PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else surprised Vinatieri is still out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to get my hopes up but the longer he's out there the better I think the Pats chances are. I could be totally wrong but it would seem that no one has bowled him over with an offer making it easier for the Pats. On the flip side it could also screw the Pats because all the other good FA kickers will be gone.

I'm a little surprised but I think the Longwell trade really threw off his expectations. I think the Pats were already willing to give him more than a $2m per year salary that Longwell received but he decided to hold out for better offers. Now, that offer may not still be on the table. I said before that if Adam didn't take that deal and the Free Agent market for kickers seemed to be less than what he expected, the Patriots should pull the deal they made before FA started and offer Adam a contract at market price. Now it seems that the initial offer by the Pats looks like it's similar to what teams are willing to pay if we consider that many think he will command a slight premium to Longwell.

I'm sure he's waiting for word from teams like Dallas and GB. But the longer that takes, I think the more likely it is that he'll be back with the Pats. With approx. 500k per year in local endorsements, a 2.5m per year offer from the Pats will mena that Dallas and GB will have to spend $3m just to be on par with what Adam can get in NE. I don't think that any team will feel that Adam is worth 50% more than the next highest paid kicker in the league.

Last edited:
his wife and agent

He's still just a kicker

He has been clutch, he is good in adverse weather, I hope he resigns.

However, he is still just a kicker, he's not perfect and he has been paid better than any other kicker. At some point it just becomes greed.

So he makes another 500K somewhere, 260 after taxes. Parcells called it, if he is smart he will stay in NE.

I am a bit surprised. I'm really hopeful we will resign him. To me, Adam IS the NE Patriots.. :rocker:

I think Adam is the most surprised of all.... that being said, its a lot easier to fit a $2-$3 million kicker in a cap than it is for some of the other high priced FAs out there, so its not like there's no more money to be spent

The longer he's out there the better the chances of resigning him - and it gets even better if Olindo Mare becomes an available FA as he will drive down Adam's price and demand for guaranteed money

JoeSixPat said:
I think Adam is the most surprised of all.... that being said, its a lot easier to fit a $2-$3 million kicker in a cap than it is for some of the other high priced FAs out there, so its not like there's no more money to be spent

The longer he's out there the better the chances of resigning him - and it gets even better if Olindo Mare becomes an available FA as he will drive down Adam's price and demand for guaranteed money

I agree, but actually I think the guaranteed money is the entire hangup at this point. The risk remains that Dallas or GB offer him the same deal the Pats did, or even a hair less, but with $4M guaranteed. That's when ego enters the equation, and to some extent they all have egos. The guaranteed money is about faith (in him) and security (for him).

And it's likely if Mare gets cut a Dallas or Indy or Atlanta or GB drive the price up on him. Remember there are at least 4 suitors out their for a kicker besides us.

JoeSixPat said:

I have no idea what Saban is thinking! How do you expect one of the best kickers in the league to restructure a deal that pays him 1.5 mil a year for the next couple of years? Does he think he will get another kicker of Mare's caliber for less or even the same? Dumb, that is all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back