PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else giving up their season tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had season tickets from 1979-1981 and them my buddie bailed on me
after the Earhardt 2-14 season.

I got them back in 1987 and this will be my 24th straight year.

I have been through the fights of the late 70's & early 80's.
1979 Labor day season opener against the Steelers.
They opened the gates at noon for a 9pm game.

Who remembers the LA Beer years?

Kraft has done a good job with the team, but I paid 31 dollars for my
tickets in 2001 & when we moved to the new stadium the following
year, I was paying $75. The same seats are now costs $117.

People love a winner, but they will not spend top dollar to watch a loser.

The waiting list may be 50,000 but a losing season will see that
list disapear the same way the Celtics waiting list disapeared after
Bird retired.

The Celtics did not even sell out their $10 tickets for some of those
lousy seasons prior to Garnett joining the team.

When Brady & Belichick retire and the team hits the skids, you may need
direct-tv to watch a sunday game. They are going to have a tough time
selling out if the team goes through back to back losing seasons.

The club seat owners will be the first rats to desert the sinking ship.

I am keeping my tickets because I have two young children (I am an old dad of 48).
I am looking forward to taking my kids to the games in a couple years.
I also plan to turn the tickets over to the kids in about 15-20 years.

Then again... plans can change.

You sure were racing for the exit in 2008.

Matt Cassel says "hi", Joe.

Last edited:
You are going to commute from Montreal to Foxboro on a weekly basis as
a season ticket holder?

Sure. It's less than a 6 hour drive if all goes well and I have friends in Mass. that I can crash with. I've done the ride a million times. I wouldn't do it 81 times a year, but I can handle 8 + playoffs (i hope).

you're not wrong. do a quick search for his posts and you'll see that almost every one of his posts is about ticket prices. blah blah blah. i wish he would just drop them already, it helps me move up the list.

Hilarious, you're right!

Looking at Gainzo's posting history and you see the spittin' image of Pa Kettle - - "Oh yeah, I'm going to do that one of these days". Over 2 and 1/2 years running - - the same threat, over and over.

Gainzo, it's time to let loose or get off the pot, bud. Something tells me we'll all be reading the same lamentation from this guy in 2023........"Anyone want my $75,349 season tickets......."

Honestly, if it's giving you such pain, cut the cord and take control of your life. You can do it!!! :D

Does anyone go to all the games ... I bet there aren't many - pre season excluded.

I understand this completely! It's a huge financial commitment and in this economy - meh. I have been going to about three home games per year for the last few years and it suits me just fine. I had season tix a long time ago.

yeah, it's an individual choice. nothing wrong with going to 0 or 8 games a year. it comes down to funds and priorities.

Sure. It's less than a 6 hour drive if all goes well and I have friends in Mass. that I can crash with. I've done the ride a million times. I wouldn't do it 81 times a year, but I can handle 8 + playoffs (i hope).

I tip my hat to you. You are a REAL fan.

Does anyone go to all the games ... I bet there aren't many - pre season excluded.

As noted in an earlier post I've missed only two home games since 1994. I usually go to the preseason games too. It's my hobby. I don't take expensive vacations (or really any vacation being self-employed), but I also try to get to a couple Pats away games as well -- usually Jersey and Buffalo.

Last edited:

Holy _______

I'm from Lake Placid....... 1hr 20 plus from Montreal

That is dedication.... damn I hate long rides. even when I go to Boston... I hate the ride.

I tip my hat to you. You are a REAL fan.

As noted in an earlier post I've missed only two home games since 1994. I usually go to the preseason games too. It's my hobby. I don't take expensive vacations (or really any vacation being self-employed), but I also try to get to a couple Pats away games as well -- usually Jersey and Buffalo.

Thanks, but it sounds like YOU are the real fan to me. Good for you for doing it. More fans like you would mean a more significant home field advantage.

We have had season tickets for 40 consecutive years now - first in my dads name, now in mine and soon to be in my kids names (Thank you Patriots for now allowing family transfers and thank you for no PSL's).

I haven't missed a game since Gillette opened.

I missed very few games going back to the day Schaeffer opened.

I have seen the Patriots play in every single stadium they have called home going back to their first season when my dad took me to the opener at BU Field VS the Bronco's.

There is no way anyone can tell me watching on TV is even close to watching an NFL game, in person. I see enough on TV with the away games.

I understand times are tough and feel bad the cost have driven out many. That is simply the way it is in professional sports these days, all over the country and is not about to change anytime soon.

I'll be 38 in October and I've had my tickets since 1992. Time for me to step down and let the people who want to go to Foxboro take my place.

If anyone wants to give Bob Kraft $5,000 by March 31st let me know.

$5,000 is a ridiculous price to pay to watch some football games in person. In the age of HD tv I would rather stay home than pay 5k to see the Patriots. That doesn't even take into account the $50 to park your car and the $13 beers.

Hate to say it, but the whole thing has become a ripoff.

Holy _______

I'm from Lake Placid....... 1hr 20 plus from Montreal

That is dedication.... damn I hate long rides. even when I go to Boston... I hate the ride.

not really such a big deal. I like driving, and the ride between Montreal and Boston is pretty nice with no real traffic between the cities. snow can really eff things up in the winter, of course. they do a good job of plowing 89 but i wouldn't do the drive in a blizzard.

I know what it meant..... my Uncle always used it in a positive way eg. \

It had positive connotations.

"We are in Schaeffer City"

It all makes sense now b/c Schaeffer was 1st name for Foxboro.

Imagine that I learned something:)

They are all yours mate if you want them. Please send me a cheque for $5,107 please.

How many seats do you have, and where are they? I'm guessing at that price you have THREE sideline seats in the lower bowl. Individually they should be around $1,690 each for the season. So if you split ticket costs and parking with someone you're in for around $2k/season give or take a few bucks for ancillaries like food and drink. It's a significant chunk of change but not outrageous if you're a big fan of NFL football. I pay $2,340 for my two seats in the mezzanine and my buddy pays for his tix to join me at most of the games and he drives in from Woodstock N.Y. (I live in Lowell, Mass.). We split parking and tailgate. Again, it's not cheap, but I think it's worth it.

Last edited:
You sure were racing for the exit in 2008.

Matt Cassel says "hi", Joe.

I never said that I was going to give up my season tickets.

In the heat of frustration after Brady got hurt I said that I was
going to list my tickets on ticket exchange because I did not want to
pay to see Matt Cassel play QB.

I put half of my games on ticket exchange after Brady got hurt in 2008.

I was hurting for money that year and pissed that Kraft had raised the
ticket prices again. When Brady went down, I did not think we had a
chance with Cassel.

Cassel did far better than I expected, but we still did not make the playoffs.

Funny thing about that season .... none of the dedicated 50,000 wannabee
season ticket holders were buying tickets on ticket exchange in 2008.

I ended up going to all but one game in 2008 because my tickets
did not sell.

Even this year I could not make the Jax game and I listed my tickets
on ticket exchange. It took 3 weeks before someone decide to buy my tickets.

When they started ticket exchange I remember posting my tickets
for sale (I work nights) at 05:00 am on a Saturday morning and they
were sold within 5 minutes.

Not anymore....

There are tons of tickets available on ticket exchange.

That is why I have no doubt that a 5-11 season without Belichick and
Brady will wipe out the waiting list and a good portion of the club
seat fans.

That is good news for a guy like you Schmessy.
You and your friends will be able to get those tickets to the one game
a year you go to in the warm weather with little problem.

The fact that you live out of state also means that you will not have to
worry about a blackout if we do not sell out when Bill & Tom head off
to the sunset.

Last edited:
Ahh, the annual Gainzo thread. Next time, just let us know when you've given the tickets up. Until then, nobody really cares.

Your right Schmessy.... I actually put half of my games on ticket exchange
after Brady got hurt in 2008.

I was hurting for money that year and pissed that Kraft had raised the
ticket prices again. When Brady went down, I did not think we had a
chance with Cassel.

Cassel did far better than I expected, but we still did not make the playoffs.

Funny thing about that season .... none of the dedicated 50,000 wannabee
season ticket holders were buying tickets on ticket exchange in 2008.

I ended up going to all but one game in 2008 because my tickets
did not sell.

Even this year I could not make the Jax game and I listed my tickets
on ticket exchange. It took 3 weeks before someone decide to buy my tickets.

When they started ticket exchange I remember posting my tickets
for sale (I work nights) at 05:00 am on a Saturday morning and they
were sold within 5 minutes.

Not anymore....

There are tons of tickets available on ticket exchange.

That is why I have no doubt that a 5-11 season without Belichick and
Brady will wipe out the waiting list and a good portion of the club
seat fans.

That is good news for a guy like you Schmessy.
You and your friends will be able to get those tickets to the one game
a year you go to in the warm weather with little problem.

The fact that you live out of state also means that you will not have to
worry about a blackout if we do not sell out when Bill & Tom head off
to the sunset.

Well, yes, that's exactly my strategy. I go to about one game per year. Plus, there's no such thing as a blackout when the local sports pub has eleventy billion big screen TV's with SundayTicket. Isn't the concept of "blackout" kind of anachronistic in this age of Sunday Ticket anyhow? Really, what fan actually says "drat, I can't see my team" without the basic knowledge that they can go down the street, have a few brews and some chicken wings and watch 12 screens at one time - - with your hometown 'blacked out" on conventional TV team?

A "blackout" is for someone with an old fashioned analog TV who can't get out of the house to their local watering hole.

My question is why season ticket holders keep their season tickets while complaining about the cost and gameday experience? Isn't the cushy, comfy, HD alternative sitting right there?

Last edited:
Well, yes, that's exactly my strategy. I go to about one game per year. Plus, there's no such thing as a blackout when the local sports pub has eleventy billion big screen TV's with SundayTicket. Isn't the concept of "blackout" kind of anachronistic in this age of Sunday Ticket anyhow? Really, what fan actually says "drat, I can't see my team" without the basic knowledge that they can go down the street, have a few brews and some chicken wings and watch 12 screens at one time - - with your hometown 'blacked out" on conventional TV team?

A "blackout" is for someone with an old fashioned analog TV who can't get out of the house to their local watering hole.

My question is why season ticket holders keep their season tickets while complaining about the cost and gameday experience? Isn't the cushy, comfy, HD alternative sitting right there?

When the tickets go from $31 to $117 in a eight year period, you
are bound to hear people with a gripe.

I plan on keeping my seats because I have young kids, but I have
to be honest... I wonder how I will feel after the next Rod Rust 1-15
season. During the last two 1-15 seasons (Rod Rust & **** McPhearson, I paid $360 for my 2 season tickets as a single guy.

I am now paying about $2400 for my 2 tickets and I have a family to support. I may rethink my plan after the next 1-15 season, knowing that individual game tickets would not be hard to find.

Spending $468 on two useless preseason games makes individual tickets look like a valid option.

Last edited:

Actually no, the term 'blackout' is still valid - with or without Sunday Ticket. If a game is blacked out in a specific viewing area (I believe it is within 75 miles of the stadium), it is blacked out on all televisions in that area regardless of how the signal is delivered, and whether it is a home or a business. Doesn't matter if you are receiving your signal via cable, dish, or rabbit ears, and it doesn't matter if you're trying to watch at home or watch at the local pub that has Sunday Ticket.

For example, people in the Jacksonville area couldn't just go to a local sports bar to see a Jaguars home game last year. The bars that had Sunday Ticket could access every game except for that Jaguars home game that didn't sell out. If you're outside that 75-mile radius you can pick up every game regardless of whether it sells out or not, but not if you live locally.

Sunday ticket does not eliminate blackouts. So yes blackouts still happen.

Actually no, the term 'blackout' is still valid - with or without Sunday Ticket. If a game is blacked out in a specific viewing area (I believe it is within 75 miles of the stadium), it is blacked out on all televisions in that area regardless of how the signal is delivered, and whether it is a home or a business. Doesn't matter if you are receiving your signal via cable, dish, or rabbit ears, and it doesn't matter if you're trying to watch at home or watch at the local pub that has Sunday Ticket.

For example, people in the Jacksonville area couldn't just go to a local sports bar to see a Jaguars home game last year. The bars that had Sunday Ticket could access every game except for that Jaguars home game that didn't sell out. If you're outside that 75-mile radius you can pick up every game regardless of whether it sells out or not, but not if you live locally.

I never knew that - - thanks for setting me straight!

Of course, it doesn't affect all those internet TV sites (not that I'm endorsing that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back