PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else gettng tired of Bush-mania

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
ESPN has had several post draft shows, about three quarters of the time in all shows they discussed Reggie Bush.

He has now become an unstoppable force. He will revolutionize New Orleans.

Last night Salisbury said DCs in the NFC South were lieing awake at night trying to think of a way to try to stop Reggie Bush.

Evidently no NFL team can beat a team featuring Reggie Bush. Even if that team is the New Orleans Saints.

What?

Perhaps NFL South DCs could watch the Championship Game again.

They would see a team featuring Reggie Bush losing. And losing to a team whose defense is great, but cannot match that of Carolina, Tampa Bay or even the Falcons.

Yeah, Reggie Bush is great. Yeah, he is a difference maker. He can make teh same difference to the Saints that Barry Sanders made to the Lions. Even Walter Payton didn't make the difference for the Bears. When they won the SB, it wasn't because of the Bears "46" running game.

Enough with the hype. A little common sense would be appreciated.

Unimaginable what we would be barraged with if he fell to the Jets.

Yes I am, but doesn't that belong on the political forum?

dryheat44 said:
Yes I am, but doesn't that belong on the political forum?
At first I thought this was another Parking Lot thread. :eek:

T-ShirtDynasty said:
At first I thought this was another Parking Lot thread. :eek:

:rofl: !!!!!!!!!

I was sick of the Bush hype before he was even drafted. The guy is going to be a colossal bust and I'm not talking about Dolly Parton.

I do like Bush as a player but this combo package of Barry Sanders and Gale Sayers talk is getting ridiculous.

looks that way

huskeralk said:
I was sick of the Bush hype before he was even drafted. The guy is going to be a colossal bust and I'm not talking about Dolly Parton.
there's a bad moon risin', and i'm not talkin' 'bout dolly either.
question; can reggie stand up to the hitting in the nfl?
answer: no.
dancing in the hole, fumble-itis, a concussion, topped of by an ugly injury before his rookie season ends.
i'll hate to see it happen, but 'not for long' quickly comes into play.

Not me..... Reggie Bush is the real deal and I wish we had him..... I'm sure Maroney, barring injury, will be a very, very good back but the hype around Bush is deserved and I don't mind it one bit......

Well its the same type of hype that surrounded Lebron James before he went #1 overall to the Cavs.

The media loves writing about STARS, that's all there is to it. They like selling their papers, and ad space and whatnot.

Doesn't mean that Bush doesn't deserve the hype. He probably does. But it's going to be very tough to live up to the hype.

New Orleans is a city that needs some hope, and Bush will give it to that franchise. Whether Bush is enough to turn it around... I'm skeptical but I'm willing to watch.

There's bust potential with every pick. I remember when Keyshawn Johnson came out and he was picked #1 overall. People predicted he'd be one of the all time greats at WR... To me his career has been mediocre at best compared to the expectations. Yes Meshawn has been a solid pro but hardly a 'gamebreaker' or top 3 or even top 5 WR in the league.

So as to Bush I will take a wait and see attitude. Maybe being drafted at #2 saves him from the #1 overall curse. But he IS stuck with the Saints so we'll just have to see about that.

count me in.

phenomenal college back, no argument there. anyone who says they wouldn't want him in their backfield is lying...but apparently the jump to the NFL affects everyone except those who went to USC.

If he still resembles Sayers in the pros, I'll bow down to him.

as for Leinart, I don't want to hear peep about his protection problems when the fans force Denny to remove ol'grayhair around week 8 -- when you can dump the ball off to a back like Edge and the best 2-man receiver tandem going, there are no excuses.

Last edited:
Feep_FLA said:
Not me..... Reggie Bush is the real deal and I wish we had him..... I'm sure Maroney, barring injury, will be a very, very good back but the hype around Bush is deserved and I don't mind it one bit......
If he is the difference maker and is unstoppable, why didn't they win the championship? Is the Texas D that much better than NFL defenses?

If the Saints win the superbowl, I'll tip my cap to him. But they sucked with Ricky Williams and they sucked with Duece. I don't see that Reggie will make them a contender.

I think replacing Brooks with Brees will have a bigger impact than using Reggie instead of Duece.

It will be interesting to see how much they improve. At least they will have home games this year.

It's likely that Bush will not anywhere near live up to the hype. With all of the rosy-glasses adulation, folks seem to completely overlook the fact that this guy is on the light side. He's 5-11 and 200#. At that weight, the only top back similar is Tiki Barber. So if Bush is as tough as Barber and has as good on OL, then maybe he can perform at a top level. Significant buts. Even if he is willing to put the effort into becoming a work-out adherent, that probably only gets him into the 210# range. That puts him into the class of James and Portis. That is certainly not bad company if he can produce at that level. But James and Portis are 4.2/4.3 yds avg backs, not 5+ like Alexander and Larry Johnson. And James and Portis are half the TDs of Alexander/Johnson. And James and Portis are 1/3 the 20+ yd runs of Alexander/Johnson. And James, at least, has been the beneficiary of the running game being set up by Manning's passing game - Bush is not likely to have that benefit in New Orleans.

There are some issues about Bush's willingness or capability to pass block - that aspect of his game in college was poor. In the NFL, this is not trivial. He must become an effective pass blocker or the Saint's offense is in real trouble - defenses will be able to both effectively pass rush and shut down his running.

So, bottom line, the odds are somewhat against Bush being one of the top 10 backs in the league. If he doesn't gain the 10# or so and doesn't significantly improve his pass blocking, he might actually end up being a change of pace back like a Kevin Faulk. That would be a lot of money for that type of contribution - and certainly not what all of the Kool-Aid drinkers are expecting. And with all of the over-hyped backs drafted in the top of the first round who have been busts at the NFL level, the aspects of Bush's college running might well even drop him into this category.

the taildragger said:
count me in.

phenomenal college back, no argument there. anyone who says they wouldn't want him in their backfield is lying...but apparently the jump to the NFL affects everyone except those who went to USC.

If he still resembles Sayers in the pros, I'll bow down to him.

as for Leinart, I don't want to hear peep about his protection problems when the fans force Denny to remove ol'grayhair around week 8 -- when you can dump the ball off to a back like Edge and the best 2-man receiver tandem going, there are no excuses.

I wouldn't want him in the Patriots' backfield. I don't think he's going to be anything more than an average pro. You take a look at his highlight reel of runs in college, and you see a bunch of plays that would never, ever happen in the NFL. That run against Fresno St. that gets so much play? In the NFL, he probably won't get off the line of scrimmage trying that, as the defensive end will get a chip on him at the very least at the line, if a penetrating defensive tackle doesn't force him to change direction, and the cutback on the sideline will result in him being tackled by the faster NFL defenders, not being overrun and gliding in while running against the grain. If the Saints put together a good offensive line that can get him into the secondary frequently, he could make some real noise, but all the dancing behind the line he does will NEVER play in the NFL.

I'm sure Bush will be a very good NFL player, probably a star, and has a chance to be All-Pro. That said, I am not only sick of the ESPN hype about Bush, I am sick of the ESPN hype machine, period. They fixate on one or two notable individuals almost to the exlusion of all else. TO and Donovan. TO and the Cowboys. Bush and Leinart. Leinart and Vince. Bush. Bush. Bush. The Texans and who they will draft.

ESPN: THERE ARE 32 NFL TEAMS AND 1,696 PLAYERS WHO WILL MAKE NFL ROSTERS. THERE WERE WELL OVER 200 PLAYERS DRAFTED. MAYBE YOU COULD SPEND A LITTLE MORE TIME ON SOME OF THEM, INSTEAD OF SPENDING 50% OF YOUR AIR TIME ON THE WORST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE AND WHICH ONE OR TWO PLAYERS MIGHT MAKE THEM INSTANTENEOUS CONTENDERS? HAVE YOU LEARNED NOTHING FROM THE PAST FIVE YEARS? SUPER BOWLS ARE WON BY TEAMS, NOT BY SUPER STAR INDIVIDUALS. IF THEY WERE, PEYTON MANNING MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A RING BY NOW, AND DANNY MARINO AND JIM KELLY MIGHT HAVE AT LEAST ONE BETWEEN THEM.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
Anyone else gettng tired of Bush

Yes. I've been tired of one for awhile now, and the other since the 2005 college football season. :)

Seymour93 said:
Yes. I've been tired of one for awhile now, and the other since the 2005 college football season. :)

Try living here in New Orleans ... The talk on local sports radio (by the callers) is almost "Superbowl bound!" ... Personally, I think their 6th round pick (Mike Haas) is going to be better value for money in the long run ...

arrellbee said:
It's likely that Bush will not anywhere near live up to the hype.

* The hype has made that just about impossible. I've heard a coupla times that he's the "Micheal Jordan" of the NFL and how Houston not drafting him is like how Portland drafted Bowie instead of Jordan. Or whoever it was. He seems like a nice enough kid so I don't wish anything bad happen to him. But, it would be kinda nice to see him be a dud to take all the experts down a few pegs. Although I doubt it would change anything.

Did you see Bush's face when he came out on stage? He was not happy.

Not being #1 pick hurt, but then NO takes him.

Not only does he have to contend with the hype but his own personal
disappointments. I hope he rises above it all and has a great carrier in the NFL.

Starting your pro carreer with 2 strikes is a heavy load to bare.

G/L Bush, you'll need it.?

PS: I've done some reading and NO and the owner are, well questionable to say the least. Can you say money grubbing so and so's.? Winning, to them, is secondary imo.

And even if he were to become an All-Pro running back, didn't some team show exactly what you should do if your opponents are trying to run their offense through the RB? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing