PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else just feel depressed right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the days when the the whole concept of going 8-8 sounded promising. The Pats were the joke of the league for the first 15-20 years I started watching them. This current team has been ridiculously good for a VERY long time; to the point where we as fans have come to stop appreciating it and just downright expect it. Let's be honest, we as a fanbase have become fickle.

We complain about and criticize our drafting, which is MILES better than it was in the 80's and 90's . It's one thing for BB to whiff on 2nd and 3rd rounders compared to previous management whiffing at or near the top of the 1st round year after year. We complain about performances in playoffs when over the last 14 years we have had the most playoff wins of any team in the league. 5 Super Bowls and 8 AFC Championship appearances is an aberration, not something that should be expected.

Years from now, we are going to look back and think: "remember when we used to count on going 12-4 and making a run in the playoffs year in and year out.." Nothing to be depressed about when you pull back and assess the situation with a more open eye.

Lets go back 58 years. Starting in 1957, Boston never went more than 3 years without a championship until 1976 to 1981 - a 5 year drought. Then 1 more in 84 and 86 and then what...

15 more years before they win their next championship. And now, since then, 8 more in this last 14 year span. Imagine living half your teems and all of your 30's and never seeing one championship.

I'm not depressed. I feel a bit depressed when we have a great team and encounter a massive disappointment (SB's, Jets in the divisional round).

I'm more in shock that the coaching and personnel decisions have been so bad.

I feel worse than after the superbowl losses as after them at least we knew the future of this organization was solid for the foreseeable future, for the first time I feel like the future is on a bit of shaky ground...
That's a pretty good way to put it. I find myself today unwillingly questioning the abilities and decisions of people I've never questioned before. We've had horrible losses and short periods of poor play before, but this feels different to me. It's really unsettling.

That's a pretty good way to put it. I find myself today unwillingly questioning the abilities and decisions of people I've never questioned before. We've had horrible losses and short periods of poor play before, but this feels different to me. It's really unsettling.

I remained optimistic through the first 3 games, but after last night it is becoming a bit more difficult.

We'll have a better idea what to think after Sunday night's game on national TV again. Let's just hope it's not another repeat performance in front of the entire world, making it 2x in 6 days.

To the OP, yes, a little. This board has been a little bit theraputic for me today. Being in Nashville, there are not many Pats fans and none i work with. Was able to d/l the weei app and listened to that all day today in my office. Some of the clowns that called in actually made me laugh a bit. Then the Jets fans and Miami fans called in and i felt much better. The pure hate from them made me realize, they are in a much worse place.

I remained optimistic through the first 3 games, but after last night it is becoming a bit more difficult.

We'll have a better idea what to think after Sunday night's game on national TV again. Let's just hope it's not another repeat performance in front of the entire world, making it 2x in 6 days.
Agreed. I know that there are millions of fans of other teams (and media members) who have been salivating for a decade at the prospect of what everyone saw last night and now there's blood in the water. Another national embarrassment, and at home, will result in pure frenzy. And, we'll just have no recourse but to take it. Strange feeling we're all unaccustomed to.

Agreed. I know that there are millions of fans of other teams (and media members) who have been salivating for a decade at the prospect of what everyone saw last night and now there's blood in the water. Another national embarrassment, and at home, will result in pure frenzy. And, we'll just have no recourse but to take it. Strange feeling we're all unaccustomed to.

I can't help but feel strangely confident that we're going to come out and give a much better performance, based on pride alone. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm still confident that we're going to turn it around. Certainly hope I am right on this one somehow.

I can't help but feel strangely confident that we're going to come out and give a much better performance, based on pride alone. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm still confident that we're going to turn it around. Certainly hope I am right on this one somehow.
I agree and I feel we'll be much better, also. But if we aren't, all hell is gonna break loose and if we think it's bad now,...

First off, it's not stupid at all Supa. Your cautious optimism in regards to our New England Patriots is always welcome, as it keeps debates grounded, and I've never seen you spiral into homerspeak.

Personally, I think we're not beating the Bengals, though I highly doubt that we're gonna get blown out again next week. As bad as we've been in 2.5/4 games, I don't think this is a team that will routinely get blown out, even if we are playing a better team than Kansas City. It just doesn't feel likely, given that we're playing at home with our backs to the wall.

The problem is, I don't feel comfortable going 2-3. Had we beaten Miami or KC, I wouldn't have been too worried predicting a loss against the Bengals, but now they need a win and I don't see any way we beat them the way we've been playing. Perhaps the O-line will improve with the new line up, but that doesn't mitigate some of the more bonheaded moves the coaching staff has been making. The two most notable last night were sitting Thompkins or Dobson in favor of Danny A, a guy who may have shown flashes here and there (2013: 1st Buffalo game, Pittsburgh, 2nd Dolphins game, WC RD against the Colts)., but is simply grossly overpaid when taking into account his lack of consistent production. Although it's not a Chad Johnson level bad signing (in terms of production that is), they've spent too much on a guy who's essentially become a glorified backup at this point. I admire his tenacity and I don't blame him for signing a contract that overvalues him, but he has yet to produce results that could justify his being around past this year). More concerning than the WR situation, however, is how the team has used Revis. If they continue using him the way they have, 12-14 mil won't be enough to get him to stay, and we'll be in deep **** in regards to our CB situation.

Honestly what disheartens me the most is that this team on paper, shouldn't suck as much as it does, and that the coaching staff doesn't seem to learn from it's mistakes. There are some things to look forward too, but I worry that there's something fundamentally wrong going on, and it has nothing to do with some long term plan to move on to JAG (if they wanted to sabotage Brady, they would have done more to make his offense suck, such as not Edelmen or refusing to give Stork and Flemming any time).

But I guess we'll find out Sunday how they respond to this loss. Depending on what happens, I'll probably respond in the following fashion...

1:They get blown out again, and I might very well give up on this season.

2: They blow out the Bengals, and I will be pleasantly befuddled at how they managed to turn it around.

3: They lose a close, low scoring game and I won't be shocked.

4: They win a close, low scoring game, and some of my worries on D will be resolved, whilst my worries on O will continue.

5: If the game ends up in a shootout (more than 30 pts) in any way shape or form, I'll be utterly baffled as to the identity of the 2014' Pats.

I agree and I feel we'll be much better, also. But if we aren't, all hell is gonna break loose and if we think it's bad now,...

My brother, we are currently experiencing a craptastrophe in Patsland.. A blowout Sunday night, and it'll be a crapaclysm... And if we lose 3 in a row? Well I think the board will look something like this...

I'm not even angry at this point, I'm just depressed after this game. Like all the sports fan life has been sucked outta me.

No.

I am disappointed with the coaching.

At the quarter, we're 2-2 and tied for the lead in the division. Let's have this discussion again during the bye week. We'll know a lot more by then or not (we could be 4-5 or 5-4 and still be leading the division).

I know Alice in Wonderland and Football don't go hand in hand but it kinda feels like us fans are Alice after the spell of the mushrooms dissipates and we go from being taller and better than everybody else to back to being small again.

It is saddening to think that an era may be coming to an end.

One thing to remember...9-7 might still win this division.

And in 2011 a team-who-shall-not-be-named with a 9-7 record won the Super Bowl.

No. Why should I? It's week 4 and they're 2-2.

result in a frenzy? did you watch tv at all today?? lol all of the brady haters were out in full force. i hope tom terrfic shuts them all up with a big performance.

result in a frenzy? did you watch tv at all today?? lol all of the brady haters were out in full force. i hope tom terrfic shuts them all up with a big performance.
To answer your question, no I didn't watch one second of sports shows, sports reports or listen to anything sports related on the radio. I didn't have to and didn't want to. And you know what? I had a much, much better day because of it. Why would anyone listen or watch???

I'm not depressed or angry about the game since I didn't watch it live. Even after finally watching the game. I'm pretty sure I'd been screaming at the tv and totally pissed off if I watched it live. Funny how that works. None of the high's and low's. I normally only watch games again that we win(too unbearable to relieve the losses) but since I didn't watch this one I had to see what went wrong.

The two most notable last night were sitting Thompkins or Dobson in favor of Danny A, a guy who may have shown flashes here and there (2013: 1st Buffalo game, Pittsburgh, 2nd Dolphins game, WC RD against the Colts)., but is simply grossly overpaid when taking into account his lack of consistent production. Although it's not a Chad Johnson level bad signing (in terms of production that is), they've spent too much on a guy who's essentially become a glorified backup at this point. I admire his tenacity and I don't blame him for signing a contract that overvalues him, but he has yet to produce results that could justify his being around past this year). More concerning than the WR situation, however, is how the team has used Revis. If they continue using him the way they have, 12-14 mil won't be enough to get him to stay, and we'll be in deep **** in regards to our CB situation.

---I agree with the frustration regarding Amendola. I'm not quite understanding what's going on there, or if it's still related to last year's injury with a lost step etc, but he isn't even getting many looks and certainly isn't doing much for the team. I didn't expect Thompkins to be active too much this season initially, but after a strong showing in TC/summer, I believe that he's earned the right. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as though Belichick agrees.

---I think Belichick's thinking last night was to go run-heavy with 5 RBs and only 3 WRs (+ Gronk, of course). Oddly enough, for the second week in a row they came out slinging the ball, and started off 14/21 plays as passing attempts. It's almost bizarre to try and figure out.

---The DL looks weak to me. We still have a major need for an additional rotational DE to give Ninkovich (who has been invisible) and Chandler Jones a break. Until that happens, it's likely going to continue to be a weakness. I know that everyone is high on Chandler Jones, and I think he has obvious potential, but he still struggles to set the edge too often for my liking. I think the Chiefs saw a weakness on film and took clear advantage of that last night.

---The zone coverage scheme has not only been ineffective for our pass rushing, but it also has somehow managed to make Revis look bad in the past two outings--and that's after giving him the benefit of the doubt against Mike Wallace in week one, who pretty much had his way with him. Certainly not what we expected when we brought him here. I agree with you. Not only will Revis want to play elsewhere, but it'd be a poor fit for the Patriots as well.

Last edited:
well, you can sit here and pity party the rest of the week...I'M GOING Sunday Night....look for the guy in THIS hat honking wildly and telling the Bungle fans to "buzz off!"...

716tmFMSzjL._SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back