Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone Else Getting Viruses from this Website?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 1, 2012.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +375 / 3 / -15

I have gotten a couple of virus(es) from this website as per one of my IT guys at work.

Anyone else have any similar experiences? One was pretty tough to clean and was called Win32 something or else.

See below for 2 of them....

Attached Files:

2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've had similar experiences in the past from this website but not recently.
  3. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +81 / 1 / -1

Hard to tell for sure, but my guess is you have an outdated Adobe Flash plug-in that is allowing a vulnerability to malware attacks. Flash isn't used much if at all on this site, so I doubt you're getting it from here.

My suggestion is to either keep it religiously updated or switch to Google Chrome. Chrome has a built in, secure version of Adobe Flash that allows you to enjoy flash while keeping it isolated from your system to prevent these sorts of things. It also automatically updates so you don't have to go updating it yourself manually.

Flash is buggy, messy software that the web is too dependent on to drop. While you're at it, uninstall Java if you're not using it often - it has security holes that requires updates every week it seems.

If you're serious about security, install 'HTTPS everywhere' addon for Chrome (forces secure connections to all websites that support it), FlashBlocker (disables flash by default, and enables it on demand only when you need it by clicking on the placeholder it replaces the flash item with), and Adblock (not the plus edition). All can be found in Google's Chrome Extensions store for free and will do wonders for keeping your system healthy.

If you do install Adblock, I would kindly suggest you add an exception for PatsFans, as you're depriving Ian of ad support.

Let me know if you have any issues, I'm pretty evangelical about this stuff.

EDIT: Your image shows the Trojan residing in a folder called Adobe residing in an Apple Computer folder. Obviously a way to hide its identity, though a pretty poor attempt at the Trojan coder.

Doesn't mean Flash isn't the weakness in your system, but some other elements could be at play. All the more reason to tighten your system from further attacks as described above.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You have a mac?
  5. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

^ this ^

also, download some free anti-Malware software, and update and run it once or twice a week. ... Quarantine and delete all malicious files found.... do this before a small problem becomes a big problem, and your computer will last a lot longer.

i'd suggest Malwarebytes anti-Malware
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Perhaps it is some sort of divine intervention for those who work from home and instead of working, post on patsfans.com.

What goes around, comes around...
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,032 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Us paying members don't get the banner advertising ... ;););)
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

Good Post Doc........
  9. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +166 / 0 / -1

True, but at the same time that is where the viruses are coming from. To stop it just don't give the advertiser permission to rotate ads, have all of them tested before allowing.

P.S. hiJackthis is great for those lame browser helper object bugs :)