PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else thinkshe Rob Ryan factor is overplayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Akatsuki
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Just saying because all the analyst are using the Cleveland Brown game as a way of how the Cowgirls could beat the Pats. Idk back then our offense was barely clicking together and we got pretty much beat by Peyton Hillis more than anything. I just don't see The Cowgirls keeping the pats under 30 I like the Patriots chances to be 5-1 heading to the bye week.

Absolutely.

We smoked Rob Ryan's defense in 2008 vs the Raiders... with Matt Cassel as our QB. By far the most overrated part of this game.

Last edited:
Brady was 19 of 36 for 220 Yards and a 52% QB Rating - The lowest of 2010

Not exactly the Brady we are used to

I would say Ryan and his defensive plans had his number that game

Does that mean this game will be a repeat of that?...no..So there is no true evidence that says Rob Ryan owns Brady

Last edited:
I think Ryan's a good DC, so the Dallas D should be competitive. I also think BB,TFB and Bill O'Brien are all probably aware that Ryan's team made them look like amateurs last year and would like to avoid a repeat performance.

I'll make a surprising prediction: whomever plays better will win, despite offensive/defensive scheme.

Every team has that "bad day" type of game....

It just happened to happen the with the lowly Browns and yes, the run defense was horrible that day. no one could tackle Hills if their lives depended on it

Does that mean this game will be a repeat of that?...no..So there is no true evidence that says Rob Ryan owns Brady

It is more to do with ManGINA than Rob Ryan. ManGINA knows too much about Brady, BB and his coaches, their tendencies, schemes, how they prepare for the game and the players.

It is more to do with ManGINA than Rob Ryan. ManGINA knows too much about Brady, BB and his coaches, their tendencies, schemes, how they prepare for the game and the players.

Ummm
...Rob Ryan was a coach on the Patriots staff as well during thier glory seasons

I wouldn't say that it's NOT a factor, but it's probably being overplayed yes. Bear in the mind though that these inter-conference games have less natural appeal because these teams aren't directly competing for any positioning. These types of stories help spruce up interest.

The Pats faced Ryan as DC twice as defensive coordinator of the Raiders. The Pats scored 30 points (with Brady) and 49 points (with Cassel). So he is 1-2 against the Pats as a DC. The Rob Ryan Factor has been overblown. I think the Mangini Factor might have been a greater factor in that game.

This is just a function of the bored mediots who try to fill 4 hours of talk radio.. my answer is it is overplayed...

The loss in Cleveland had a lot to do with not being able to stop Peyton Hillis and Brady having a bad day.

Last edited:
Apparently the analysts on Playbook thinks so too...

Attachments

• PLAYBOOKPATS.jpg
    PLAYBOOKPATS.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 189
The Pats faced Ryan as DC twice as defensive coordinator of the Raiders. The Pats scored 30 points (with Brady) and 49 points (with Cassel). So he is 1-2 against the Pats as a DC. The Rob Ryan Factor has been overblown. I think the Mangini Factor might have been a greater factor in that game.

Mangini was still the coach of the Jets in 2007 right? As I recall, they held that potent offense to 20 points at home that year... granted in the rain, but we've seen the Pats put up plenty of points in bad weather before. I think you might right, Mangini knows some tricks to cross up Brady, at least some of the time.

They're coming off a bye week and getting some players healthy. He has more overall talent with this team than the Browns so it will come down to what it always comes down to....execution. Can the players win the one on one matchup.

Do we see the potential of Vollmer being back and Solder playing bloicking tight end...It may be paart of the strategy. Does the fact that the Patriots have a bye next week mean they can bring the pain that much more knowing they have another week to recover? Probably doesn't affect the game that much.

It will be interesting to see if they can take out Gronk and Welker and how well we can run the ball...even then we have 2-3 other weapons that can have significant contributions and i like our D to come up with some turnovers.

I remember Gronk fighting for extra yards down by the goalline, then getting stripped. This happened right before halftime as the Pats were hoping to head into the locker room with some momentum and get the ball to start the 2nd half. Instead, that fumble seemed to diffuse what little the Pats could get going that day.

Sometimes stuff happens.

Regards,
Chris

Very overblown. he's an ok DC and head coach but he still hasn't made his bones yet in the position of a winning head coach. Dallas could be alot better but not this year. And certainly NOT this week.

Pats will win this game.

Also, this is a superbowl preview...I'm sticking by my Pats vs cowboys pick

Did the Pats play Cleveland this year? I must have missed that one.

Pats will win this game.

Also, this is a superbowl preview...I'm sticking by my Pats vs cowboys pick

Cowboys in the Superbowl.... naaaaahhh

Um...no. He had a 90 QB rating. No picks, 1 sack and 2 hits. The Ravens game (where Brady had his only non-Moss, non-Hail Mary pick until the playoffs) was much worse. Assume you were referring to his completion percentage, but you already factored that in by mentioning 19-36.

You are correct there. But for every time he looked out of sync, there was an open receiver he missed. Have to remember that this was only 1 month post-Moss and Brady was still figuring stuff out (Branch return, rookie TEs, Tate outside, Woody still getting up to speed). For that month, Brady didn't hit 62% completion in all 4 games. Since then, he has only fallen below two-third completion percentage a total of 4 times. Clearly they are a different offense.

There were also more than a couple screen calls where the receiver (usually Woody) and the OL fell over themselves. Complete those easy throws and get a bunch of YAC (Browns were blitzing) and Brady's day looks a lot different. Game probably doesn't change because McCoy played out of his skull and the Pats D forgot you are allowed to rush the ball all the way out to the sidelines.

Seems like an odd way to phrase it. Generally I think of "having someone's number" as meaning repeated success...not a one-time event. With a one game sample size, can you be sure Brady's relative struggles were due to a defensive scheme, the post-Moss offense still finding itself or just Brady having a bad day?

It is the same "blueprint" crap we've been hearing since 2007. Any struggle by the Pats offense is evidence of a magic bullet that can replicated by every team in the league. If Ryan had a scheme that could handle Brady and Brees (remember they beat the Saints 2 weeks earlier), why did the Browns get kicked around by Sanchez and Garrard in the next 2 weeks?

The Browns were a scrappy team that played well in all phases of the game in upset wins against the Pats and Saints. Nothing more and nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes