PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone interested in potential free agent CB Sam Madison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Madison is better than Ty Law right now. Madison's a press corner, and the Patriots like press corners. He was also an all-pro for a good 2 or 3 year stretch a couple years ago.

"Madison's tackling appears much improved in the Dolphins' current four-game winning streak."

BB's first question about a defensive player 'can he tackle'. This line suggests he was having troubles bringing guys down, but bring him to camp and let him compete.

At the right price, I'd be interested in giveing most people a look. However, Madison has been slowing down the past few years and I don't think he'd be interested in the type of money we'd be offering. Just my 2 cents worth.

Atlanta Patsfan said:
At the right price, I'd be interested in giveing most people a look. However, Madison has been slowing down the past few years and I don't think he'd be interested in the type of money we'd be offering. Just my 2 cents worth.[/Q

I think he is a good Corner back and if we were to slide him Duane Starks money, I wonder if that would work.
I would welcome SM being another in a growing list pf players wanting to come to a proven winner and be part of our dynasty.

I'll take a Samuel, a healthy Gay and a 2nd year Hobbs over Madison.

Zuma said:

I'll take those three, happily, and raise you one Madison which makes a solid four. If it ever happened, look at it as, addition + Sam Madison, by subtraction - Duane Starks.

Last edited:
fgssand said:
I'll take those three, happily, and raise you one Madison which makes a solid four. If it ever happened, look at it as, addition + Sam Madison, by subtraction - Duane Starks.
Sounds great...but I don't think Madison wants to ride the pine or play nickle or dime. Right or wrong...the fans use him as a scape goat on occasion. I think he still feels like he needs to prove something as a starting CB on the outside.

Last edited:
Zuma said:

I wouldn't. I'll take Madison to start along side one of those guys.

I just prefer to keep the guys we drafted and develop them instead of a player many down here consider is starting to go down hill. Our guys are starting to show great promise. I think the future is bright with Samuel, Gay and Hobbs. In BB I trust.

Last edited:
3 questions

Atlanta Patsfan said:
At the right price, I'd be interested in giveing most people a look. However, Madison has been slowing down the past few years and I don't think he'd be interested in the type of money we'd be offering. Just my 2 cents worth.

madison can probably still play. IMHO he's a lot better than Starks/Poole.
but here it is:
is he one of those tough, smart, leader types?
will he stick his head in there?
will he play cheap?
given that, i'll never understand those two "veteran" CBs who sucked up 2 roster spots and about $2.5 million in cap money, per year, for 2 years.

ilduce06410 said:
madison can probably still play. IMHO he's a lot better than Starks/Poole.
but here it is:
is he one of those tough, smart, leader types?
will he stick his head in there?
will he play cheap?
given that, i'll never understand those two "veteran" CBs who sucked up 2 roster spots and about $2.5 million in cap money, per year, for 2 years.

I would be willing to bet that Pioli and BB are already considering the possibilities. BB has always had a spot on the Pats for the crafty veteran that knows how to get the job done despite being past his prime. Madison is a good corner who gets respect in the NFL so I would bet that there are other teams that would love to have Madison. But year after year, AFC east players change teams so I would not be surprised to see Madison end up here but I think that there is a good chance that he would take a pay cut to stay in Miami.

pay cut to stay in miami?

FloridaPatsFan said:
I would be willing to bet that Pioli and BB are already considering the possibilities. BB has always had a spot on the Pats for the crafty veteran that knows how to get the job done despite being past his prime. Madison is a good corner who gets respect in the NFL so I would bet that there are other teams that would love to have Madison. But year after year, AFC east players change teams so I would not be surprised to see Madison end up here but I think that there is a good chance that he would take a pay cut to stay in Miami.
i suppose, particularly if he's got a wife and kids settled in that area.
but if that's not the case...you gotta be kidding me.
yeah, i appreciate the artistic merit of watching #55 and #93 do the boogaloo in (pepsi?) commercials. it's great to see them instead of looking at f#c*!ng joe montana's mug in every spot all the time. or troy aikman's. or donovan mcnabb's. i don't remember any of the convicts on the ravens getting much play.
even more delightful for us 21st century patriot fan is that all the grizzled vets wanna play here! nah, they don't wann go to kc, or indy, or da bears, thhey want to come here! they take pay cuts and they're grateful!! iloveitiloveit.
just another of those things that goes with being a fan ofSB chmapions.

Madison should have been the Pats' first-round pick in 1997 instead of Chris f-ing Canty. Just like when we passed on Dan Marino to take Champagne Tony Eason in 1983...

But, I admit to not having paid much attention to Madison over the past several seasons.

heaven help usl, chris canty

Harrison37 said:
Madison should have been the Pats' first-round pick in 1997 instead of Chris f-ing Canty. Just like when we passed on Dan Marino to take Champagne Tony Eason in 1983...

But, I admit to not having paid much attention to Madison over the past several seasons.
just the mention of that name creates a little sour taste. he was pete carroll's very first pick. all you patriot fans watching the rose bowl, keep this in mind. when you hear all the talk about how pete had a raw deal in the nfl:
pete carroll's first pick, trend setter for the new patriots, was chris canty, 5-9, 185, K-State.
the next year, tebucky jones, a college safety, to be the much-heralded "press corner". a term never heard before or since.
in 199, he did ok with damien woody.
it appears that, in Jan 2005, canty was trying out for a spot on the Las Vegas Gladiators of the AFL.

ilduce06410 said:
just the mention of that name creates a little sour taste. he was pete carroll's very first pick. all you patriot fans watching the rose bowl, keep this in mind. when you hear all the talk about how pete had a raw deal in the nfl:
pete carroll's first pick, trend setter for the new patriots, was chris canty, 5-9, 185, K-State.
the next year, tebucky jones, a college safety, to be the much-heralded "press corner". a term never heard before or since.
in 199, he did ok with damien woody.
it appears that, in Jan 2005, canty was trying out for a spot on the Las Vegas Gladiators of the AFL.

I think that Bobby Grier had the final say on draft picks and other personnel.

Bob Kraft learned a lot during those years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes