Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone else sick & tired of Consumerism?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jan 1, 2009.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I was watching a movie on a non-pay channel the other night and noticed the the information said the movie was 122 minutes long. What shocked the sh1t out of me was that the station had the movie running from 8pm - 11pm. I'm no mathmetician, but that was 180 minutes slotted for a 122 minute movie....so that meant 58 minute would be commercials!!

Last night (yup, my exciting New Years eve!) I decided to watch "Hang 'em High" on AMC. I couldn't take more than 45 minutes of it because there were commercials every 7-8 minutes and it was driving me insane!

I have never hated the message of "Hey, you need to buy this product!" at any point in my life more than I do now. I am sick of seeing, hearing and reading the pleas of company's asking for my money. I have never felt so BOMBARDED by the message of consumerism as I do now and it's making me NOT want to buy ANYTHING.

I find it sickening and enlightening at the same time. It's like I'm suddenly realizing what a bunch of bullsh1t our economy is based upon and I'm not going to play along any longer. It's my hard-earned money and I'm going to hold onto it like never before.

Sure, I'll consider buying somthing that I see as TRULY adding value to my life. But I will not buy one thing for "image or asthetics".

So I'm curious if anyone else is feeling the same way.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Always have.
    Welcome to the real world.

3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,932 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

It's worse on radio.

I now listen to NPR 90% of the time in my car.

4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Man, you're right on that! WEEI is soooo bad in the afternoon with commercials...but like they say, they have to pay their bills! :rolleyes:

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yeah they have to pay John Dennis, Gerry Callahan and Glen Ordway obscene amounts of money to continue to not know anything at all about Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, Golf, Soccer, Boxing, Racing...

The worst is afternoons in the Summer. In a just world all of WEEI's listeners would be paid a few dollars a day to listen to Smerlas and Nelson talk Baseball while Ordway's vacationing on the Cape.

6. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

you are correct PR. You should be disgusted at the BOWL games like Tostitoes, etc. Guess who is paying for it? the consumer. you should be disgusted by athletes and celebrities getting endorsement deals. we pay for it, but ultimately the little man in Indonesia who is forced to work 16 hrs at a dollar an hr. all so we can buy alot of electronic junk. so my advice is to buy generic on food.

the thing I'm sick of is ...are corporations which has caused this bailout problem. the irony is it's continuing. keyspan was just absorbed by national grid. everything is merging. for all the money in endorsements it's really the owners and execs who are cleaning house. how do you combat that in an information age when they control government?

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Stick to the topic Biggles...I'm not discussing the World Economic Summit protester issues here on this thread, nor do I wish to. You can "TRY" to make everything about exploitation of 3rd world labor, but not in this thread.

I think some would believe EVERYONE in the world should make the same wage! :rolleyes:

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

That is why I tivo most shows and FF through Commercials.. they are a lot over the edge.

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

I actually like the morning show, simply cuz it's more than just sports. However, I do agree that those clowns you mentioned, know NOTHING about sports. They don't know the rules, don't know what player contracts are on the home teams, can't remember who was traded for what, nor who was signed as a free agent. They know so little I find myself constantly yelling at the radio. Mike Holley is the best by far, and they need to bring back Neumie!

10. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

it's all related man. in the end we're all just worker ants where they use us for our labor. it's the trickle up theory.

watcht he matrix and you'll understand.

you don't think nike, reebok, panasonic, sony, apple, etc aren't making money off of you?

how does walmart afford to do a 50% sale or more on items?

consumerism is jammed down our throats.

all that advertising time on tv is paid by you and me.

where do you think they get the money for Superbowl Sunday?

it is all related.

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 3 / -10

NPR, I was wondering why you didn't like Sarah----------:singing:

12. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,932 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

Guilty as charged! ;)

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Biggles...there is no secret to seeing how people dying of starvation in Africa or in the Far East or those who get sick from Big Pharma testing guinnea pig 3rd world citizens or even seeing how 99% of the world population are just cogs in the wheel....That doesn't take a lot of intelligence to figure out. You don't need to read much or even pass a college course to see all of that and more.

My point is, we don't need to tie those issues into every single discussion we have on this site. None of us come to this site to change the world or bear the burden of the world's problems and suffering. If that is our choice, there are avenues to affect such changes...but it's not here.

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,987 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Another it is what it is topic ... we're a captalist society. I just wish we had more of those sexy ads they get to see in Europe.

Also ... speaking of all the commercials ... those nerdy tight tucking local car dealers pimping their cars endlessly in local spots. Never some attractive female ... always a nerdy tight tucking give me your money car dealer.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You just reminded me that I often wonder why so many business owners (car dealers, lawyers, carpet guys, etc.) put themselves in their own commercials. Most of them suck at it and I don't think it adds any personal feel to the commercial.

Even worse, when they think adding their children to them will make it so much cuter! C'mon man, you're kids are cute to YOU, but they aint selling anyone else. :mad:

16. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +552 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I'm not THAT angry...your link is over 2 hours long. You'd make more of a point by making a point and saving us all 2 hours....seriously.

I've been an anti-mega-corp guy since I was a teen, so you don't need to convince me of anything. I wish public corporations were illegal. I support private businesses like the one I work for.

18. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

why so angry? you're reminding me of NEM;)

19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 15 / -8

Might I add that it was funny enough when some rail thin geek with granny glasses would say "Read Marx and you'll understand."

But "watch the Matrix and you'll understand"?

You're reminding me of the time on South Park that Kenny had to die so he could lead the legions of Heaven against the horde from Hell... "Basically, he's Keanu Reeves..."

"Watch South Park and you'll understand."

PFnV

PS, the rest of your post has valid points. But this particular "Read the Matrix" sourcing just pinged past "patently absurd" on my BSmeter, to the point just before "Harry."

20. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

you win. we have free will. we're not worker ants.

I have the free will to choose doritoes or fritoes.

but then again do I choose Nike or Reebok.

I could also rent or buy my house.

In the end they're gonna get your money.

But I guess we could all become hoboes and not be slaves to consumerism.