PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Hear TFB's Awesome Audible Before the Branch TD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else curious about the use of the most productive WR in the league this year, as a PASS BLOCKER. BTW its not that he did a bad job at it, but I bet the Jets were happy they didn't have to deal with him.

You can also hear some of it on the NFL Fantasy video of the TD, which starts at 13:14.

However, clearly this must be Peyton Manning wearing a TFB costume. Everybody's always telling us that only Peyton can direct his offense like this, so there's no way that can actually be #12 out there. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, the audio on that video (with Gil and Gino with the radio call) is not NEARLY as clear as the CBS audio.

On the CBS audio you can very clearly hear what Brady is saying - - it's tremendous.

What IS great about that Gil and Gino audio is after the TD, Gino exclaiming "what great pass protection!" and then later "Whoever drew that play up!" - - - Ironic, that it was Brady who did the critical part of it on the fly.

Last edited:
Anyone else curious about the use of the most productive WR in the league this year, as a PASS BLOCKER. BTW its not that he did a bad job at it, but I bet the Jets were happy they didn't have to deal with him.

I don't understand how they could have been happy about it.

Whether they got beat by Welker or Branch - - it was still a TD - - same amount of points. ;)

Last edited:
61 and 66 protection are pass blocking scheme calls. He was id'ing the defense, and calling how the o-line would block and who would stay in. I also heard him make a few calls at the LOS for blitz pickup on the inside of the line. He's taken over Koppen's mental duties at center with some of the line calls.

Thanks, I was wondering just that during the game! Connolly's been a savior at center, but it would be too much to expect for him to step right into Koppen's full mental/leadership role -- especially since AFAIK Connolly's never played center regularly in his life. (He was a 4-year starting tackle in college.)

Luckily, Brady doesn't have much else to do. ;)

I don't understand how they could have been happy about it.

Whether they got beat by Welker or Branch - - it was still a TD - - same amount of points. ;)

Watching that play live cracked me up. Welker basically just sprinted into him, and seemed to catch him by surprise. I was just like... oh, ok, I guess he was blocking? :confused:

Unfortunately, the audio on that video (with Gil and Gino with the radio call) is not NEARLY as clear as the CBS audio.

On the CBS audio you can very clearly hear what Brady is saying - - it's tremendous.

What IS great about that Gil and Gino audio is after the TD, Gino exclaiming "what great pass protection!" and then later "Whoever drew that play up!" - - - Ironic, that it was Brady who did the critical part of it on the fly.

This clip has some of that - -you hear TFB saying "Tighter," and Welker comes inside of Branch. Somehow Welker also knew that "tighter" meant "pile drive into your guy and don't let up til we have a TD."

NFL Videos: Branch scores

SO many fun things to watch in a short clip, from the play calling to Welker's blocking to Cromartie getting totally lost (some fan in the stands must have yelled "hey Daddy!").

Last edited:
Don't mean to derail this thread, but did anybody else notice Brady got hurt on the quarterback sneak? Not injured. There's a difference between injured and hurt, and Brady definitely got hurt. When he went through on the sneak, he went to the ground and a Jets' DL (can't remember who now, as I wasn't feeling any pain at this point) actually came close to what looked like a spear. Brady was slow to get up and, when he did, his arm was just hanging at his side. As someone that has had more shoulder injuries than he cares to remember, that looked like a shoulder to me. Didn't look like it had much consequence, though, as Brady still continued to throw lasers all over the field.

Just a beautiful play. Everyone doing their job and knowing what needs to happen.

now I've got two things to find on my recording. Just saw the cameraman.... onto this...

:p "All alone..all alone...Comaraty....Cromartie ...lost...":rocker:

This clip has some of that - -you hear TFB saying "Tighter," and Welker comes inside of Branch. Somehow Welker also knew that "tighter" meant "pile drive into your guy and don't let up til we have a TD."

NFL Videos: Branch scores

SO many fun things to watch in a short clip, from the play calling to Welker's blocking to Cromartie getting totally lost (some fan in the stands must have yelled "hey Daddy!").

That's the CBS video - excellent. Only problem is that this particular clip begins already several seconds into the audible - - after Brady has already yelled and gestured to Welker to come in (he didn't come in enough). People who taped the game can see the entire sequence - - it's real cool.

CBS must have had a microphone on the crossbar of the goal post.

*****Now, it gets even better!
------------------------------------
Listen closely at the 13 second mark of your video. Do you hear 2 quick hoots? That's Branch signaling to Brady that he made his open cut.

Last edited:
There was another one that was clearly audible too. I think this is how it went: "57's the Mike. 66 and 61 protection". Then said the name of a state that I can't remember now and hiked the ball. Gives you a good idea of how much control Brady has over the offense if you're not already familiar.

I remember this one. I bet Bart Scott sh!t his pants when he heard that, he was like, "oh crap, Tom's pointing at me !". Then they crushed him lol.

Thanks, I was wondering just that during the game! Connolly's been a savior at center, but it would be too much to expect for him to step right into Koppen's full mental/leadership role -- especially since AFAIK Connolly's never played center regularly in his life. (He was a 4-year starting tackle in college.)

Luckily, Brady doesn't have much else to do. ;)

So what was all that blubbering about when Mangold was out for the Jets?

Why didn't their Captain and star QB make the line calls? :bricks:

*****Now, it gets even better!
------------------------------------
Listen closely at the 13 second mark of your video. Do you hear 2 quick hoots? That's Branch signaling to Brady that he made his open cut.

Hooty Hoo?

Is Deion a closet Top Chef fan too, or is that just me?

Who immediately repeats "Alabama" after Brady says it? Was it someone on the OL? Is that standard? What does any of that really mean? This stuff is pretty fascinating.

Who immediately repeats "Alabama" after Brady says it? Was it someone on the OL? Is that standard? What does any of that really mean? This stuff is pretty fascinating.

I was wondering the same thing.

This is where it gets even more interesting. Usually, one would assume the center would relay audibles to the line - - Koppen was always in charge of that.

However, watching the video, both Connolly and Waters have their heads turned towards Brady to hear the audible.

It's definitely one of those two who relayed the call and is the voice you hear with the second "Alabama" (other than, of course, Nantz).

It would be interesting if the new RG is relaying the audibles to the line. Everything said about Waters in KC makes it possible for this scenario. He's been called a great leadership-type player.

Last edited:
Is it me or are the threads/topics much better this week?

This, the Reiss SIRIUS radio analysis...etc.

I thought he was yelling "Tiger, Tiger" which I thought was code for something...did anyone listen to the CBS audio and confirm it was tighter? Welker is such a great team player, every play he does something for the team. And Branch, what can I say? That's a brilliant route. 85 may have size and athleticism, but Branch is quick and that's crucial in this system.

I was wondering the same thing.

This is where it gets even more interesting. Usually, one would assume the center would relay audibles to the line - - Koppen was always in charge of that.

However, watching the video, both Connolly and Waters have their heads turned towards Brady to hear the audible.

It's definitely one of those two who relayed the call and is the voice you hear with the second "Alabama" (other than, of course, Nantz).

It would be interesting if the new RG is relaying the audibles to the line. Everything said about Waters in KC makes it possible for this scenario. He's been called a great leadership-type player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back