Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone Buying a New Car

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gunnails, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Gunnails

Gunnails In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

My Buddy is getting one of these, has it on order, only his will be all electric.

$42,000.00, A lot of money but I guess that's the price of going green and not paying money to the oil companies.

[​IMG]
    By gunnails at 2008-07-20

What do you guys think?

This car gets 120 miles on a full charge and will do 75 mph. At $4 per gallon the break even point with the $12,000 version will be at about 100,000 miles.

This option is not for me at this time, at what point would you start driving an electric car.

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Probably when I can "refill" it in 5 minutes like a gas car or they improve the range to about 250 miles...oh, and the price drops to about $25,000

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 13 / -14

When doing the ROI calculation what is the estimate of the $$/charge??

4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I was wondering the same thing. Electrical costs will be increasing a lot. But maybe one little windmill is all this baby needs. Imagine a "refueling station" that has a giant windmill as it's energy source! Pretty cool!

In fact, why can't these cars have little "windmills" where the old radiator fans used to be and hooked up to an alternater to recharge it while you drive?

One thing we can be sure of is that there will be virtually no maintainance costs on these vehicles.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  5. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

====================================================

That's kinda of where I'm at also.

Seems like something like this could really become popular if they got the price down to,,, lets say $15,000. Even at $20,000 the local government's would snatch them up for fleet vehicles.

They would also be nice for the planet, no gas, no oil, no emissions, that has to count for something when figure the cost of ownage.

6. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

===============================================

Sorry I understand ROI but not the rest.

It's not my car, but it's all the guy will talk about, so I am just kinda repeating what I understood him to say.

Edit: OK I think what you wanted to know is how much does it cost to charge, he said 10 hours with a 110 volt hookup, should cost about $7 at the current electric cost.

7. Gunnails

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

=======================================================

That would be like creating a perpetual motion machine, which I thought was impossible. This car does come with regenerative breaks.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,017 / 42 / -31

#24 Jersey

I would love to get one ... but I need one that can go @300 miles to a charge and 75mph ... not good enough ... sometimes you need some power to move around on the highway. That being said I bought a 2007 Dodge Nitro last year figuring when it was 4-5 years old my next would be electric ... so in a few more years I'm sure more options will be out there ... hopefully in the mid-size SUV category.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Hopefully when those times arrive that you need more power than 75 mph...there are troopers watching you.;)

10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +49 / 16 / -3

By the time they improve this to the specs you are all talking about, they'll be a vastly superior technology. Electric, from what I understand is very limited in where they can improve it. Storing a bigger charge, for example would require a battery that would be worse for the environment than gas emmissions, and the same goes for improving the horsepower. Plus they aren't going to put any money in developing electric cars when there are more promising technologies (cellulose etc.) in the works.

11. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,463 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

A top speed of 75 mph is not fast enough. Does driving at peak speed deplete the charge quicker?

12. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,086 / 16 / -9

0-60 in 3.9 seconds
    220 mile range
    13000 rpm redline
    top speed 125 mph
    ~245 HP

http://www.teslamotors.com/
    http://www.teslamotors.com/performance/acceleration_and_torque.php

So not a bad top speed, though the real kick is the acceleration...

We can't afford it though.

By the way, the problem with putting a little windmill in front is that you get the power by creating drag. I'm no engineer, but my guess is you'll get the power to go forward in direct proportion to the need for power you've created, minus the friction of the moving parts. Seems like it's a no-brainer that it's more efficient not to do so.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

The big feature about it is you can park it anywhere in Boston, leave the windows open, leave the keys in it and there ain't a Gang Banger in town that would steal it.

Hope Boob Gore will buy one for Tipper.

:singing:

14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +788 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

With the potential changes in technology over the next few years I can't see buying right now. I had planned on replacing my car in about 2 years (10 years with a Dodge seems the upper limit of reasonable expectations for someone who does no car work himself) but as it's running well I'm hoping to keep in another 4-5 now instead and see where the car market has moved.

15. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I am in the market and holding out for as long as I can. I believe if a Dem is elected Pres. there will be a better chance of a tax credit for hybrids, etc. Right now, the Prius sells for about $27,000 and gets @50 mpg. I'm hoping for a little more diversity in the selections. Most companies have designs for fuel efficient cars, maybe a little incentive besides consumer demand will bring these cars to market.
    This vehicle posted is too expensive and not sure electric is the right option.

16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,152 / 5 / -10

Aircraft Carriers can go 20 years without refueling---:confused:

17. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If I were to consider an alternative in my case I think a hybrid would be a better choice.

Some concerns I would have with a electric vehicle.

How well does it operate at 0 degrees?

Does it work in the snow?

Does the charge depreciate while the vehicle is not in use and not plugged in?
    Can “Bob” the mechanic do work on it or do I have to return to the $$$Dealer$$ for repairs and maintenance?

What are the real world costs?
    If a person drives 60 miles a day to and from work this vehicle is going to have to be charged up nightly. Realistically this is going to be done overnight while sleeping. Five nights at $7 a pop runs into $35 a week. That's getting pretty close to the cost of gas for a vehicle that gets 30 MPG to accomplish the same goal not to mention the cost of the gas vehicle is about half the price.

18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

And a fill up only takes 10 minutes, as opposed to 10 hours, if the previous post is accurate. Yikes. Can that be correct? 10 hours to charge up?

19. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Another thing.

At one point does the government apply a tax to the electric this car uses to help fund highway maintenence as the gas tax does? What amount will that tax be?

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +918 / 7 / -3

The only info I can find on a Toyota Yaris electric vehicle, is about conversion kits. Did he buy this from Toyota, or is someone converting a Yaris to an all electric vehicle for him?