PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else sick of hearing how "spoiled" Pats fans are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This was a gem I heard in the morning on EEI yesterday. A caller was saying the Pats fans are spoiled, and Callahan agreed they were "obnoxious". The caller said the only true fans are around were the Bruins fans, and that Patriot fans had a feeling of "entitlement".

I'm sorry, but I am so sick of this ridiculous notion that your team has to currently be sucking in order to be a true fan. Factoring the success of the team into how big a fan someone is is the most overblown thing.

As recently as with the Celtics struggles the last few years, I can safely say I probably watched 90% of their games - as I always do - and I can say the fact that they were losing did not detract from achieving what is the simplest reason we watch sports: to obtain a few hours of entertainment. It had little to do with anything noble like "supporting the team" or "being a true fan", I like the Celtics, I like basketball, therefore I watch. Now, the Celtics are the best team in the league and some its fan base and are stupidly calling out "bandwagon fans". Yawn. What a tired argument. I hold no grudge against those that chose not to watch the past several seasons.

And in terms of "entitlement", gee, perhaps we Patsfans as a fanbase feel an expectation of championship level play because this team has been a major player in deciding the Super Bowl champion in 5 of the last 7 years.

Bottom line, this current Brady-Belichick regime is an unordinary pairing, and we as fans of Boston sports may never see such a combination of greatness in any of the major sports again in our lifetime. We need not apologize for that.

Last edited:
This was a gem I heard in the morning on EEI yesterday. A caller was saying the Pats fans are spoiled, and Callahan agreed they were "obnoxious". The caller said the only true fans are around were the Bruins fans, and that Patriot fans had a feeling of "entitlement".

I'm sorry, but I am so sick of this ridiculous notion that your team has to currently be sucking in order to be a true fan. Factoring the success of the team into how big a fan someone is is the most overblown thing.

As recently as with the Celtics struggles the last few years, I can safely say I probably watched 90% of their games - as I always do - and I can say the fact that they were losing did not detract from achieving what is the simplest reason we watch sports: to obtain a few hours of entertainment. It had little to do with anything noble like "supporting the team" or "being a true fan", I like the Celtics, I like basketball, therefore I watch. Now, the Celtics are the best team in the league and some its fan base and are stupidly calling out "bandwagon fans". Yawn. What a tired argument. I hold no grudge against those that chose not to watch the past several seasons.

And in terms of "entitlement", gee, perhaps we Patsfans as a fanbase feel an expectation of championship level play because this team has been a major player in deciding the Super Bowl champion in 5 of the last 7 years.

Bottom line, this current Brady-Belichick regime is an unordinary pairing, and we as fans of Boston sports may never see such a combination of greatness in any of the major sports again in our lifetime. We need not apologize for that.

Well said, sir. Well said.

I think Pats fans have paid their dues having to endure the past season witht he unrelentless media criticism. not to mention the pats historically will be known as a disappointing season being undefeated to lose the SB

Patriots fans are spoiled, especially those who are recent comers. One quick perusal of this forum will show you ample evidence of that.

Last edited:
It's funny, if you read Simmons' book on the 2004 Sox he talks about how what he really wanted out of them winning the Series was to be a fan of a "normal" team like the other fans around the league. For different reasons, I really had and have that feeling about the Patriots from the 2007 season. I just want to be a fan of a team that isn't supremely hated for no good reason and its fans along with it.

Patriots fans are spoiled, especially those who are recent comers. One quick perusal of this forum will show you ample evidence of that.

How are we spoiled? We have a fair portion of negative nancies, how is that different from any other fan base?

spoiled (adjective) having the character or disposition harmed by pampering or oversolicitous attention

How are we spoiled? We have a fair portion of negative nancies, how is that different from any other fan base?

Most "negative nancies" come about on a team that actually loses games. Go back and read the game threads from last season, or the postgame analysis of some of the players. For crying out loud, any time an opposing team got a first down, the chorus of "we suck... player X can't play" got started.

Hell, the weeping and gnashing of teeth just over lower scoring games in the second half of the season was pathetic. There is a sizable contingent of 'fans' that need to be forced to become Raiders fans for at least 2 seasons, just so they can learn what 'suck' really means.

Last edited:

If Bruins fans are "true" fans, call me a bandwagoner.:D

Wait, you're saying that a sports talk radio CALLER said "Pats fans are spoiled"? :eek:

Truly, this must be a sign of the apocalypse.

The way I look at it, it takes almost no character to cheer for a winner--it's as easy as gravity pulling things down. I do believe that "true fans" follow their team win or lose--in fact, this offseason I went to the Fins message board and told those who were still there to take heart that they can never be called bandwagon or fair weather and should hold their heads up high notwithstanding their 1-15 year.

While there are a decent number of Pats fans who fit that characteristic (some of whom post here), like any other winning organization the Pats have also attracted their fair share of bandwagonistas who liked to lord it over fans of other teams (at least before Feb. 3 this year)--as a fan of a team other than the Pats, you wouldn't believe the obnoxious behavior of some of your brethren on other message boards. It was to the point that I almost came over here after the SB just to rub it in, but decided against it as not wanting to stoop as low as they did.

What's really funny about some of those folks, however, is their ignorance about their own team--there were running jokes on my team's (the Bills) boards about obnoxious Pats fans who didn't know who their QB was in the Bears SB or (get this) even remembered that the Pats had lost two SBs. One Bills fan drank free on Pats fans all night after making them buy him drinks to tell them that Tony Eason was their starter in the Bears game. It was as if the history of the Pats started in 2001 to these folks. Ignorance like that, combined with a "Yeah, we're the best, you all suck and [and we heard this a lot from Pats fans before the SB] you all are just a bunch of whining crybabies after we beat your asses" attitude, have helped lead to the phenomenon that the radio guys were no doubt talking about.

Take heart, however, you're not alone--all great teams have this phenomenon. We had plenty of our own in the early 90s (even without winning a SB). Don't worry, the original 19,000 season ticket holders from 1993 may after the Brady era be the only Pats fans left (just kidding.)

Most "negative nancies" come about on a team that actually loses games. Go back and read the game threads from last season, or the postgame analysis of some of the players. For crying out loud, any time an opposing team got a first down, the chorus of "we suck... player X can't play" got started.

Hell, the weeping and gnashing of teeth just over lower scoring games in the second half of the season was pathetic. There is a sizable contingent of 'fans' that need to be forced to become Raiders fans for at least 2 seasons, just so they can learn what 'suck' really means.

I don't know how sizable a contingency this faction is, but I would not say the represent the average Patriot fan.

Start a poll of when posters became Patriot fans. 2001 will come in 5th behind 1976 (spit- Raiders), 1985 (Bears), 1996 (GreenBay Super Bowl Year), 1994 (Bledsoe's first year),and 1983 (Snow Plow).

I don't know how sizable a contingency this faction is, but I would not say the represent the average Patriot fan.

I won't try to give an exact number, but it's definitely a large group. As for whether it represents the average Patriot fan, I think that is somewhat generational. Fans who lived through Lisa Olsen, Rod Rust, McPerson, Parcells and his shenanigans during SB week and the drama that was BB's joining the team are probably far more grounded in just how pathetic this team has frequently been and how much turmoil it's gone through. Those who never had to endure the pre-Parcells/Belechick days likely look at things with a much greater sense of entitlement.

The way I look at it, it takes almost no character to cheer for a winner--it's as easy as gravity pulling things down. I do believe that "true fans" follow their team win or lose--in fact, this offseason I went to the Fins message board and told those who were still there to take heart that they can never be called bandwagon or fair weather and should hold their heads up high notwithstanding their 1-15 year.

While there are a decent number of Pats fans who fit that characteristic (some of whom post here), like any other winning organization the Pats have also attracted their fair share of bandwagonistas who liked to lord it over fans of other teams (at least before Feb. 3 this year)--as a fan of a team other than the Pats, you wouldn't believe the obnoxious behavior of some of your brethren on other message boards. It was to the point that I almost came over here after the SB just to rub it in, but decided against it as not wanting to stoop as low as they did.

What's really funny about some of those folks, however, is their ignorance about their own team--there were running jokes on my team's (the Bills) boards about obnoxious Pats fans who didn't know who their QB was in the Bears SB or (get this) even remembered that the Pats had lost two SBs. One Bills fan drank free on Pats fans all night after making them buy him drinks to tell them that Tony Eason was their starter in the Bears game. It was as if the history of the Pats started in 2001 to these folks. Ignorance like that, combined with a "Yeah, we're the best, you all suck and [and we heard this a lot from Pats fans before the SB] you all are just a bunch of whining crybabies after we beat your asses" attitude, have helped lead to the phenomenon that the radio guys were no doubt talking about.

Take heart, however, you're not alone--all great teams have this phenomenon. We had plenty of our own in the early 90s (even without winning a SB). Don't worry, the original 19,000 season ticket holders from 1993 may after the Brady era be the only Pats fans left (just kidding.)
I think your whole premise is wrong.

So a boy who turned 13 in 2001 and saw his dad get real exited and became a Patriots fan can not be a true fan?

What of the casual fan? The one who three weeks in stopped watching on Sundays during the 1-15 year. (Week #1 was a win, so there was hope at first.) They are not true fans that lack a Hodgeson (sp?) jersey in their closet.

If true fans thought McPhearson (sp?) was a genius, please call me a bandwagoner.:D

I am an original fan....Pats have been my #1 team since I was a very little boy attending their very first game - a heartbreak loss to the Denver Broncos on 9/9/60 at old Braves / BU field.

I feel no more or less of a fan then a newbie fan that just started following the team because they like Tom Brady's looks.

Who cares.....a fan is a fan, whenever they started, no matter if they are fair weather band wagon jumpers or original fans, really has no bearing on my love of the team and the game.

I do not understand why people think they are "better" fans than the next guy. Who is in a position to make that judgment and why would anyone care?

Callahan is a blowhard, everyone knows that, he sits there with punk John Dennis trying to incite for ratings purposes only. I stopped listening to them years ago when they actually thought people cared about their worldly opinions. Thank G-D for Sirius radio!!

Start a poll of when posters became Patriot fans. 2001 will come in 5th behind 1976 (spit- Raiders), 1985 (Bears), 1996 (GreenBay Super Bowl Year), 1994 (Bledsoe's first year),and 1983 (Snow Plow).

Please, 2001 was the year the Pats were basically resurrected. Of course, the team experienced more fan growth then. Don't be naive.

Was the team consistently selling out in those other years and among the league leaders in merchandise sales?

But to be fair, I think I became a real fan in the 1985 season. However, I don't remember many following me.

I became a fan in 2001. I was 11 at the time and my uncle convinced me watching the Dolphins game with him, he was a hard core fan. I've had everyone and their mother call me a bandwagon fan. I'm 18 now, and now if I jumped ship I'd see it. But at 11, what the hell was there to know? Obviously I didn't know anything, they weren't champions at that point either, **** not even division champs. I just had a lucky start to watching Boston sports.

I don't think a fan on this forum saying this team MAY have some concern because they almost lost is being fair wetaher. It's being an analyst, discussing things which is what this board stands for. What's more annoying is those of you who run around here being so overly position there's no trust to your posts. Being an optimist is one thing, it's being plain stupid that's something else.

Expecting this team to win and being pissed they choke isn't being a bandwagon fan. That's being a true suffering thing thinking of what could have been. We're hungry as anyone else, king of the hill the Patriots are not anymore.

Please, 2001 was the year the Pats were basically resurrected. Of course, the team experienced more fan growth then. Don't be naive.

Was the team consistently selling out in those other years and among the league leaders in merchandise sales?

But to be fair, I think I became a real fan in the 1985 season. However, I don't remember many following me.

Obviously not, as your team had 19,000 season ticket holders in 1993, in one of the biggest cities in America, no less.....

What you don't take into consideration is that the Pats were a terrible team owned by an owner doing everything in his power to move the team to St Louis. When we got a real owner, the facts speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down