PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone interested in doing some scouting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you think of Stevan Ridley as an LSU player?
What players will you be particularly looking forward to seeing this year? Any that you feel fit the "Patriots" mold?

My scouting report on Ridley was that he doesn't go down on first contact, always falls forward, and has underrated vision. I thought he was deceptively quick and fast, but he's not that kind of runner. He's effective inside the tackles, but once he gets outside, he struggles; he's just not that kind of runner. He has good hands coming out of the backfield, effective within that 5-10 yard range. He's not a RB who will split out and run routes like Vareen or Bush. Didn't see too much of him blocking, but he seemed to struggle and lunged too often. Jordan Jefferson was one of the top 5-10 worst QB's in the nation, and Ridley was still effective with alot of guys in the box.

2012 Draft:
OLB-I really like Devin Taylor from USC. As well as Brandon Jenkins and Courtney Upshaw. Skov is another guy I'll be keeping my eye on.

WR- Fuller, Broyles, and Sanu.

OL- Brewster(what a perfect fit), Osemele(at G), Mike Adams, Datko and Ad****.

DL-Not a huge fan of anywhere here who will be available when the Pats pick. Crick is nice, but I like Heyward and Jordan better and they were late 1st rounders this year.

S- Huge Kenny Tate fan. I know he's going to OLB this year, but he's got speed and he can tackle. I like Lester, but he can't tackle worth a damn. I like Barron, but he's not a playmaker. Those two 'Bama safeties are complete opposites.

The other positions(QB, RB, TE, CB), I don't see as needs for this upcoming draft.

Some guys I don't like: Cliff Harris, Zach Brown, S. Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Donte Paige-Moss, Richardson, Forston, Floyd, L. James, Childs, Armstrong.

I'll be watching DE Vinnie Curry at Marshall this year. He might be a good fit for the 4-3. Might not get to watch him rush the passer much because most opponents will be playing with a big lead for most the game unfortunately...

I'll be watching DE Vinnie Curry at Marshall this year. He might be a good fit for the 4-3. Might not get to watch him rush the passer much because most opponents will be playing with a big lead for most the game unfortunately...

Did he play 4-3 LDE last year? if so, I know who you are talking about. I was at the Ohio State game and I was pissed at the incompetence of OSU's RT

Did he play 4-3 LDE last year? if so, I know who you are talking about. I was at the Ohio State game and I was pissed at the incompetence of OSU's RT

Dude, let me know what you think of the MSU team when they go down to Columbus. Particularly William "too tall" Gholston.

Dude, let me know what you think of the MSU team when they go down to Columbus. Particularly William "too tall" Gholston.

Will do. I remember watching couple of his games last season. I think he played LB in a 4-3...which is odd because of his height.

I think Curry was primarily a LDE in a 4-3. His line against WVU was 7 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 3 TFL. He probably needs to add a little weight.

My scouting report on Ridley was that he doesn't go down on first contact, always falls forward, and has underrated vision. I thought he was deceptively quick and fast, but he's not that kind of runner. He's effective inside the tackles, but once he gets outside, he struggles; he's just not that kind of runner. He has good hands coming out of the backfield, effective within that 5-10 yard range. He's not a RB who will split out and run routes like Vareen or Bush. Didn't see too much of him blocking, but he seemed to struggle and lunged too often. Jordan Jefferson was one of the top 5-10 worst QB's in the nation, and Ridley was still effective with alot of guys in the box.

2012 Draft:
OLB-I really like Devin Taylor from USC. As well as Brandon Jenkins and Courtney Upshaw. Skov is another guy I'll be keeping my eye on.

WR- Fuller, Broyles, and Sanu.

OL- Brewster(what a perfect fit), Osemele(at G), Mike Adams, Datko and Ad****.

DL-Not a huge fan of anywhere here who will be available when the Pats pick. Crick is nice, but I like Heyward and Jordan better and they were late 1st rounders this year.

S- Huge Kenny Tate fan. I know he's going to OLB this year, but he's got speed and he can tackle. I like Lester, but he can't tackle worth a damn. I like Barron, but he's not a playmaker. Those two 'Bama safeties are complete opposites.

The other positions(QB, RB, TE, CB), I don't see as needs for this upcoming draft.

Some guys I don't like: Cliff Harris, Zach Brown, S. Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, Donte Paige-Moss, Richardson, Forston, Floyd, L. James, Childs, Armstrong.

Do you not like childs because of the injury? I hope he is the same player as he was before he got hurt

Didn't he tear his ACL or break his leg?

Yeah he tore his ACL in a blowout of vanderbilt when he probably should have been out of the game. sucks. We probably would have won the sugar bowl with him

But if he is the same player then he's being pretty underrated going into the season IMO

Do you not like childs because of the injury? I hope he is the same player as he was before he got hurt

I did not like him before the injury. He's listed at 6'3" but I never thought he played that big. Don't think he's the fastest guy either. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a late 1st to late 2nd assuming he gets healthy, but I don't think he's anywhere near Blackmon or fellow SECer Jeffrey. I think Sanu and Broyles are more dynamic and fit with the Pats more. I will be watching plenty of SEC game so I'll keep my eye on Childs.

Yeah i dont think he's an elite WR either but i think he would be great value in the 2nd-3rd round. I think he has decent speed for his size...he can make some acrobatic catches

Yeah i dont think he's an elite WR either but i think he would be great value in the 2nd-3rd round. I think he has decent speed for his size...he can make some acrobatic catches

I think we agree for the most part. I've seen Childs getting alot of love(before the injury) in the late 1st or early 2nd. I don't think he's worth that high of a pick. Maybe with the Pats own 2nd rounder he could be considered.

I like Crick in a 4-3 defense.He can be disruptive.

I like Crick in a 4-3 defense.He can be disruptive.

Will do well in a 3-4...maybe not a 2 gap per say. I'll have to watch few of his games to see if he is a JJ Watt type player or a Richard seymour type player.

This is always a lot of fun. I try to watch as many college games as possible during the year, and while television isn't the best for football scouting, it's more than adequate for my purposes.

You see, I know less about football than I would like. I am a movement artist, however, and I understand bio-mechanics pretty well. Instead of breaking down scheme, then, I do my best to analyze the quality of a player's coordination and body control, explosion, and overall athleticism. If I then see the requisite attention to detail (playing within the scheme, etc), along with the right size and mindset, then I flag the player as a Patriots type prospect.

I'm quite comfortable choosing players that will do well at the next level, whether with the Patriots or with someone else. The one year I did fantasy football, I chose an all-rookie team. My friends laughed at me, but I ended up with a winning season. :D My way certainly isn't foolproof, but it does bring a completely different perspective to the table. It's just one resource, and I hope some of you find it useful.

Not to toot my own horn (too much!), but I just read this in today's Sunday Blitz in the National Football Post:

NFP Sunday Blitz | National Football Post

Apparently the Falcons use my approach, too! They just have advanced software systems that do the work for them. I'm not a computer, obviously, but I do bring years of experience as a parkour instructor, a dancer, a martial artist, and a wannabe circus performer (I can walk a tightrope and juggle, etc).

This is so super cool. I am incredibly excited right now. :singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye