Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone else feel weird about trying to get excited for football today?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Sep 11, 2011.

1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

This is a tough day for me personally in terms of emotion and I am sure there are millions of football fans who feel the same way.

The first Sunday of football usually is the happiest time for a football fan....this year however has happiness mixed with Sadness

Sadness and a rememberance for the Men and Women who lost their lives on that fateful day 10 years ago today in the 9/11 Attacks

A Heavy heart remains for the Victims in the planes and towers and the brave Firemen and Police that gave their lives trying to save others.

Even while enjoying today's games,Please keep prayers in your heart for all the innocent Men,Women and Children who lost their lives that horrible day and another prayer and best wishes for those families that even 10 years later still find it hard to cope with the death of their loved ones.

God Bless America ......and let the games begin.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Simkin

Simkin Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: 2 Eyes on Sunday's games + 1 Heavy Heart

Great read. Hopoe everyone is well whereeer they are, this never happens again to anybody and everybody can be happy and without trouble

3. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,449 / 22 / -15

Disable Jersey

9/11 caused the NFL to have no games for a week. The next week the post 9/11 games were emotional events. I was @ that game, Pats-Jets with Adruzzi bros and jets flying overhead. That was the franchise pivotal game where Testaverde avoided a Pats fumble recovery via the not then infamous Tuck Rule and where Mo Lewis entered the Pats HOF. After the Pats lost a close one to the Jets, I went home feeling "another season down the drain". Never been more wrong.

4. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It's such a contrast. Something so horrible as 9/11 and something that brings me so much joy as Football. I'm so glad the Pats aren't playing today. Normally I hate the Pats being on MNF (Cuz I'm an hour ahead of Eastern so it starts super late for me) but this time around I'm glad.

I think this is yet another example of stupidity on the part of the Goodell regime.

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +759 / 1 / -5

No Jersey Selected

I understand exactly what you're saying. It's a deeply emotional day for all of us. Ten years - hard to fathom. I felt very emtional watching the ceremonies this morning, and even found myself pulled into a news archive site that showed how it all unfounded that day. I got so choked up I couldn't speak.

At the same time, I think it's possible to honor the memory of that day while still showing that, despite what those SOBs did, America goes on. Football is our game now and it's only right that it will go on. I am confident the league and teams will give the day it's due. I also think the fans who are able to gather at stadiums on this day will feel a tremendous sense of community, a shared remembering that helps the healing. I'm a believer that when we stop living our lives - interrupt out traditions, become afraid to travel, etc. - "they" win. Football on a Sunday is a very American thing, so, play ball. My two cents.

6. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

¤*¨¨*¤.¸¸ ...¸.¤\
    \ 9/11 AMERICA \
    .\¸.¤*¨¨*¤ .¸¸.¸.¤*
    ..\
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ NEVER FORGET!!! Keep the flag going!!! Pass it on!

7. NovaScotiaPatsFan

NovaScotiaPatsFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I have no problem with it "going on" but start it last week, not today.

8. letekro

letekro In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +98 / 17 / -12

I didn't find it weird to get excited about football in 2001, and I sure don't feel weird about it 10 years later.

9. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

I went to the opening game where the Pats lost to Cincy - Bledsoe played so-so and could not put together a drive at the end to win. Little did I know the next 2 days would change the course of the world and 2 weeks later Mo Lewis would rewrite Patriots history.

If you are a believer in destiny, right time/place, etc, then look at this way:
    If 9/11 does not happen and the Pats-Jets happens as planned on 9/16 and NOT 9/23 then maybe Drew was not destined to be crushed by Mo Lewis. Maybe we don't discover Tom Brady until it is too late. Who knows...

10. farn

farn 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +92 / 2 / -4

Completely agree. What better way to show that people can overcome ? By going about the very little things that make us happy ?

11. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Football is a GAME....

9/11 was a LIFE & DEATH event for thousands...

Many lives were affected and changed forever....

Today is for those that lost their lives on 9/11 and for the heroes that day and ever since ( both in public service and the military) who saved many more.....

Football will be enjoyed by many but for me today weighs heavy on my heart...

Never Forget.....

and GOD BLESS AMERICA

12. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +101 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

The events of September 11th, 2001 had a major impact on the entire world, but I cannot even fathom the feelings and emotions this day must have on America. I know not being American I will never fully understand the impact that day had on your country, but I have to admit I started to tear up watching Steve Mariucci and Rich Eisen break down while talking about the first game back in New York between the Jets and 49ers. I think today will just go to show the power of sport in being able to bring people together, regardless of culture, religion or beliefs. Just like the weeks and months after that tragic day, where football helped heal a nation, I think it will play an important part in honoring those who lost their lives. The entire world will be thinking about you on this day. God Bless.

13. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +759 / 1 / -5

No Jersey Selected

That moment with Marriucci on NFLN was really something.

14. TheComeback

TheComeback 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I live 20 minutes from the Pentagon. My dad worked there at the time, but was outside the building when the plane hit. I knew other people who lost someone on that day.

I don't have a problem getting pumped up for football. We are now 10 years removed from the attacks. The people who died would not want us to still be moping around. It's been time to move on for many years now.

Just go enjoy football.

15. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,128 / 4 / -29

#12 Jersey

Agreed, it was extraordinarily moving. My sense is that football is one of the things that allow us an escape from all types of horrific realities of life, including that awful day ten years ago. While I will be mildly pre-occupied today with thoughts of 9/11/01, I'll richly enjoy today's games.

16. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,426 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

Never Forget.

But we're still standing and screw the terrorists.

Don't give THEM the forfeit victory. That is what they wanted. They knew they could never strategically harm the US. Their only goal was for the country to have a national nervous breakdown.

Remember, pay respects, give our love to those who perished and those they left behind (and help to take care of them, dammit).

The worst thing we could do to the terrorists is to go on despite their wishes and not let THEM change us.

And then cheer for the teams FULLY and LOUDLY.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  17. Halifax Patsfan

Halifax Patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

10 years ago I had just gone to my first university class in my last year and was coming home for a break before I went back to my second class and I walked down the street just before I turned onto my short connector street it was a calm beautiful day here in Halifax, Nova Scotia and I had no idea what had happened just moments earlier until I went past my freinds girlfreinds place and her younger sister walked out onto her porch with a stunned look on her face and on the verge of tears. I asked her what was wrong but she ushered me in to see what was happening on the news and I knew then as I know not, that the world had changed.

It was almost destiny that the Pats were fated to win the Super Bowl that year- me and my best freind had tears in our eyes when Vinatieri kicked that field goal 4 and a half months later.

It doesnt feel weird that football starts in earnest today, it just feels weird that ten years ago bunch of nutjobs crashed planes into buildings with innocent people in them.

In the ten years since then my best freind and his girlfreind are still together, in fact they got married and have a 7 year old daughter who wears her #12 Brady jersey with pride as well as 2 2 year old twin boys who watch when they aren't raising heck elsewhere lol. I married the girl who came out onto her porch trying to comprehend what she had just seen at that moment and we have a 2 year old daughter who is wearing a #54 Bruschi jersey as well a month old son whom I plan on making into a huge Patriots fan.... as long as he doesn't become a Jets fan everything is all good.

Football 2011.... BRING IT ON!!!!!

18. Sivy

Sivy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I dont feel wierd at all..being sad does not change what happened on 9/11.

what does make me feel strange is how fast time goes by. 10 years? Wow.

19. jcdavey

jcdavey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

not at all

if you don't get excited , you're letting those ****ers hold power over you

live ****** life bro!

20. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Every 9/11 has had an affect on me, I, like so many others were touched on a personal level with the loss of a friend. I am amazed of how many people I know or have met that knew someone or had a family member lost. It was a surreal day to say the least. I spent my mornng on a calm lake today with my son fishing and had more than one episode of emotion on how blessed we are, still, in this country. I am so looking forward to football today. My heart may be heavy today but my spirit is light. Have a great day all!