PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else worried about the running game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Pat

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I don't want to overreact to the two pre season games, but after losing BJGE, and seeing Ridley and Vareen run last year and the pre season this year, and our oline struggling to open holes, I am not too optimistic about the running game this year.
I know the Pats are a pass first team, and that, plus the fast tempo, they play will open the running game, So I bet the Pats manufacturer an average rush game.

But remember a few things, we have no goal line runner on the roster. BJGE was not flashy, but you give him the ball by 5 yards or in, and he was scoring. That is tougher than you think, not all RBs, even great Rbs, have a nose for the end zone, and BJGE did. When its 2nd and and goal from the 3, you can't always throw it to Gronk.

None of the Rbs on this roster shows that they have vision or patience to be a lead runners. They have little burst, and rate average all across the board. At best these guys will be average, at worst, complete duds.

Listen I know Brady and the pass games, have been breaking records for a few years now, but to me, when the Pats were at their most dangerous, is when they had Corey Dillon, and a great passing game. Brady didn't break records, but in the playoffs, in bad weather, or just playing teams with great pass defenses, they always produced points, kept teams off balance, and were better at winning playoff games, than the high flying offense of the last 5 years. It is evident, that Brady has been struggling in the playoffs the last few years (except the Denver game). And even in 2007, what people forget, on the Pats run to the SB, was that the infamous Lawrence Maroney, was our best player, and the reason why we beat SD in the AFCCG game, and not Brady. (Although Brady played lights out vs Jacksonville)

Brady needs a complimentary and feared running game come playoff time. The regular season, he will be just fine, but playoff time, it has to be more than just gimmick show runs.

Even if you look at passing teams that won the SB the last few years, GB, NYG, etc. Who had weak running games all seasons, their running games came up big for them in the playoffs, and was able to carry the offenses in stretches, and make the passing game better.

I truly believe the Pats need a strong, not just an OK, running game to get back to their winning SB ways, and I am not seeing the talent to do this, both at the RB spots, and the oline. I am very concerned, and I do not see the light at the end of this tunnel.

(BTW it also kills me that the Pats passed on Demarco Murray, for two average backs, when I was screaming for Murray, think of where the Pats would be now, with a legit, young, break away back like Murray)

Last edited:
Well, the O-line concerns have been discussed a lot. I think they'll be fine there.

But I'd say your definitive ratings of Vereen & Ridley are hugely premature. This is really Vereen's first action at all, and it's two pre-season games. Ridley didn't play much last year at all.

Let's get into the regular season at least before we condemn them forever as "average" backs, huh?

I'd be concerned if the ground game wasn't working when Mankins, Vollmer, and Waters are playing. For now, I'm not really concerned.

If the O-line continues to be the suck when Mankins, Vollmer and Waters come back, then I will worry...can't have a good passing or running game without good blocking IMO.

They went up against a pretty good defense last night without some of their best players and still managed to gain some tough yards. I thought it was a great test for both Ridley and Vereen (and Bolden for that matter), and to me they did about as well as could be expected. Come in off the ledge :cool:

Last edited:
Huh? You're complaining about lack of burst and then you pine over BJGE? Get a clue.

The running game looked great in the first PS game. so-so last night, but don't you think it might have fared better if the Iggles had to worry about guys named Brady, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Lloyd and Welker?? Not to mention Mankins, Waters and Vollmer?

You worry too much.

Eagles front 7 was attacking the los a lot last night not really worrying bout the passing game which made it tough to run, and as other peeps have pointed out 3 studs on the ol were missing... Not worried.

I have not rewatched the game yet, but in my initial opinion on the low output in the running game was due to the Philadelphia front seven winning the battles in the trenches versus the New England offensive line. I am very hesitant to pin those subpar numbers on the running backs.

Considering (a) it was the Eagle DL starters versus the Patriot OL backups and (b) the positive rushing numbers versus the Saints, I am not worried about the running game at this point in time.

Last edited:
We're missing three out of our five starting OL. Of course the running game is struggling.

We're missing three out of our five starting OL. Of course the running game is struggling.

Missing our top 4 (potentially 5, depending on where you value Gaffney) receiving options, 2 of which help block, and our starting QB doesn't help open up run lanes either.

Vereen and Ridley averaged over 5 yards a carry in the first game, so I won't panic after seeing one preseason game. With Brady not playing it would be safe to assume that the Eagles were playing the run more than they probably would have. After 2 games I think that I would rather see Ridley start and Vereen come in as a change of pace back. I just don't see Vereen as an every down back, but I see him being very effective coming off the bench and running on a tired defense.

No worries:

A) What everyone else said about the O-line.
B) The fastest man in the NFL has yet to take a snap for the Pats.
C) Bill doesn’t like screamers and he probably would have taken your advice if you had taken a different tack; the next time that you have a draft tip for him just dispassionately and logically explain the pros and cons of making your selection as opposed to the selection favored by Bill and his professional team of scouts. :D

Not really...the O-line is not the finished product and the RBs have done a good job even with subpar blocking imo.

Uhm..
1. oline: already covered
2: mallet, silverstro and edbert or whatever instead brady, welker, hernandez, gronk, and lloyd. Just think about that for a minute and then you can safely re-access the rb's performance.

I don't want to overreact to the two pre season games....

Too late, you already did.

Ridley and Vereen will probably both have more yards than Benji did last year. BJGE certainly didn't put on any type of clinic last year. He was absolutely horrible for a good chunk of the season. While we may miss his goalline running, I'm pretty comfortable with throwing every time we're inside the 5. I think we have some OK red zone targets, wouldn't ya say?

When exactly did Demarco Murray elevate above JAG status?

Probably right about the time he went off for over 900 yards from scrimmage in a 6 game stretch. Not many JAGs pull that off.

Last edited:
Pretty terrible post, in all. Glad you've already concluded that none of our RBs will be anything more than average.

Too late, you already did.

Ridley and Vereen will probably both have more yards than Benji did last year. BJGE certainly didn't put on any type of clinic last year. He was absolutely horrible for a good chunk of the season. While we may miss his goalline running, I'm pretty comfortable with throwing every time we're inside the 5. I think we have some OK red zone targets, wouldn't ya say?

Probably right about the time he went off for over 900 yards from scrimmage in a 6 game stretch. Not many JAGs pull that off.

With like 250+ against the Rams and a broken ankle or leg to end the season.

This is the Pats oline we are talking about, not exactly the most injury free group in the league. Lets assume that 1 or 2 starters are missing most weeks of the season.

I agree its too early to panic, but I also think we are so groomed as Pats fans to ignore the importance of the running game, that we never worry about it. I happen to think its a top priority to get a good running game going as part of this offense.

And yes I know its too early to judge backs who barely have an NFL carry, but Rbs more than any other position come in to the league and produce, very few blossom a few years after they enter the league. Count me as not being optimistic about our new RB tandem, that one will be a late bloomer like Priest Holmes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey