PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Concerned about Wilfork's Weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Before anyone jumps down my throat, let me be the first to say that Wilfork is playing great this season IMO. However, when I see his ultra wide body lined up at DE, I can't help but think he's on borrowed time in terms of being as athletic as he is as heavy as he is. To me, he looks as heavy as he's ever been. I'm going by the eyeball test - if I am misinformed about his playing weight, please enlighten me.

I think if the Pats want to continue to use him at DE, he's going to have to lose some weight starting next season. If he continues at his current weight or god forbid gains more weight, I'm afraid that he'll soon just be a Ted Washington-type 2 down NT.

Last edited:
Before anyone jumps down my throat, let me be the first to say that Wilfork is playing great this season IMO. However, when I see his ultra wide body lined up at DE, I can't help but think he's on borrowed time in terms of being as athletic as he is as heavy as he is. To me, he looks as heavy as he's ever been. I'm going by the eyeball test - if I am misinformed about his playing weight, please enlighten me.

I think if the Pats want to continue to use him at DE, he's going to have to lose some weight starting next season. If he continues at his current weight or god forbid gains more weight, I'm afraid that he'll soon just be a Ted Washington-type 2 down NT.
Yeah i am, and have been. Not only for health reasons but it just stands to reason that if he is going to play end he would be quicker. He May carry extra wgt. for playing NT, he'd harder to move.

I'm afraid that he'll soon just be a Ted Washington-type 2 down NT.

That's what he's supposed to be. He's playing end too.:confused:

If he's going to be a full time end, I'd like him to grow 3-4 inches. Then he wouldn't need to lose weight, that's a win, win.

Last edited:
As far as Wilfork the person, I hope he can lose the weight when he is done playing.

As far as Wilfork the player, as long as it doesn't affect his playing ability, he can get as big as he wants.

As far as Wilfork the person, I hope he can lose the weight when he is done playing.

As far as Wilfork the player, as long as it doesn't affect his playing ability, he can get as big as he wants.
Not if his gut hits the ground, and its getting close.

Wilfork still only plays in the base for the most part. That means he is primarily playing the run. That means he isn't moving up field as much as he would on passing downs. A lot times he is still just holding the point of attack and reading and reacting. I don't know if he is putting much more wear and tear on his body than as he was when he was playing NT.

what's his estimated current weight? 370?

Best NT in the league. The weight may be a concern with regards to his future health, but it's not affecting his play. He's a frigging beast.

Remember Ted Washington? Take a look around the league. Ever see a top notch sumo?

Please. I'd say he's 360. It's his profession.

I will only be concerned if he starts looking at little Danny Woodhead like he is a 4-lb sirloin during overtime games to address any calorie deficits when his dinner is delayed.:)

I will only be concerned if he starts looking at little Danny Woodhead like he is a 4-lb sirloin during overtime games to address any calorie deficits when his dinner is delayed.:)

Good one !!!

Wilfork still only plays in the base for the most part. That means he is primarily playing the run. That means he isn't moving up field as much as he would on passing downs. A lot times he is still just holding the point of attack and reading and reacting. I don't know if he is putting much more wear and tear on his body than as he was when he was playing NT.

Wilfork is a top notch defensive lineman because, not only is he stout at the point of attack, he gets up field quickly and pursues laterally as good as any interior lineman in the league. When I watch him play, I can't help but think that his massive gut is putting tremendous strain on his knees, ankles, back etc. Maybe he's a freak of nature, but tell me any player that you know that has been able to maintain athleticism with that much belly fat as they age. Right now Wilfork reminds me of William Perry in his prime. I fear in a year or two he'll be Ted Washington - immovable on the nose, but terrible in pursuit.

I care about him getting too big because I worry about the strain on his heart.

Even if he drops weight after his playing days are over, the damage to his heart is still going to be done.

Wilfork's listed at 325? Was he weighed on the moon?

Remember Ted Washington? Take a look around the league. Ever see a top notch sumo?

Please. I'd say he's 360. It's his profession.

The NFL has morphed into a passing league. Ted Washington was fantastic during the Pats SB era in stopping the run, but today defensive lines not only need to stop the run, they need to put pressure on the qb and move quickly in space.

I know he can play cornerback, but I doubt he can drop enough weight in time to help us this year.

Wilfork is a top notch defensive lineman because, not only is he stout at the point of attack, he gets up field quickly and pursues laterally as good as any interior lineman in the league. When I watch him play, I can't help but think that his massive gut is putting tremendous strain on his knees, ankles, back etc. Maybe he's a freak of nature, but tell me any player that you know that has been able to maintain athleticism with that much belly fat as they age. Right now Wilfork reminds me of William Perry in his prime. I fear in a year or two he'll be Ted Washington - immovable on the nose, but terrible in pursuit.

Gilbert Brown comes to mind.

Im not concern about his weight at all, he is as dominant as ever and im really glad they gave him the contract extension he deserved long ago!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots