimal attempt to make adjustments or changes in schemes to free Randy) his productivity and effectiveness dropped way off...

This simply isn't true.

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct. We are all just drunk off the stats from last year and want a repeat performance (with a different ending ;) ).

How often do you see the greatest passing team ever not make it all the way?

Happens on a regular basis and we've been the one exploiting it often (Rams, Colts).

It's just like working the body in boxing. Tires your opponent out so the speed will finish them off.

If we don't get a rhythm going with LMo and Sammy we have no one to blame but ourselves.

I'd love to see Moss getting open at the end of the year instead of getting pounded, which he was since the Philly game last year.

Last edited:
I am not worried... 6'4 who can jump and has great hand eye cordination? Nothing to worry about with that hall of famer!

This simply isn't true.

I think what gets me a little concerned is that in the last few games his # of passes that came his way dropped off a bit.......5 catches against philly, 4 against Balt, 7 against Pitt was good......then 5 against NYJ with no TD's......Just seems to me that he seemed to disappear a bit towards the end of the season......I just hope we do more to open it up at times like that for him......and that maybe Jackson will become the threat that we all thought he would be coming out of college........and then with Welk and Gaff......make them pick their poison a little more.......thx

If Jackson can become a deep threat..Moss will have another field day out there this season

I think what gets me a little concerned is that in the last few games his # of passes that came his way dropped off a bit.......5 catches against philly, 4 against Balt, 7 against Pitt was good......then 5 against NYJ with no TD's......Just seems to me that he seemed to disappear a bit towards the end of the season....

Couple of points:

1)Receptions are the most overrated statistic for a receiver, the only value in accounting for recs is the correlating relationship they have on Yards and TDs, the two key stats for any WR. Plus Moss has always been a relatively low reception receiver who has insanely high Yards/rec, the ultimate big play receiver basically.

2)Of the 4 games you picked, he had 100+ Yards in 2 of them, and had 5 TDs...that alone should ease the worrying for many.

3)Not sure how well you remember the games, but bad weather was a HUGE factor, particularly against Baltimore and the Jets, the wind was ridiculous and basically took away the big play. Actually, there was a play against Baltimore where Moss BADLY beat Mccallister and Brady threw it up but the ball just hung there and was 20 Yards short cause of the wind.

4)You can look at 4 game stretches of any player, including Brady who had his own bad stretch, and make them tell you anything.

Even though we were all assured that Randy had "slowed down", he set the all-time TD receptions record last season. The only thing that's going to prevent Moss from being tremendously effective this season is an injury to either himself or to Brady. Barring that, the Brady-to-Moss show will continue to be among the most dynamic in NFL history.

Even though we were all assured that Randy had "slowed down", he set the all-time TD receptions record last season. The only thing that's going to prevent Moss from being tremendously effective this season is an injury to either himself or to Brady. Barring that, the Brady-to-Moss show will continue to be among the most dynamic in NFL history.

I agree..but I would add one more requirement, a healthy and solid OL. The OL is always important for a WR, but its critical for Moss to produce because of the time required for his routes to take formation. A lot of people wonder what happened those 2 years in Oakland, and while the QBs, coaching, and environment were all terrible...the biggest reason for Moss is dip in performance was their terrible OL. Plus, for more recent evidence, we only have to go back to the Superbowl, where Moss was routinely burning the Giants ssecondary but had nothing to show for it cause Brady was on his ass with 4 Giants on him.

I'm not at all worried about Randy Moss. Good teams adjust to situations and the good teams out there adjusted to Randy Moss. Now it's up to us to come up with something new. Randy's fine, but if CJack steps up and does what we're hoping he can do Moss will just be enhanced that much more.

Speculation was that Moss was hurting/injured at the end of last season but I can't remember if anything ever came of that. I have to believe that after the season they'd had, many of them probably were feeling some pain and playing through various degrees of various injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back