Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone have a Bowflex, or a home gym?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Real World, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

I just moved, and am going to put a workout room in the house. Nothing crazy, just a treadmill, my elliptical machine, and some weights. I'd like to put a more complete set up in, but don't know how good a home unit would be. The reviews for the Bowflex machines are all very good, and I was curious if anyone has had any experience with them. Thanks in advance.

2. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -2

#80 Jersey

I've tried them. they save space and all... but ultimately I could never get as good a workout on one, as I could using steal. But everyone is different i suppose.

3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 32 / -51

No Jersey Selected

I wouldn't use it personally. Not sure how big the room is, but if you're going for space saving, separate Nautilus machines are better than Bowflex. Besides, you should just buy a gym membership and set up a Pats den in that room. :cool:

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

I do have a gym membership. It's just that I recently moved (I got married), and now have a 30 minute commute home (1 hour round trip), whereas before my commute was a mile to and from (literally less than 5 minutes). My old house, gym, and work were within minutes of each other before. Now, with traffic getting worse the later I go home, a trip to the gym would mean up to an hour to get home. I figure putting in a gym room at home would save me a ton of time everyday. Plus, I can get the wife to work out with me. The room I'm going to use is 10'6 wide X 16' long X 7'6 High. So it's a good sized room. I'll have to see if Dick's Sporting goods has any units, or if any retailers around here have anything useful.

5. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -2

#80 Jersey

Check out Big Fitness for great used gym equipment. They are in Seekonk Mass.

6. Johnny D

Johnny D Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the thread. I was contemplating adding to the home gym, bowflex or gym membership. So far I am doing ok with the weight bench and my pool

7. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Have a multigym but I hardly use it, I find free weights better. IMO all you really need for staying trim at home is a simple weight bench if you have the room, set of weights and an excercise ball as they're excellent for developing strength, balance and you can do anything on one. Getting out and running outdoors is much better for your cardio if you have the time, saving more money on treadmills or whatever. Simple things like punchbags also help you stay trim.

Depends what you want from your training, wether it's casual or your seriously training for something. It's very much a personal thing and each to their own.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

I don't hit it as hard as I used to. No more 5-6 days a week, at 2-3 hours per pop. I like free weights, and I try to do the trio everytime I go to the gym (weights, cardio, and abs). In my years of working out, it seems that doing all three as part of one overall workout, gets the best results. The problem of course, is the time it takes to do them. That's why I want to get a home gym set up. With my commute consuming an hour of my time each day, working out at home would be far more convenient. Toss a flat screen on the wall, and now I can work out, and catch up on the news at the same time. I requested the Bowflex DVD, so hopefully I'll get it this weekend. Tomorrow I'm going to go check out some equipment as well. I'll post my review incase anyone is curious.

9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +176 / 5 / -1

#91 Jersey

I've been working out for ahhh, wow 30 years :eek: Anyways i had the for runner of the bowflex. I used if from '83 TO 1999 it worked ok for upper body but for legs it wasn't very good at all. I went back to the gym in 2000 and do a circut with heavy wgts. I could never do that on a home style gym it would just take to much time.

I bought a decent bike for cardio

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009