PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else MORE optimistic after last night's loss to 49ers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I "feeling more optimistic?"

Are you kidding me?

The defense went right back to being a sieve against any kind of significant talent. The special teams played like crap. Arrington was left to hang on an island by himself against Michael Crabtree late in the 4th quarter of a tied game (bring back any memories?), we lost our rookie CB Dennard, Spikes limped off the field like a lame bunny rabbit AFTER playing like crap all game due to his pre-existing injury, Ridley fumbled 2x which is certainly a concern based on his past, Hernandez stood like a deer in the headlights after he bobbled the ball on the INT rather than ya know, tackling the player, the team now has to play 3 playoff games to get to the SB instead of 2, we lose the potential of a first round bye, and now we get to go to Denver--which has been a house of horrors against Manning, no less.....

Why in the hell would I feel more optimistic? Because the offense came back vs a prevent soft shell zone defense (for the most part) once the 49'ers had the lead?

Are we suddenly the KC Chiefs where we should get points for "gutting it out?"

Last week the team was coasting along with the #2 seed and the ability to host Denver AND have a first round bye, which is much needed for the injured players. We all were celebrating the prospect of the "new" defensive production, the ability to stop both the run and the pass, etc. Now things are much different.

Is the world over? No...but I'm not sure why we should feel MORE optimistic.

I think your over emphasizing the negatives, Ridley only has one fumble going into the game, they were playing the game with a greased pig last night, Dennard appears to be ok so Arrington can go back to nickel slot, Hernandez got rocked the play before the bobble, Brady probably shouldnt have thrown it to him as he looked a little out of it going back to the huddle, once he got his marbles back he played better.
I still think we have a good shot at a bye but even if we dont I think they can win road games. The reason Im optimistic is I think some of the young guys learned some lessons and made some mistakes that they wont make again the rest of the year. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during film session today.

I think your over emphasizing the negatives, Ridley only has one fumble going into the game, they were playing the game with a greased pig last night, Dennard appears to be ok so Arrington can go back to nickel slot, Hernandez got rocked the play before the bobble, Brady probably shouldnt have thrown it to him as he looked a little out of it going back to the huddle, once he got his marbles back he played better.
I still think we have a good shot at a bye but even if we dont I think they can win road games. The reason Im optimistic is I think some of the young guys learned some lessons and made some mistakes that they wont make again the rest of the year. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during film session today.

I think that you make some valid counter-arguments, no doubt. Over reaction? Sure. I can buy that 100%, but there are also some clear cut facts too.

1. Ridley has 4 fumbles on the year right now. Remember that it only took ONE lost fumble last year (and one fumble out of bounds) to be benched for the entire post-season. Fumbling 4 times now, with 3 of them being of late has got to be at least a slight concern.

Stevan Ridley NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

2. I am not sure how you can really say that you think "we still have a good shot at the bye" when Denver plays home to Cleveland this week, and KC the next week. The odds of them losing one of those games (or HOU losing BOTH of their remaining 2 to Minnesota and Indy) are certainly not good at all.

To put it in perspective for you, I believe the playoff odds generator now has Denver as a 61% chance of playing in the AFFCG, with us falling all the way down to 34%. Those are some pretty steep odds right there. The loss last night took us from being a heavy, heavy favorite to play in the AFCCG (and even host it), all the way down to a 1/3 chance...that is not something to be "even more optimistic about" on any level in my opinion.

It also factors in the need for that bye, due to many, many nagging injuries on this team at the wrong time of the year. That is very likely lost now. Couple that with now having to play 3 games instead of simply 2 with one of those games now against the Steelers, and add in going on the road for an instant guaranteed matchup (#3 automatically goes to #2 if they win their game) at Mile Hile stadium vs Peyton Manning.

It's been a house of horrors for the NEP in general, and more importantly, Tom Brady specifically.

I don't know how anyone would feel "more optimistic" by these events, and that is leaving out many of the problems that I included in my first post.

While I can agree that it may have been an over reaction of sorts, there are still a lot of facts in there too ;) The return of Gronk will obviously help tremendously. I am not quite as positive about Dennard as you are, as most of the reports stated that he was trying to bend his knee on the sidelines and simply couldn't effectively enough. While I do think that he comes back for sure, it may not be for a game or two.

Last edited:
First: I am very confident about the ability of this team, and I think sunday night has again proven that its there.

Second: Since Denver won in Baltimore this loss increased our probability of missing out on the bye significantly. This means one more game witha thirty percent chance of losing and additional posibilities for injuries. There is no way to offset that one from anything like increase motivation etc.

So after Sundays game I feel better about the overall ability of this team to beat everybody, but less optimistic about winning the Super Bowl.

It's a loss, no doubt...there were ugly moments, most notably the fumbling, the terrible reaction to the fake punt (can't remember who was on the outside--Arrington maybe--but whoever it was looked like he was going through the motions, backing up for his blocking and seemed completely taken by surprise) and allowing the kickoff return/quick TD after crawling back into the game.

All that said, this team showed a LOT in their comeback bid. First and foremost, the generic don't give up attitude; this team showed amazing resolve and knowing they'll have a tough road unless Denver gifts them the #2 seed they'll need it. The offense absolutely dismantled the best defense in the league for 25 minutes, Brady put on an absolute clinic in the second half and he did it without the best all-around weapon in the NFL. The defense, minus the Crabtree TD, was wholly dominant in the second half. Sure, Kapearnick had four TD throws, but San Fran started drives inside NE territory a ridiculous eight times, and inside the NE 30 on half of those occasions. I don't care what kind of D you have, you're giving up a lot of points when defending a short field all night, the fact that they shut SF's offense down during the comeback and basically gave up the one big play the last 25 minutes tells me a ton about where this defense has come.

And finally, I don't prescribe to the idea that a team needs to lose a game to get that 'fire in the belly' late in the year...but I think this game is the perfect thing to motivate this team: they have to be proud of the way they fought, but they also have to be embarrassed at the mistakes. They have to be pissed at the loss, but they also have to be encouraged that they dismantled the best defense in the league for 25 minutes. And finally, they have to be frothing at the mouth for a rematch, I want to see Kapaernick and the Smith's in the playoffs and I'm sure this team does too. Gronk's back this week, the team has two weeks to 'rest'--get everyone healthy and get the offense running on all cylinders and bring on the playoffs! :rocker:

more optimistic? no....but on a night against a tough, tough opponent, when none of the bounces went their way, and playing without arguably their #2 offensive weapon, they almost pulled it out

gronk not playing is huge....not only for what he gives you catching the ball, and the matchup problems he can create over the middle, but for the formational flexibility it gives the patriots, and the havoc it creates with opposing defenses

that two TE set with gronk & ahern is something we haven't seen much of this year, and something that completely changes the complexion of that offense......they can run and pass with equal effectiveness, with ridiculous matchup issues......that no huddle/quick set offense with the two TE package in IS what we have ll been dying to see, and hopefully will be seeing from here on out......through that into this mix, and i think it changes things

SF is a great team.....i would love to see them again just because i think that would be a matchup of the two best teams in the game right now, and that dynamic offense vs. dynamic defense is an excellent matchup

but considering just how good SF is, just how poorly the pats played (yeah, some of that was to SF's credit.....but there were dropped balls, blown assignments, missed tackles as well), what they were missing in personnel & therefore how it changes the playbook, and they were still tied with 6 to play......it doesn't change anything in terms of my expectations......i still think they are the best team in the AFC, and i still expect a deep run in the tournament

i believed coming into this came they were a very good team......i knew coming in that they could be beaten by a very good team.....that hasn't changed

On Sunday morning 2 teams in the NFL worried me, now no team does the giants worry me because they have turned up the heat at the end of the past few seasons. The 49ers scared me I feared they could keep the score down real low and could break a few plays open. Now I know we can move and score on the 49ers we could win a shoot out with them. The giants are looking poor. The loss puts us in a place where we rely on others rather than hold our own cards. The broncos could loose a game. I think it's more likely that if we come by the no. 2 seed it will be at the texans expense the colts were in a few ways like us vs 49ers a few mistakes and better ST away from being tied. Also Adrian Peterson has shown he is the best back in football and the strongest man in the NFL I doubt many others could pick up their team and run with it so the texans have a fight on their hands.

I like Bill Belichick in a rematch with both Harbaughs. Give him enough tape and the opportunity to game plan for you twice in the same season and it's advantage Patriots.

The Ravens and the Niners games were marred by sloppy play, costly penalties and turnovers. In both cases, the Pats rang up 30 or more points against highly regarded defenses. I like the Pats to clean up a lot of their miscues in the playoffs, so I am optimistic, especially with Gronk at the playoff fiesta.

At this point, the Patriots have played the 2012 editions of the Ravens, Broncos, Texans, and Colts - virtually all of the current (12-18-2012) playoff teams except the Bengals. The other team on the cusp is the Steelers who the Pats have not played. Neither the Steelers nor the Bengals look too intimidating to me.

On the NFC side, the Pats have played only the Niners and the Seahawks, so in a way the advantage might be to get either one in a rematch. I'd prefer that over playing the Falcons, for instance, who look very much for real.

The Broncos defense has absolutely no answers for the Patriots offense, and they acknowledged as much after the loss earlier this season. I really don't see how this has changed in any way, so I'm not sure where all the fear about them is coming from. Manning is great, no doubt, but he's never been great outdoors in the play-offs and that's exactly the situation he's going to be facing. Do i think the Patriots are a lock to beat them, no, but would i feel good about the Patriots going to Denver, absolutely.

This Patriots team has been improving steadily all season, despite some serious injuries, and a stumble against a really good 49ers team doesn't change that in any way. Imo they will continue to improve and will peak for the play-offs. I expect a great run in the tournament for this team and believe it is going to take their best game for any of their competition to get by them. It's pretty easy to find negatives after any game, and i'm sure Belichick has had few shortages of plays to criticize after every game this season, but overall the team has been getting better as the season has progressed and i really expect that to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back