PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else think Beisel can be a good player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickw308810

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Or am I the only one? I mean obviously the guy wasn't up for the task last year, but it was his first year in a complicated system. He made a lot of mistakes but he was becoming a special teams demon in Kansas City. I would believe that BB could turn him into a solid starter for us. Obviously Willie will be missed, but a LB core of Vrabel, Bruschi, Beisel, and Colvin sure doesn't have me panicking.

For me, the pain of the beginning of the Patriots '05 season translated into hatred for Beisel. I can't say for sure, but I think the possibility of him becoming a good player is completely dependent on if he learns how to break off tackles--something he miserably failed to do last season.

re

I completely disagree. Beisel doesn't like to hit people head on, he gets taken out of plays really easily, his tackling is horrible, and he doesn't have much strength or will. He's pretty much the anti- Ted Johnson.

Its almost as if he plays football like he's scared.

Judging from last season....NO.

He didn't have the head, heart or skills.

a good player? yes. a starting ilb? no.

no........

nickw308810 said:
Or am I the only one? I mean obviously the guy wasn't up for the task last year, but it was his first year in a complicated system. He made a lot of mistakes but he was becoming a special teams demon in Kansas City. I would believe that BB could turn him into a solid starter for us. Obviously Willie will be missed, but a LB core of Vrabel, Bruschi, Beisel, and Colvin sure doesn't have me panicking.

I honestly don't.......I think that there are "core" and instinctive things that either a guy is doing at this point...or he is not....and not going to. Beisel makes very slow reads......is a POOR tackler......and is often downright lazy (like not continuing to pursue after he has been beaten}.....like the great players do.........I think unfortuneatly he is a bust.....that is probably why the chiefs were in no great hurry to sign him............one man's opinion

Nope..Biesel will never be more than a ST player IMO

I agree, no. Maybe he can replace Chatham thats it

re

So, to answer your question: yes, you are the only one who thinks Beisel can play.

Beisel is not a football player. He is the opposite of toughness and grit.

I just have to laugh when I hear people say that former DE lacks toughness and grit. I think that too many people are using Tedy Bruschi as the gauge for Monty Beisel, but are expecting Beisel to be where Bruschi is today, not where Bruschi was after he was moved full time to OLB.

Now, that being said, I agree that Beisel needs to work on his tackling. I was blown away at how he would try and wrap up RBs high and try to bring them down as if they were a steer. Most times, they would break the tackle. Beisel was undersized when he got here weighing only 238 lbs. He needed to add a good 15 lbs to be effective so there was no way he was brought in to replace Ted Johnson. And it would be a fallacy on anyone's part who thought that. Beisel, from what I saw, wouldn't explode into his tackles. Maybe it was because of a lack of leg strength, I don't know.

I disagree that Beisel was slow to react. He may have been given up on plays, but I've seen a LOT of players including guys like Brady, Branch, Givens, and O-linemen give up on interceptions because they KNOW there is no way they are going to catch that player.

Beisel doesn't have BLAZING speed. And no one ever claimed he did.

I think that Beisel can be a very good special teamer and a Solid, but not spectacular reserve player. I honestly feel much more comfortable with the thought of Beisel coming off the bench than Izzo.

:ditto:
DaBruinz said:
I just have to laugh when I hear people say that former DE lacks toughness and grit. I think that too many people are using Tedy Bruschi as the gauge for Monty Beisel, but are expecting Beisel to be where Bruschi is today, not where Bruschi was after he was moved full time to OLB.

Now, that being said, I agree that Beisel needs to work on his tackling. I was blown away at how he would try and wrap up RBs high and try to bring them down as if they were a steer. Most times, they would break the tackle. Beisel was undersized when he got here weighing only 238 lbs. He needed to add a good 15 lbs to be effective so there was no way he was brought in to replace Ted Johnson. And it would be a fallacy on anyone's part who thought that. Beisel, from what I saw, wouldn't explode into his tackles. Maybe it was because of a lack of leg strength, I don't know.

I disagree that Beisel was slow to react. He may have been given up on plays, but I've seen a LOT of players including guys like Brady, Branch, Givens, and O-linemen give up on interceptions because they KNOW there is no way they are going to catch that player.

Beisel doesn't have BLAZING speed. And no one ever claimed he did.

I think that Beisel can be a very good special teamer and a Solid, but not spectacular reserve player. I honestly feel much more comfortable with the thought of Beisel coming off the bench than Izzo.

:ditto: You said it all except you didn't mention his hot wife.

I listed to **** Vermeil talk up Beisel many times. Belichick signed him for a reason. I don't see why he can't become a very productive player for the Pats. Whether that will be as a special teamer, LB situational player or a starter down the road, I don't know. I do know that he's the kind of high-motor guy that Belichick can work with.

nickw308810 said:
Or am I the only one?

You are going to have to row your boat with 1 oar Nick.

canred.jpg

I don't have a clue but I do know that when he was starting :

1) Wilfork was getting blown up a lot.
2) Chad Brown was the other ILB.

Neither of those helped.

When Beisel started vs. Jacksonville with Vrabel in the middle in the playoff game he was fairly good, certainly not the massive weakness he looked like earlier. Can he be a legit starter with Vrabel going back outside ? I don't know. But I do know that having Bruschi next to him, being back for a second season and, presumably, having Wilfork playing the way he did the second half could make Beisel look a lot better than he did in the first half last year.

I also think there's a decent chance Belichick thinks he can be a good enough starter because as of now he's a starting ILB with McGinest gone. So unless we sign a veteran ILB or draft a guy who can step right in, Beisel is who we've got.

stcjones said:
I honestly don't.......I think that there are "core" and instinctive things that either a guy is doing at this point...or he is not....and not going to. Beisel makes very slow reads......is a POOR tackler......and is often downright lazy (like not continuing to pursue after he has been beaten}.....like the great players do.........I think unfortuneatly he is a bust.....that is probably why the chiefs were in no great hurry to sign him............one man's opinion

Yup. And he constantly was blown up by blockers. Never once saw him shed a block and make a hit.

I had high hopes for Beisel when we first got him. I know that linebackers usually take a few years to adapt to our complex system and even Bruschi was not an immediate starter. But even before Bruschi became a starter, he showed great pass rushing skills and playmaking ability. While Beisel has at times shown good pursuit skills last season, he never seemed to be able to make the big play. I still have hope for him since he is still part of our team, but i'm less optimistic. I'm more excited about the potential for Claridge or acquiring a playmaker in free agency or the draft at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back