PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone have any graphical evidence for Touchback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to point out one thing, that no one seems to be talking about. Isn't it a good piece of proof that the ball probably went through the endzone when Champ Bailey himself took out the pilon. Seeing as he was the ball carrier and had he held onto the ball, it technically would have been a TD even after getting leveled, isn't it fair to think that the ball went that way as well?

I agree, there wasn't enough evidence to support a reversal, but it still sucks.

BradyisGod said:
I just want to point out one thing, that no one seems to be talking about. Isn't it a good piece of proof that the ball probably went through the endzone when Champ Bailey himself took out the pilon. Seeing as he was the ball carrier and had he held onto the ball, it technically would have been a TD even after getting leveled, isn't it fair to think that the ball went that way as well?

I agree, there wasn't enough evidence to support a reversal, but it still sucks.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched that replay. The only thing I can figure is the ball was up above Bailey. I suppose there is a chance the ball went across his body due to the impact. After review I still think it was a touchback but it's close enough that I can't fault the refs for not overturning it.

huskeralk said:
I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched that replay. The only thing I can figure is the ball was up above Bailey. I suppose there is a chance the ball went across his body due to the impact. After review I still think it was a touchback but it's close enough that I can't fault the refs for not overturning it.

The problem is, as Murphy pointed out, on running plays, they look at the runner's body position to determine TDs, and if the runner's body is still in bounds when he crosses the plane, then it doesn't matter where the ball is. If you tiptoe inside the pylon and you're carrying the ball in the hand closest to being out of bounds, in really doesn't matter if the ball is in bounds or not. It's a touchdown as long as the ball crosses the goalline, and more times than not it's called a TD even if the ball doesn't cross the goal, as long as the feet do.

Using the same logic, the refs should have ruled it a touchback. That would have been the conclusive call. And really, the idea that the call on the field should have some validity over the replay (as though it were a Superme Court precedent) should be discounted considering the refs were 20 yards behind the play. They were just guessing anyway so gutless Triplett should have called it the way he saw it on replay. Plain and simple. Are you telling me that if Bailey had held onto the ball and not fumbled it that that wouldn't have been called a touchdown? Please. If Bailey held on, that was a TD!

Also, if you watch the replay from the time the ball was snapped, pay very close attention to Tom Ashworth.

upstater1 said:
Also, if you watch the replay from the time the ball was snapped, pay very close attention to Tom Ashworth.

I don't have the game recorded and don't care to watch it again anyway. What did Ashworth do?

upstater1 said:
Holy crap, I didn't even notice this. WHAT AN IDIOT! He didn't block anyone and totally let the guy through who pressured Brady to make the poor throw. Cut his ass.

huskeralk said:
I don't have the game recorded and don't care to watch it again anyway. What did Ashworth do?

Nothing. He just stood around.

upstater1 said:
Nothing. He just stood around.

Like he was going to catch Bailey from the opposite side of the field. He may have hands but he's not Ben Watson. :D

drew4008 said:
Holy crap, I didn't even notice this. WHAT AN IDIOT! He didn't block anyone and totally let the guy through who pressured Brady to make the poor throw. Cut his ass.

Did he do a "matador" at the snap of the ball?

i dont know if he did a matodar, but he didnt touch anyone, and the blitz came from his side

hes a fa, and gone next yr anyway

we have light, kaczur and gorin all signed

Willie55 said:
Did he do a "matador" at the snap of the ball?

Worse than a matador. On a matador you actually try and whiff. He just stood there like a statue. The guy ran right buy him. It was one of the worst plays I have EVER seen by an OL. You can find the video of it in this thread.

huskeralk said:
Like he was going to catch Bailey from the opposite side of the field. He may have hands but he's not Ben Watson. :D

Uh, we're talking about the snap of the ball on the line. Watson actually locked up his guy. Ashworth did nothing, and the defender ran right by him unmolested.

NEM said:
The only way that ball could have gone out of bounds BEFORE touching the goal line would be to have gone THROUGH Bailey's body. IT WAS A FREEAKING TOUCHBACK

It actually could have went above his body. When he hit the pilon, the ball was actually higher than his body. Not saying it happened but it's possible.

upstater1 said:
Uh, we're talking about the snap of the ball on the line. Watson actually locked up his guy. Ashworth did nothing, and the defender ran right by him unmolested.

Aha, when you said he did nothing, I thought you meant AFTER the int.

NEM said:
My question is, was it a linebacker that he let get by him? If so, that may have been part of the play to take the inebacker out of pass coverage, by letting him fliter into the backfield. I dont know who it was.

How could he be in pass coverage if he's rushing the QB?

pats1 said:
Now, I've made this chart:

1002123copy6rp.jpg

The yellow X is where the ball bounced, based on this picture (and the third one above):

10020963uk.jpg

The red X is where the ball's bounce landed, based on the video.

Drawing a line through them it falls over where the ball looks to come loose, the green X, based on this picture:

10021265nm.jpg

Haha idiot, now draw that line from the 1 1/2 yard line and the 2 where he really fumbled it and get back to me.....nice try though....

Last edited:
NEM said:
It's also possible that it will snow in Phoenix this July.

Typical...

The line chart is still inconclusive because the ball's height affects how the lines intersect. For example, drawing a line from Troy's outstretched hand to the head of the camera man standing out-of-bounds at the 6 yard line will show a line clearly intersecting the goal....
1002123copy6rp.jpg

The closest I can come to a conclusion is watching the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/w/champ-Bail...al Patriots Steelers Broncos Colts ESPN Pizza

Watch from this view near the end of the clip:
clocked.JPG

IMO, when Bailey's upper body crosses out-of-bounds, the ball is out-of-bounds no more than a couple feet in front of it. The paused image above is where I see his upper body ~almost~ completely out-of-bounds.

So, IMO it's a super-close call, and personally, I'd rather spend more energy thinking about the future, than this near-impossible call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back