PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone ever go to a game by him/herself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally have 3 season tix, but 2 for tomorrow's game went to strangers and now I find myself, for the first time ever, going to the game by myself. Yes, I'll have 70K "friends" there, but I'm feeling a little funny about making the trip solo and having no buddies to high-five, console, etc.

I probably won't care once the game gets going, but it may be weird beforehand. Anyone ever go to a game by him/herself and have any advice?

And no, I have no problem with drinking alone.

I never went alone, but I always talk to the people sitting around me. Just find the most rabid female fan within arm's reach and hi-five her after the TD - I guarantee she won't mind. I would say go in right before the game starts and make eye contact/say hello to those sitting nearby; a little small talk if anyone seems friendly, and then once the game starts - who cares!! You're at the game!! If you are enthusiastic, those around you will be too; and if they aren't, they aren't worth talking to! You aren't sitting in Sec. 236 are you? (If you are, I will hi-five you after the TD(s)!)

I have another little 'went by myself' story. Well, sat by myself as I went to Mrs B's tailagate before and after the game. Anyway it was last year's Bills game at da Razor and I got the ticket when individual game tix went onsale thru Ticketslimer. Section 144, Row 10 Seat 10. Nice seat. Anyway, just before the game started, there was about 7 or 8 people there that were either togther or knew each other from other games. They were already 1/2 drunk and by games end 2 were asleep in thier chairs. They were wondering what number was Rodney Harrison and where he was. Of course, #37 had already messed up his knee and was on IR. I was shocked these people didn't know that and were apparently ST holders. They seemed saddened when I told them Rodney's situation. Maybe made them drink more.
I've sat in a lot of different area's of the Razor(never upstairs though) and the old Fox and have been surprised at how many fans don't know that much about their team. I don't expect every fan at a game to be as rabid as most here are. Maybe it's not so unusual. I don't know.

Now THAT'S balls. I went to the Colts game at the Razor the week before and was thinking about heading out to Pitts., but the weather and thoughts of their A-hole fans kept me home. Cool that you were there to represent.

I bet the place was DEAD after Rodney took the INT to the house. What a great game...

Their fans were absolutely brutal on Halloween. Some said that I was crazy to go alone and that I'd get killed, and I couldn't really disagree. If someone asked me "how big a fan are you?" I'd have to go with this game.

I remember Pittsburgh's drive leading up to the pick. They were running the ball really well and I told a Steeler fan next to me "Pittsburgh doesn't need to throw, they can run, run, run for a TD and kill some clock before half." After Rodney snagged it I yelled out "I SAID THEY DIDN'T NEED TO THROW!!!" :)

I never went alone, but I always talk to the people sitting around me. Just find the most rabid female fan within arm's reach and hi-five her after the TD - I guarantee she won't mind. I would say go in right before the game starts and make eye contact/say hello to those sitting nearby; a little small talk if anyone seems friendly, and then once the game starts - who cares!! You're at the game!! If you are enthusiastic, those around you will be too; and if they aren't, they aren't worth talking to! You aren't sitting in Sec. 236 are you? (If you are, I will hi-five you after the TD(s)!)

Too bad, I'm in 125. Thanks for the high-five invite, though! I do like your idea about searching out female fans.

The answer in relation to the Pats is rather obvious: no.

But I used to go to a LOT of soccer games and cricket matches by myself when I was young. In fact, I went to several away games by coach/train when I must have been 13,14,15. And it was great. You got fantastic banter with true fans.

Nowadays, I wouldn't dream of going to a soccer game on my own (actually, I wouldn't go to one in the UK at all) but, from what I saw, I'm sure you can have a real blast on your own at Foxborough. Just make sure we win!

I'm curious Mike, why wouldn't you go to a soccer game in the UK at all?? Fed up with the game? Prices?

As for the title, I love going to sports events on my own, so I can just focus on trying to watch the play as closely as possible. But I love being on my own, cinema, shopping, whatever.. guess I'm just an anti-social git.

I'm curious Mike, why wouldn't you go to a soccer game in the UK at all??

The fact that the crowds are composed almost entirely of aggressive, violent, racist louts who create a hate-filled atmosphere of poisonous intimidation, thus eliminating the point of a sporting contest in which competition should be serious but carried out within the limits of sportsmanship and good humour.

My only visit to Sullivan Stadium was on my own - I ended up in the cheap seats surrounded by lairy Bills fans and therefore was "adopted" by a couple of Pats fans who took me under their wing and gave me someone to enjoy the moment with when we won. (November '89)

The fact that the crowds are composed almost entirely of aggressive, violent, racist louts who create a hate-filled atmosphere of poisonous intimidation, thus eliminating the point of a sporting contest in which competition should be serious but carried out within the limits of sportsmanship and good humour.

I don't go to too many soccer games any more in the UK, perhaps 5 in the last 5 years but I haven't experienced that sort of atmosphere at any of them - I think that is, by and large, an outdated stereotype.

That said, it is still not particularly pleasant at the games, which is why I stopped going in favour of rugby, where the atmosphere is uniformly good and the rival sets of fans mostly friendly.

'Almost entirely'.... 'violent racist louts' ??

With all due respect Mike.. that's absolute, complete nonsense. OK, I haven't been to, say, a Millwall or Leeds game in recent memory, but in my wide experience of watching English football at all levels you are making an absolutely extraordinary exaggeration.

That's not to say one can't still have a bad experience from time to time. I guess you have had one or two, hence the bitterness?

'Almost entirely'.... 'violent racist louts' ??

With all due respect Mike.. that's absolute, complete nonsense. OK, I haven't been to, say, a Millwall or Leeds game in recent memory, but in my wide experience of watching English football at all levels you are making an absolutely extraordinary exaggeration.

That's not to say one can't still have a bad experience from time to time. I guess you have had one or two, hence the bitterness?

My last game was England-Argentina. You can tell how long it was ago because Argentina had a 17-year old built like a little bull making his debut in Europe. Yes, that long!

OK, I went with an American friend who was keen on soccer -- he'd played for his college -- and we were surrounded by the usual spotty little yobs. One of the Argentinians fouled an English player and one of these little twerps shouted out "kill the f*cking stani!" and my friend Tim asked out loud "Michael, what does he mean, 'kill the f*cking stani'?" and then, when I ignored him, asked the same question even louder. So there I was in fear of my life (there were a lot of these nasty little people) because I couldn't explain that the young gentleman was under a fairly radical geographical misapprehension about the identity of Argentina and Pakistan. No thank you!

That was the last straw, but I'd been more and more disenchanted in the five or six years previous to that. Of course, I haven't been back recently, but I've seen enough football "supporters" on our streets, watched enough newsreels of international games, listened to the background chanting on TV not to want to.

My last game was England-Argentina. You can tell how long it was ago because Argentina had a 17-year old built like a little bull making his debut in Europe. Yes, that long!

OK, I went with an American friend who was keen on soccer -- he'd played for his college -- and we were surrounded by the usual spotty little yobs. One of the Argentinians fouled an English player and one of these little twerps shouted out "kill the f*cking stani!" and my friend Tim asked out loud "Michael, what does he mean, 'kill the f*cking stani'?" and then, when I ignored him, asked the same question even louder. So there I was in fear of my life (there were a lot of these nasty little people) because I couldn't explain that the young gentleman was under a fairly radical geographical misapprehension about the identity of Argentina and Pakistan. No thank you!

That was the last straw, but I'd been more and more disenchanted in the five or six years previous to that. Of course, I haven't been back recently, but I've seen enough football "supporters" on our streets, watched enough newsreels of international games, listened to the background chanting on TV not to want to.

I would agree with Old England Pat and Ironwasp, Mike. The atmosphere at most games is completely different to that. If anything, it is quite sterile at times, in my experience. There is a problem with hooliganism but it is generally contained and tends to take place away from the grounds.
I am pretty disillusioned with soccer but that has more to do with the greed and the overrated players. I still go to the odd Manchester United game (and am going to the Benfica game) but I find myself increasingly interested in other sports, particularly Rugby Union.
I went to the Sale-Leicester final last year and really enjoyed it. I can only assume that the Charlie Hodgson who plays for Sale isn't the same one who plays for England because he was excellent as a playmaker and kicker that day.

No big deal. What I liked (and what I love about visiting American sports games) was the combination of passionate fandom with humour and mutual respect. Cricket is still pretty good fun (although the prissiness of the Lords' stewards is unbelievable) but you can keep Briish soccer.

My daughter wants to go to South Africa for the next World Cup (she'll be 12 then). If she's still interested, I just might do that ...

I drive to 3 games a yr, plus a trip to training camp... by myself, my wife is a boar so bascially its me , some springsteen and some beer and I enjoy the game, although we lost 2 of the 3 games I went to... but I drive from Pa and enjoy every minute of it..

I went to the 2002 Packers-Patriots game by myself.

I am not only an obsessive Pats fan, but I am also a huge Brett Favre fan. I figured this was my one real shot to see him play. I bought a ticket off the internet the day before and went to the game myself. It wasn't so bad because I quickly became friends with the guys around me.

Of course the thing that was definitely missing was someone to share the experience with. If you are a season ticket holder though, I'm sure you have already shared enough experiences to fulfill your appetite.

Just back from the game. Had a great time, of course- always do when they win. Found a couple of guys to swear with and high five. Train ride back was pleasant with the iPod and Blackberry. Also, less chit chat enabled me to concentrate more on the cheerleaders during breaks. Have they gotten better looking or have I gotten uglier?

In order of preference:

1. Go to the game with dad and/or friends.
2. Go to the game by myself.
3. Watch game on TV.

With moving to Hong Kong, this may be my last game in person for a while, so I'm glad it was such an exciting win.

Hey Patjew,

Glad you had a good time by yourself. Obviously easier when the Pats win.

I have been to a couple games by myself too. Pats at KC and Minn-GB at Lambeau.

You can always meet some friendly fans. Though a bit tough in stoic New England...

Good luck with the move.

Last edited:
Hey Patjew,

Glad you had a good time by yourself. Obviously easier when the Pats win.

I have been to a couple games by myself too. Pats at KC and Minn-GB at Lambeau.

You can always meet some friendly fans. Though a bit tough in stoic New England...

Good luck with the move.

Thanks!

Do you commute to the games in Foxboro?

Just back from the game. Had a great time, of course- always do when they win. Found a couple of guys to swear with and high five. Train ride back was pleasant with the iPod and Blackberry. Also, less chit chat enabled me to concentrate more on the cheerleaders during breaks. Have they gotten better looking or have I gotten uglier?

In order of preference:

1. Go to the game with dad and/or friends.
2. Go to the game by myself.
3. Watch game on TV.

With moving to Hong Kong, this may be my last game in person for a while, so I'm glad it was such an exciting win.

I was looking at this thread around game time and I noticed that you were logged in. I thought: oh, he's gone out and left his computer on. Were you logged in from your Blackberry? That *is* pretty cool, even to technosceptics like me.

Thanks!

Do you commute to the games in Foxboro?

I used to make most of the games when I lived in Philly. That was one tough drive back on a Sunday night.

Now I shoot for 2-4 games during the regular season. Depending on holidays, work scheduling and cash flow. I fly JetBlue (red-eye) direct from Denver, which can be cheap if you plan it right. It actually takes less time to fly from Denver than it did to drive from Philly!

I split the tickets with my Dad so he usually takes family or friends when I'm not there.

Made the Denver and Jets games so far this season. Looking forward to a January game in Foxboro next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes