PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone have a hunch that Belichick will trade one of his 2011 1st rounders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I do....

I think this draft is full of good players and next year could be hard to duplicate this,I also think BB knows his 2010 has many holes to fill and waiting for next season is another year lost and the talent level in 2011 draft could be substantially less talented.

Will he use that #1 and maybe his #22 to move up into the #10-#14?...maybe,I am not sure if that much is worth moving up 10 spots

I think he will dangle it on draft day for a veteran player who would be tradable for exchange of a 2011 pick such as a Brandon Marshall ect:

I think obviously the Raiders pick will remain with us for 2011 since the Raiders are not likely to be better than the Pats this season,but I strongly feel we will do something with the Pats pick next season.

I think it would be attractive for teams who predict that the Pats will not be much lower than #20 for 2011,so it may depend on what they feel the Pats record will be around this year.

Kind of reminds you of 2008 when we had 2 #1s before Goodell stripped one away,I was sure that we would have traded that pick away and kept SFs back then but it didn't pan out thanks to Mangini :mad:

Last edited:
the talent level in 2011 draft could be substantially less talented
2011s first round is STACKED. I'm very confident BB won't trade those 1sts. Although the depth isn't as good in 2011 so I guess trading a 2nd or 3rd is more possible.

I do....

I think this draft is full of good players and next year could be hard to duplicate this,I also think BB knows his 2010 has many holes to fill and waiting for next season is another year lost and the talent level in 2011 draft could be substantially less talented.

Will he use that #1 and maybe his #22 to move up into the #10-#14?...maybe,I am not sure if that much is worth moving up 10 spots

I think he will dangle it on draft day for a veteran player who would be tradable for exchange of a 2011 pick such as a Brandon Marshall ect:

I think obviously the Raiders pick will remain with us for 2011 since the Raiders are not likely to be better than the Pats this season,but I strongly feel we will do something with the Pats pick next season.

I think it would be attractive for teams who predict that the Pats will not be much lower than #20 for 2011,so it may depend on what they feel the Pats record will be around this year.

Kind of reminds you of 2008 when we had 2 #1s before Goodell stripped one away,I was sure that we would have traded that pick away and kept SFs back then but it didn't pan out thanks to Mangini :mad:

Dude, next year's first round will be epic. I'm hoping we end up getting a third from somewhere.

Imagine a triple combo of Patrick Peterson, Jonathan Baldwin and Richard Quinn.

Last edited:
You can never say never with Belichick but I'd be shocked. We already have four picks in the first two rounds in a deep draft, we relly don't need any more; add to that, we always get value in draft choice trades and few, if any, teams will be trading picks away with everyone talking about how strong this draft is. This is a non starter IMO.

Last edited:
Dude, next year's first round will be epic. I'm hoping we end up getting a third from somewhere.

Imagine a triple combo of Patrick Peterson, Jonathan Baldwin and Richard Quinn.

My three favorite players next year. Awesome! But it's Robert, not Richard. ;)

I have to wonder if we're gonna need a top corner, though, or if we can get by with just picking up someone for depth. I have a feeling Bodden/Butler is going to be a very good starting tandem, and I think Wilhite takes a big step this year, too. Remember he missed a game due to some strange situation that never got publicized? He never looked the same after that, and I think after a full year to recover and regain his confidence, he'll be an excellent nickel.

Maybe we go for a running back and return to a grind it out, smash mouth attack. That would make me happy.

Peterson is going to be the Pats selection with that Raider pick, no question.

My three favorite players next year. Awesome! But it's Robert, not Richard. ;)

I have to wonder if we're gonna need a top corner, though, or if we can get by with just picking up someone for depth. I have a feeling Bodden/Butler is going to be a very good starting tandem, and I think Wilhite takes a big step this year, too. Remember he missed a game due to some strange situation that never got publicized? He never looked the same after that, and I think after a full year to recover and regain his confidence, he'll be an excellent nickel.

Maybe we go for a running back and return to a grind it out, smash mouth attack. That would make me happy.

I put Robert initially, and then thought "oh no, it's Richard" - that's the Broncos TE :bricks:

How about trading their 2011 #2 for a #3 this year? I know BB usually goes the other direction, but...

- 3rd round depth is awesome this year, there's certain to be talent around in the 3rd that the Pats put a solid 2nd round grade on.

- It's currently an ugly gap in their draft, and BB hates gaps.

- Last year's huge draft class is all still on the roster, and the Pats have the most picks of any team this year. The team is going to have a lot of youth heading into 2011. 2 premium players in the 1st and you're good.

I'm hoping we get one of those blue chip wr prospects, personally: Malcolm Floyd or Julio Jones or AJ Green from Georgia. All 3 of them big time #1WR's.
Love to see us get Golden tate or Damian Williams this year and add one of those guys in 2011. Add a healthy welker, edelman and Brandon Tate and we are good to GO!

Indeed, 2011's selection of wide receivers is much deeper and talented than 2010's. We've got some good 2nd round WR prospects in this year's draft, but nobody who is a lock for being a #1 except maybe Dez Bryant, who has red flags of his own.

Didn't reiss just have a blog post about this? BB doesn't trade the Pats future picks.

The only trades that may happen are either trading into the 1st round next year or trading back into the 2nd round this year.

Didn't reiss just have a blog post about this? BB doesn't trade the Pats future picks.

Well, yes and no. He has never been one for trading future picks in favor of current picks (in fact, he always does the reverse). But -- he has a strong history of trading future picks for veteran players. That tells me that the reluctance to trade next year's picks for this isn't so much about protecting the future picks, as about the value proposition.

As a rule of thumb, a team pays a full round's worth of "interest" to borrow a pick for a year. IOW you have to pay back a 2010 3rd with a 2011 2nd. If you have the resources and job security to play the "bank" role, you can get good returns over time trading away the present for the future. (Note that when it comes to trading picks for players, there's no comparable interest or discount. It's just a matter of judgment of the individual player's worth.) And as others have described, a #1 next year looks very valuable indeed, so trading it for a 2nd or equivalent this year looks like poor resource management.

But this year's draft is notable its incredible depth of quality, 2nd-4th. If a 3rd this year is really 2nd-round quality, then trading a future 2nd becomes reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey