PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else struck by poorly coached teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The Cowboys Eagles game was excitng to watch but had a lot of bad plays in it.
-- poor special teams coverage by eagles on many occasions
-- poor prevent-defense at end of half by eagles
-- bonehead play at endzone by jackson

I didnt come away feeling like Andy Reid is "focused on fundamentals"
Thank god for BB's approach

I don't think you can knock Andy Reid for Desean Jackson. Remember Ty Poole?

Good thread. I thought Brad Childress of the Vikings was God-awful Sunday. I also thought Mangenius was taken to the woodshed by BB Sunday. I was in an area on Monday where WFAN came in clearly and the hosts and callers were not all over Favre to any great degree. Rather, they were disgusted with Mangenius and Schottenheimer and the play-calling..

Man everybody must have wanted the Eagles to win that game. Every message board I visit only mentions the bad things that the Eagles did to give away the game, not the Cowboys.

Romeo Crennell botched the end of each half vs. Pittsburgh, especially the 2nd half by calling a timeout with 2:42 left. Had he left the clock running, the Steelers still would have run a play before letting the clock run down to the 2 minute warning. By calling the timeout at 2:42, the Steelers simply run a play that takes longer than 2 seconds and the clock runs down to the 2 minute warning anyway.

Regards,
Chris

I was appalled by the boy wonder, Manjudas, and the way he ran his team, the clock and how poorly prepared the guys on the field were... he gets everything he deserves..

We are lucky to have BB..

So those are Reid's faults? Sometimes, you just got to give the blame where it belongs, the players. Jackson's play was all him.

What next, blaming Wade Phillips for the two turnovers by Romo and the imcomplete pass he threw at the end of the game that allowed the Eagles to stay in the game.

All you have to do is look at the other sidelines from the Pats last weekend to see bad coaching. The Jets played not to lose. Not as bad as the Vikings did since they took conservative play calling to a whole new level on Sunday. But is was bad.

That is why I never get why people hate a guy like McDaniels so much. Yes, he makes his mistakes, but compared to the rest of the league he is very good at what he does.

I think coaching in general is a problem these days. I think partly it has to do with so much turnover at head coach and most teams wanting to find the next Belichick, Dungy (who has had a lot of questionable moves himself this season, Andy Reid, etc. rather than bring in a seasoned coach for the staff. That is why the Pats have Dom Capers coaching the secondary rather than him running a defense somewhere. Which is really where he should be in a perfect world.

i am actually quite suprised how much bad coaching there is in the nfl. watching that vikings game on sunday they looked like the most predictable offense in football. the coaching by the browns sunday night was brutal at the end of the half, some of the worst i have ever seen.

Romeo Crennell botched the end of each half vs. Pittsburgh, especially the 2nd half by calling a timeout with 2:42 left. Had he left the clock running, the Steelers still would have run a play before letting the clock run down to the 2 minute warning. By calling the timeout at 2:42, the Steelers simply run a play that takes longer than 2 seconds and the clock runs down to the 2 minute warning anyway.

Regards,
Chris

Yeah I was coming in here to say just that. I love Romeo but this should be his last season as HC. The FG when down 21 with 10 minutes or so left against Dallas, and this scenerio Chris brought up are just totally inept decisions. Also kicking the FG against Pittsburgh was a horrible decision.

I watched a good chunk of the Pitt/Cleveland game and I thought Romeo Crennell did a terrible job managing the clock. The last drive in the first half was about as bad a coaching job as I have see in the NFL.

So those are Reid's faults? Sometimes, you just got to give the blame where it belongs, the players. Jackson's play was all him.

What next, blaming Wade Phillips for the two turnovers by Romo and the imcomplete pass he threw at the end of the game that allowed the Eagles to stay in the game.

Fair point on Jackson.
On the terrible specialteams coverage, and bad prevent defense, its different. I think BB emphasizes fundamentals more (tackling, staying in your lane, doing your job). He also looks for CONSISTENCY. (which is why few rookies start on this team). Players are accountable for doing it right all the time. Else they get humble pie.

Fair point on Jackson.
On the terrible specialteams coverage, and bad prevent defense, its different. I think BB emphasizes fundamentals more (tackling, staying in your lane, doing your job). He also looks for CONSISTENCY. (which is why few rookies start on this team). Players are accountable for doing it right all the time. Else they get humble pie.

FWIW-Jackson's character issues are well documented. That wasn't the first time in his football career he pulled that stunt(I believe it was in HS he did the same thing).

He also wanted to sit out the last game of his senior year b/c he didn't want to get hurt, hence hurting his draft stock.

The guy is a phenomenal player, but if he keeps this up, I doubt he'll have a long football career. Plus one of our DEs just put a BIG shot on him in the game...if it had been a TAD harder, he would have left the stadium in a body bag. We'll also see how his small frame can handle a 16 game season.

As for the game-the entire game was just an ugly, mistake-filled, albeit heavyweight battle from beginning to end. Both teams definitely need some cleaning up to do in the coming weeks.

Years ago all we heard about was the gameplan ... if you had a good one you were golden ... a bad one and hopefully your team can make 1/2-time adjustments. i think many teams are still stuck with that philosophy ... except for the elite teams who come up with @ 120 plays chosen based on scouting and their game plan evolves throughout the game.

This past week we saw some bad defense ... bad game plans with no hope of adjustments.

Years ago all we heard about was the gameplan ... if you had a good one you were golden ... a bad one and hopefully your team can make 1/2-time adjustments. i think many teams are still stuck with that philosophy ... except for the elite teams who come up with @ 120 plays chosen based on scouting and their game plan evolves throughout the game.

This past week we saw some bad defense ... bad game plans with no hope of adjustments.

They also happen largely early in the season, why? B/c coaches and players are to some extent, getting their feet wet. After months of not playing a game, the cobwebs are somewhat still there.

Just wait 'till Nov when pretty much everyone's on the same page.

i am actually quite suprised how much bad coaching there is in the nfl. watching that vikings game on sunday they looked like the most predictable offense in football. the coaching by the browns sunday night was brutal at the end of the half, some of the worst i have ever seen.

I agree with that. The Colts gave them so many chances to finish them.

Fair point on Jackson.

The difference between us and everyone else is accountability here starts at the top of the organizational chart and runs all the way down to the last man on the PS roster.

Elsewhere unrealistic expectations rooted in inconsistent performance from the top down fuel ego and/or insecurity driven players, coaches and FO's to commence with the annual countless excuses and inevitable finger pointing.

Last edited:
The Red Skins in week one had no 2 minute O.

Romeo down 28 to 7 with like 7 or 8 minutes on the clock deep in Dallas half of the field and kicks a FG to make it 28 to 10. Dallas gets the ball back and runs out the clock.

I will give Green Bay credit, I think they went with the right guy at QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back