PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Hear TFB's Awesome Audible Before the Branch TD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is "tighter" not tiger. From my 5.1 stereo HDTV DVR.

If you have the game taped - - go to the 3rd quarter, the Branch TD play.

At 13:07 on the game clock, Brady vociferously yells and gestures at Welker to come in closer "Hey, tighter, TIGHTER!!!!" Then he looks forward, starts calling signals, looks over to Welker again at 12:59 and yells in a frustrated voice "Tighter, I SAID TIGHTER!!!!!!!!!"

As it happens, he was moving Welker inside of Branch who then went wide to the EZ. Welker, who was now in the perfect spot, throws the crucial block on the delay timing-blitze Bart Scott and absolutely stones him cold.

Perfect orchestration and leadership by Brady. Simply brilliant.

Yeah, I saw that ~ and HEARD it ~ in RealTime, and it was MAGNIFICENT!! :rocker:

Good Eye, Brother Schmessy.

Good EAR.

The three phrases I've heard most often from Brady at the line are "Alabama," "Omaha," and "Reno."

I think they mean different things at different times. And, in fact, I think there is a fair amount of misdirection going on. For example, he'll call these out even on plays where they are not meant to set things up later. It's sort of like a third base coach in baseball. Most of the signs mean nothing most of the time, but they have a key (when I touch my nose, the next sign is operative). I think there's some of that going on with the Patriots.

There are clearly times when Brady gives very specific direction to players (like the tighter or the line assignments). But I think the "Alabama" and "Reno" plays are more general -- maybe blitz pickup or instructions for a hot route. I think the specific terms are designed like any phonetic alphabet -- for easy recognition. You can't really yell "C" out, because you don't want anyone to confuse it for "T" or "V," etc. So, much like the NATO phoenetic alphabet (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie), I think "Alabama," and "Reno" are simply tags that change game to game and even quarter to quarter for different concepts, and they use easily pronounced and remembered words that won't get confused with others. It's easy to tell the difference between Alabama and Reno, even on the road.

Some of it is also flat out misdirection -- an attempt to give a defender who has shown blitz the impression that you're on to him. That is, that you've caught him and that you have a specific word for the blitz he's attempting or for a route to beat the blitz. You point at him and yell some word that implies you have something in store for him. I think often that's not really the case but you're hoping you can get him to rock on his heels for a half second to get a little advantage.

Does anyone remember a few years ago, where there was a big play in which Vince had figured out the Ravens' signals and so busted up the play? My hunch is the Patriots don't really fall into that trap, although I think the field mics picking up Brady's line calls is not really a welcome development.

Last edited:
I thought he was yelling "Tiger, Tiger" which I thought was code for something...did anyone listen to the CBS audio and confirm it was tighter? Welker is such a great team player, every play he does something for the team. And Branch, what can I say? That's a brilliant route. 85 may have size and athleticism, but Branch is quick and that's crucial in this system.

The clip above doesn't show the first part of the Brady orchestration of that play.

At first, Welker was lined up very wide. Brady then yelled "Tighter, tighter" and put his hands together repeatedly signifying "tighter".

Welker was actually instructed twice to move in, which he does twice, before that play. The clip only shows the second instance.

Last edited:
Anyone else curious about the use of the most productive WR in the league this year, as a PASS BLOCKER. BTW its not that he did a bad job at it, but I bet the Jets were happy they didn't have to deal with him.

Remember that 4th and 3 play, the TD to Branch against the Jets in Dec?. Branch was lined on the left side. Woody motions to the left side. Wes, and Herno are on the right side.

Brady tells Aaron and Wes to slide a bit closer to the Right side of the O line. He then motions Woody to set a pick against Octo Dad and Boom...TD to Branch.

I just love Tom Brady. I really do.

We need more threads like this. Deserves a bump up.

61 and 66 protection are pass blocking scheme calls. He was id'ing the defense, and calling how the o-line would block and who would stay in. I also heard him make a few calls at the LOS for blitz pickup on the inside of the line. He's taken over Koppen's mental duties at center with some of the line calls.

Looks like those calls transpired in a zone cup protection which mean Brady knew that Jets were only rushing three on that play (since both DE's end up being double-teamed). Was one of those blitz pickup calls directed at Welker? I can't tell. It would have been amazing if the only thing Brady said was "Tighter!" and Welker understands his assignment is to stone Scott on the inside blitz. Otherwise he would have run the underneath route out of the stack.

Last edited:
At one point Brady was yelling Alabama and Nantz points out "he's yelling Alabama!"

Thanks Jim.

I also kinda dig the fact that Aaron The Navigator occasionally instructs his mates on where to line up, without hesitation and without doubt. LOVE seeing that kinda Processing Speed, and that poise and leadership in a Sophomore. :cool:

I thought he was yelling "Tiger, Tiger"....

No Tom, that's Antonio..... close, but Tiger generally doesn't knock them up...

I'm sure the Cowboys will be watching this film. Do you think Rob Ryan will be seeing how well TB Read the Jest defensive formations and try to disquise them a little more. I know the Jest really had TB confused in that playoff game. This always worryies me. Sorry for sounding like a novice, but I am:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back