PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Think Belichick May be Happy Crennel/Weis are Gone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, this is my stupid thought of the day. Obviously Belichick wants to win and Crennel and Charlie gave him a better chance to do that.

However, as we all know Parcells has never won without Belichick. Belichick was always "the other guy" helping Parcells win. And he was well aware of it. All of a sudden, Belichick became Parcells (the HC winning SB) and Crennel/Charlie became Belichick. For all our love for Bill, he has never won a SB without Crennel/Charlie standing beside him just like Parcells has never won a SB without Belichick standing beside him.

In a weird way, Belichick has become Parcells and Crennel/Weis have become Belichick. Not in all ways, of course, but in this HC/Assistant way.

I'm starting to think that Belichick, while motivated regardless, sees this as the final step ahead of Parcells and setting himself up as one of the top HC of all time - not just winning his fourth SB but doing it with a new set of coordinators.

Or maybe I'm just bored of the big news of the day being Flutie's retirement :D

BelichickFan said:
Yes, this is my stupid thought of the day. Obviously Belichick wants to win and Crennel and Charlie gave him a better chance to do that.

However, as we all know Parcells has never won without Belichick. Belichick was always "the other guy" helping Parcells win. And he was well aware of it. All of a sudden, Belichick became Parcells (the HC winning SB) and Crennel/Charlie became Belichick. For all our love for Bill, he has never won a SB without Crennel/Charlie standing beside him just like Parcells has never won a SB without Belichick standing beside him.

In a weird way, Belichick has become Parcells and Crennel/Weis have become Belichick. Not in all ways, of course, but in this HC/Assistant way.

I'm starting to think that Belichick, while motivated regardless, sees this as the final step ahead of Parcells and setting himself up as one of the top HC of all time - not just winning his fourth SB but doing it with a new set of coordinators.

We can't even consider this issue until we see a few more seasons. 1 season without Romeo and Charlie doesn't establish a pattern.

shakadave said:
We can't even consider this issue until we see a few more seasons. 1 season without Romeo and Charlie doesn't establish a pattern.
Right, I didn't mean that there are suddenly questions about Belichick. Just that he may have realized, even before they left, that he would need to do it without them to separate himself. Because if anyone's aware of Parcells never going to/winning the Super Bowl without "his guys" at his side - it's Belichick.

BelichickFan said:

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. :bricks:

Box_O_Rocks said:
My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. :bricks:
Hey, I admitted it was my stupid thought of the day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Price has breaking news to take you out of the doldrums! :woohoo:

I don't think BB cares about stuff like that. I think all he cares about is winning Super Bowls.

Hoodie said:
I don't think BB cares about stuff like that. I think all he cares about is winning Super Bowls.

him and every other coach in the league :rolleyes:

Anyone Else Think Belichick May be Happy Crennel/Weis are Gone ?

no

BelichickFan said:

Actually, this is not such far fetched idea. If you read "Education of a Coach" Weiss and Crennel get surpisingly little coverage relative to someone like Eric mangini who is a true belichick protoge, despite their respective roles. i don't think he is happy they are gone by any means, but I do think that some of the reluctance to bring in big name/former HC's in coordinator roles is, in some part, due to the fact the Belichick wnats to make sure it is clear that he is the best ever, which would really be the ultimate tribute to his father.

And I have no problem with that as long he keep the team competitive

BelichickFan said:
Right, I didn't mean that there are suddenly questions about Belichick. Just that he may have realized, even before they left, that he would need to do it without them to separate himself. Because if anyone's aware of Parcells never going to/winning the Super Bowl without "his guys" at his side - it's Belichick.

No, he'd take them back in a heartbeat.

I do think that he is somewhat recharged because he had the extra time and less pressure cause we didn't make it last year.

And he had a horrific stress filled emotional year last year.

After marital issues, his father dying and an awful injury riddled season and terrific draining comeback that just fell short, I think he is a happy relaxed guy and he's got plenty left to give.

He was emotionally beat last year.

The analogy doesn't work for me because Charlie and Romeo have not won more SBs as head coaches in the NFL than BB.

No one ever mentioned Parcels not winning without BB until after BB started winning his own SBs.

Glad they're gone was poor wording but I think the challenge will keep the fires burning strong. I agree with RayClay, also, that even though he compartmentalized it well, last year had to be a horrifically difficult year.

BelichickFan said:
Glad they're gone was poor wording but I think the challenge will keep the fires burning strong. I agree with RayClay, also, that even though he compartmentalized it well, last year had to be a horrifically difficult year.
I disagree i tend to think of it as a stepping stone. It was an obstatcle that he had to overcome and he came pretty close to overcoming it. If anybody knows anything about Belichick its that he likes a new challenge and the ability to be the best that he can be giving his all.

BelichickFan said:

to answer the question "i doubt it," but, for what it's worth, BB does, after only one season, indeed already have one more divisional title without C and W than Parcells does after many seasons without BB...

Hoodie said:

Ditto. This is the ONLY correct answer to the question posed. BB just wants to win, he doesn't care how or why.

The 2001 season and this past season were BB's best IMO. Getting a team like the 01 squad into the SB and winning it was something that he may never equal. Last year, guiding this team to a the divisionals with a defense made of chicken wire and bubble gum was nothing short of magnificent. Frankly, there's no doubt in my mind that had we not been playing a playoff game in our Bermuda Triangle (Denver) we would have went on to win the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes