PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone else disappointed with the Globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruschiOnTap

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
It seems like every time there's big news concerning the Pats, the Globe's beat staff are behind the curve. It was bad enough when Reiss was there, but he made up for it with his excellent game breakdowns and overall understanding of the game. Where was the Globe on the Moss trade? Where were they on the Deion Branch/V-Jax rumors? The Extra Points blog has been COMPLETELY silent on this stuff. Instead we got puff pieces about Brian Hoyer and Vince Wilfork -- "Hey everyone, look how these rich guys live at home!"

I go to the Globe as an alternative to ESPN but I'm running out of excuses now... Is there any redemption to be found on their regular sports page?

Anyone Else Disappointed With the Globe?

are you kidding ? i wouldn't line my birdcage with that or the herald.

I used to be disappointed with the Globe, but now I don't read it, and find myself not complaining about it anymore.

Sports would be the one area in which I would think a local paper like the Globe would be able to remain relevant, but as much as I hate to admit it I find myself increasingly looking at the ESPN coverage first.

It doesn't help that the Globe's worst coverage is of the Pats. I still like Ryan most of the time and overall think the Celtics, Sox, and Bruins coverage is decent. The void after Reiss has been huge.

Breer did leave and Greg Bedard, his replacement, hasn't started yet.

Bedard is supposed to be very good, based on comments made by Packers fans after it was announced he was leaving the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel for the Globe. Hopefully, they don't ruin him.

I read he will cover the Packers/Vikings game on 10/24 and is supposed to start at the Globe the next day.

Last edited:
The days of newspapers breaking stories are over. Too many many media outlets that can get the news out right away for that to happen anymore.

Breer did leave and Greg Bedard, his replacement, hasn't started yet. ....

But isn't he/wasn't Breer the NFL guy, not the Pats? They still have an army covering the Patriots, more or less.

fillylabinga: Sports would be the one area in which I would think a local paper like the Globe would be able to remain relevant, but as much as I hate to admit it I find myself increasingly looking at the ESPN coverage first.

But they do have a web presence and they don't use it with the same vigor as even the Herald. Their whole Patriots coverage (Globe's) is lackluster; for a paper that prides itself on being "smart" they don't seem to have an energetic approach to using Twitter and blogs to complement their traditional storytelling. They seem to be busy pushing some silly blog about Sports gossip, where they led the Casserly story with "File this one into the "juicy-details-we hope-are-true" folder." (No, I won't give a link)

Rapoport continues to be on top of things; he really drove the Branch stuff last night. I don't know; maybe his union allows him to pursue his job more enthusiastically or something.

Hopefully, Bedard lights a spark.

The days of newspapers breaking stories are over. Too many many media outlets that can get the news out right away for that to happen anymore.

Almost every newspaper has a website. Technology is not the issue.

It seems like every time there's big news concerning the Pats, the Globe's beat staff are behind the curve. It was bad enough when Reiss was there, but he made up for it with his excellent game breakdowns and overall understanding of the game. Where was the Globe on the Moss trade? Where were they on the Deion Branch/V-Jax rumors? The Extra Points blog has been COMPLETELY silent on this stuff. Instead we got puff pieces about Brian Hoyer and Vince Wilfork -- "Hey everyone, look how these rich guys live at home!"

I go to the Globe as an alternative to ESPN but I'm running out of excuses now... Is there any redemption to be found on their regular sports page?

i really enjoy them sucking. i hope someday [fingers crossed] that they go belly up. disappointed? hardly. happy is more like it.

Last edited:
The Globe is dead. Only those folks wanting to be shielded from all the world view challenging happenings that the Globe ownership NY Times doesn't want people to know about still buy it.

But don't worry. The Globe is moving to a model that you will not be able to read other than headlines on line with a paid internet subscriber model. You know, the same pay to read model that the NY Times tried several years ago and abandoned. Go figure.

I'm not really disappointed with the Globe because I seldom even go to Boston.com anymore. It's really an afterthought for me; I get my information on the Pats here, then espnBoston, weei.com, nesn.com and the Herald. For me the Globe has gone in just a few short years from being my primary and almost sole source of information on the Pats to one that I rarely bother to visit. It's really too bad because it wasn't all that long ago that they had the best sports section in the entire country, in my opinion.

I'm not really disappointed with the Globe because I seldom even go to Boston.com anymore. It's really an afterthought for me; I get my information on the Pats here, then espnBoston, weei.com, nesn.com and the Herald. For me the Globe has gone in just a few short years from being my primary and almost sole source of information on the Pats to one that I rarely bother to visit. It's really too bad because it wasn't all that long ago that they had the best sports section in the entire country, in my opinion.

This.

It was probably around 2005-2006 that I stopped going to boston.com for Pats info. But there was definitely a time when it was a good source. They're pretty irrelevant to me now.

The Globe is dead. Only those folks wanting to be shielded from all the world view challenging happenings that the Globe ownership NY Times doesn't want people to know about still buy it.

But don't worry. The Globe is moving to a model that you will not be able to read other than headlines on line with a paid internet subscriber model. You know, the same pay to read model that the NY Times tried several years ago and abandoned. Go figure.

Agreed. I am more and more convinced that the NYT is using the Globe as a loss-leader and tax write-off. It's tried to sell it a couple times. The problem with the Globe is that it has become the NYT lite, with the same condescending, preachy, holier-than-thou attitude. It also treats it's website as an after thought, only using it to try and get folks to buy the print edition.

The future for newspapers and magazine is the online edition, with people able to subscribe to print out articles and coupons, etc. Papers like the Globe and NYT are dinosaurs that just haven't seen the coming destruction of their old way of doing things.

I haven't visited their site for at least 3 years now, and have no reason to. I get my Pats news from here, from the team site, and FOX/SI websites, plus the NFL site.

Where were they on the Deion Branch/V-Jax rumors? The Extra Points blog has been COMPLETELY silent on this stuff. Instead we got puff pieces about Brian Hoyer and Vince Wilfork -- "Hey everyone, look how these rich guys live at home!

I'm not a huge fan of the globe, but I'd rather have them not reporting rumors.

Last edited by a moderator:
. Where was the Globe on the Moss trade? Where were they on the Deion Branch/V-Jax rumors? The Extra Points blog has been COMPLETELY silent on this stuff. Instead we got puff pieces about Brian Hoyer and Vince Wilfork -- "Hey everyone, look how these rich guys live at home!"

I am not sure how much more you expected but here are the extra point posts about the Moss trade rumors

Report: Patriots talking Moss trade with Vikings - Extra Points - Boston.com

Now Branch
Trade for Deion Branch possible - Extra Points - Boston.com

And VJax was never going to happen, why post rumors that no one was going to run with at all.

I am not sure how much more you expected but here are the extra point posts about the Moss trade rumors

Now Branch

And VJax was never going to happen, why post rumors that no one was going to run with at all.
All they do is repeat stories that are already broken. They are last to the party on everything. It really is almost like they aren't trying. That blog is awful.

Now Branch

Timing is everything. That Moss article was a rehash of what others had reported. I very much remember the night that story broke; several other media sites had at least something on it first. I even posted here saying basically, "isn't it weird there's this big developing Boston Sports story and no one here is citing the Globe, for anything?"

On Branch, again, the reports were rampant by the time of that story you mention. And Rapoport was all over "something is happening tonight" early last night. He had sources, got info, and reported it -- and was right.

The Globe is reporting stuff, eventually. But they also seem to be doing a lot of following, not leading.

(By the way, can you imagine an editor telling Will McDonough he had to do Twitter? "You want me to what? 'Tweet'?? What the f*&% is that. 'Tweet'....")

The problem with the Globe is that it has become the NYT lite, with the same condescending, preachy, holier-than-thou attitude.

I'm interested in seeing an example of the Globe's "condescending, preachy, holier-than-thou attitude," or the NYT's for that matter. (Outside the op-ed pages, of course, which are preachy by definition.)

If all you have is a lame argumentum ad populum about how everybody knows it's true, feel free to not bother posting it.

The Globe is on its last legs. They don't have the manpower to do much real reporting in any arena, not just sports. They're trying to run both the paper and website with a skeleton crew, and it's showing in their product.

The other problem is that all NFL franchises -- especially successful ones like the Pats -- see themselves as having broader appeal beyond their region, and thus are more interested in working with the national reporters. Coupled with the local papers' being generally slow to build up their web presence, they're being gradually edged out of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back