Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone here not paying/filing federal income tax?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

This ongoing saga of the New Hampshire couple that has barricaded themselves at home in a stand-off with the feds over taxes got me thinking: I know at least two people who believe they've figured a way around not filing federal income tax. One has not paid in years and apparently is getting away with it. Anyone here doing anything similar, or know of someone who is?
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +281 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Not me and not anyone I know. I may not like the Income Tax but I prefer to pay it than go to jail. I don't even cheat on my taxes, the IRS scares the crap out of me.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

If you were an Illegal Alien Criminal you wouldn't have to worry, I wonder how many of those bastards will file a Tax Report, they can't read or write english so the Liberal Democrats and their new FRIEND Bush will say they are exempt, your taxes will take care of them.
    Mucho Gracias american a$s holes.
    :bricks:
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i know a buddy from college who didn't file or pay for three years in the early 90s.. simple hourly wage job...

anyhow, after years of dreading his fate, living in stress and fear, the IRS never came for him... never contacted him...
  5. chris_in_sunnyvale

chris_in_sunnyvale Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

They are not getting away with anything. One of two things is going on: 1) Their activity has slipped through the cracks of the monstrous IRS bureaucracy, or 2) The IRS is deliberately letting them do this so when the IRS comes, the IRS can prove a willful pattern of tax avoidance so the "I just forgot" excuse doesn't work.

Regards,
    Chris
  6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I fell behind when I first started contracting. It takes a lot of discipline to set aside that money that doesn't get taken out of your check. Catching up was a fairly significant task; but not the end of the world. Its based on what you can pay, not those ridiculous numbers they first throw at you. Around these parts the Mass Dept of Revenue is much tougher nowadays. Rumor has it that they're around 7 years behind in tracking people down, while the IRS is more like 10. This of course, doesn't apply if you ring the cherries for a random audit or if you file a 1040. My taxes are not something that can be whipped together in a couple of hours. So it takes them a while to sort though.

PC: your "friend" should probably file. With regular jobs they withhold so they didn't come looking for him because they probably owe him a few bucks. Which they're happy to keep. You don't have to file if the IRS owes you.

OT: I'm actually struggling to catch up with last year's Workman's Comp Insurance. You have to estimate how much you expect to make for the year and pay a bit under 7 percent in advance:mad: . I figured it on my net income, not gross, accidentally:rolleyes: of course, so I owed around $900.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  7. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I take option 3, which is that they have guns, militiant supporters and are currently hosting at their residence Randy Weaver of Ruby Ridge fame. The government had their electricity shut off, but their compound is self-suficient so they're not going to be able to wait them out. The government doesn't want a stand-off so they're not raiding them, yet. These folks are shootout waiting to happen.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The IRS is worse than the mob. If you don't pay for their "protection" then they go after you, your home, your job, your family, etc...

True story: I got audited this year for my 2005 tax return... after all was said and done, they gave me an additional $800 refund :D
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

WorkComp ins. totally blows.

BTW, have you been busy, or slow Sdan? My dad started slow in April(masonry), got real busy in May, to being real slow again in June. A lot of people having been complaining about this in Mass. Is it the same for you?
  10. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you self employed , Quigs?
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah, its pretty bad. I've heard people talk about the summer slowdown before. This is the first time I've ever experienced one. Its annoying as hell to keep hearing about this wonderful economy of ours while watching my bank account get progressively smaller.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A little bit of both :D I don't have the guts to completely cut ties with the company I now work for, but it is not a full time job and not my primary means of income... but it is infinitely easier (and cheaper) to get health care through their plan instead of doing it completely on my own....

The reason I was audited was silly, but mostly my fault... I sold some stock at a loss in 2005, so when I was doing my income taxes and the stupid computer program asked me "Did you make any capital gains?" I said "No" and it moved me on to the next step. But my broker sent the IRS a form with the revenue I made from the sale but with no associated cost basis, so it looked like one big huge capital gain. I had to prove my cost basis to the IRS and file an amended Schedule-B.

So since I was adding roughly a $2,500 capital loss to my return, that got me a deduction and an extra refund.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Well, here in the northeast, as contractors, we're going to suffer. The housing market is in a corrective state, and therefore people aren't doing much on their homes, or are saving money cuz they've grossly overpaid for their property.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I was going to say you screwed yourself, but you got it right in the end.
  15. Danny Boy®

Danny Boy® Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So it was just a letter type audit through the mail?...not a real, thorough, call your accountant, pack your files, come see us type audit, audit?

Ive been through a couple of letter audits...won them both. :rocker:
  16. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It all depends on the situation, imo.

If you're the uppercrust of society (royal bloodlines), you NEVER pay a dime.

If you're a BUDster (regular person) with some wealth... they might try to do what they are currently doing to the Brown's.

If you're a poor citizen, why would they even waste their time????
  17. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny. ~Thomas Jefferson
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 5 / -22

I pay taxes reluctantly and when I figure out how much I pay it pisses me off..

What pisses me off more is my ex son in law, seen his tax return, makes about 55k a year.. has 4 kids who are claimed on his income tax, but they are claimed on his x'es also... owns 2 apt bldgs, terrible businessman and landlord.. writes off tons of bs stuff.. anyways has about 4K taken out and somehow with all the credits and childcare stuff, gets back over 9K pisses me off incredibly.

I would report him, but might implicate my daughter.. I could do my taxes easier, if it were not for clowns like him.
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Now, see!! They ain't all that bad. :D

Still and all, I look forward to the day when we all make *voluntary contributions* to support government services, rather than this draconian compulsory taxation scheme.

//
  20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +180 / 5 / -22

Do you pay taxes in the US??