PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone been tuning into EEI's Salk and Holley instead of Felger and Mazz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salk is worse than Ordway for at least two reasons-

1) Ordway at least occasionally celebrated a sports accomplishment, like it was exciting to be a fan, to be close to the sport. Salk has a consistently negative, doubting, sarcastic, ironic drone which sounds like the only thing he's really concerned about is being right. It's driving me crazy. There's zero fun in Salk's presentation.

He could be arguing about hog futures and you'd hardly tell the difference.

2) Salk cuts in, interrupts, talks over, gainsays, steps on, disregards, and frequently ignores the words of a man sitting next to him in Mike Holley that possesses a world of talent he's trying to share with Salk; and the ding-a-ling is too insecure or stupid to accept and latch hold of Holley's gift. ARrghh, it's grating enough to listen to Salk as a separate entity, but it has become un-listenable to hear him prattle on and on while trying to bury Holley, the only guy who can save Salk from getting canned.

Ugh, I wonder how many years EEI gave Salk on his contract, we may have to endure a long stretch of his awfulness before either the station goes under or they swallow the big cash they gave him and put him on from 2-6am.

Ordway must listen to Salk's drive time drivel and snicker to himself everyday.

been listening to that time slot for decades...as much as Ordway would rankle me I still tuned in everyday....why?...because I identify with Ordway's roots in NE...this guy Salk just makes me feel like turning off the show completely...and this past week that's exactly what I have been doing....I'd rather listen to Cianci dissect RI politics or Fatcessa argue with the Greenbean trogs than listen to one more snotty, dismissive minute of this clown Salk....nice job, Wolfe...you have managed to dismantle the once vibrant EEI format into a bottom of the barrel dreckfest....only a matter of time before your NY masters from Clear Channel sell out to CMR Nashville and the whole sordid mess goes a boot scootin' bogeying into the ether.

been listening to that time slot for decades...as much as Ordway would rankle me I still tuned in everyday....why?...because I identify with Ordway's roots in NE...this guy Salk just makes me feel like turning off the show completely...and this past week that's exactly what I have been doing....I'd rather listen to Cianci dissect RI politics or Fatcessa argue with the Greenbean trogs than listen to one more snotty, dismissive minute of this clown Salk....nice job, Wolfe...you have managed to dismantle the once vibrant EEI format into a bottom of the barrel dreckfest....only a matter of time before your NY masters from Clear Channel sell out to CMR Nashville and the whole sordid mess goes a boot scootin' bogeying into the ether.

Don't blame Wolfe. Blame the idiots who complained about Ordway and The Big Show, and decided that 98.5 deserved their attention despite how Godawful everyone on that on that station, other than Zolak when he talks football, is as a sports radio host.

People wanted garbage radio. Now they're getting it on both stations.

Amazing, isn't it?...I mean,who is responsible for this change? Who is the genius who convinced everybody that Rock Chalk Mike Salk, the walking talking loaf of Bunny bread, was the one to replace El Gordoway? I could listen to Ordway, vehemently disagree with his stance, scream at the radio "you moron!!!!", and look forward to the next day's show. This guy Salk...it's like...it's not a matter of agree or disagree...it's....I just can't stand the guy...his attitude, his voice, the way he never lets anybody finish what they're saying, especially Holley..and his seeming ignorance to the market he's working in....I listened to his remarks about the whines on the Whiner Line...he doesn't get it...he really does not understand it ..the humor..the characters...none of it.

Somebody thought Amy Lawrence would be a huge hit back when the SCORE was on air....I thought that lead dirigible could never be topped but THIS???...this is the friggin' Hindenburg of sports talk radio in N.E.

The Big Show was at it's best when it truly was the Big Show and there were guest hosts everyday. Then they cut back on that round table show and there was a single guest host like Fred or Max ... but still not bad. Then it was straight Ordway and Holley but Mike made it worth it and anything was better than douchebag Felger and MazzHole.

But Salk ... forget it ... I tune out now ... like finger nails on a blackboard listening to that pompous douche.

WEEI could save themselves by making it the Holley show with a guest or two everyday ... people would tune in to that as long as Steve was never a guest.

Last edited:
The person who should be shopping at the Dollar store next week because they just got canned is the 'genius' who estimated Salk to be an upgrade on Ordway. Salk is so deficient, so lacking in pleasing personality, so crude of manner, that anyone who valued him as a real talent needs to be shipped to Amarillo on the next bus lest WEEI disappear just as Joker has forseen. What a catastrophe...having to fire a guy you just brought in to be the star. (The fact that it's called Salk and Holley is a graphic example of the miscalculation by 'management'.)

I shouldn't get my hopes up, the embarrassment - the alone the $$$ - factor in running Salk out of town so soon will be just to high for anyone at WEEI to swallow. I hope Holley is patient and waits for Salk to be canned because I wouldn't blame Holley if he decided he wasn't going to put up with one more minute of Salk's abuse.

Haven't jumped into this because I am a bit tired of the whole WEEI vs. 98.5 discussion and haven't listened to Salk to form an opinion either way.

I hated Ordway and his style of radio. Salk seems to be a worse version of Ordway. Probably won't listen to him either. With a few exceptions, Boston sports radio has sucked for like a decade before Salk got here. I don't know how he will make a much of difference either way.

WEEI desperately needed a change from their archaic format, but they seem to change one bad format with an even worse. I can't wait to see who they replace Dennis and Callahan with when they get out from under their ridiculous contract. Considering how low D&C set the bar on entertainment quality, they might just hire Jim Rome and Skip Bayliss to do a morning show together.

The Big Show was at it's best when it truly was the Big Show and there were guest hosts everyday. Then they cut back on that round table show and there was a single guest host like Fred or Max ... but still not bad. Then it was straight Ordway and Holley but Mike made it worth it and anything was better than douchebag Felger and MazzHole.

But Salk ... forget it ... I tune out now ... like finger nails on a blackboard listening to that pompous douche.

WEEI could save themselves by making it the Holley show with a guest or two everyday ... people would tune in to that as long as Steve was never a guest.

I do agree the Big Show was better in a roundtable format especially since it minimized the time Ordway had to speak, but that format was incredibly flawed too and ended up being a lot of time four guys shouting over each other.

They really need to look at Sirius NFL radio for the way to go. All of their shows are two guys taking calls and talking real sports without the grab arse stuff and no one talking over each other.

Amazing, isn't it?...I mean,who is responsible for this change? Who is the genius who convinced everybody that Rock Chalk Mike Salk, the walking talking loaf of Bunny bread, was the one to replace El Gordoway? I could listen to Ordway, vehemently disagree with his stance, scream at the radio "you moron!!!!", and look forward to the next day's show. This guy Salk...it's like...it's not a matter of agree or disagree...it's....I just can't stand the guy...his attitude, his voice, the way he never lets anybody finish what they're saying, especially Holley..and his seeming ignorance to the market he's working in....I listened to his remarks about the whines on the Whiner Line...he doesn't get it...he really does not understand it ..the humor..the characters...none of it.

Somebody thought Amy Lawrence would be a huge hit back when the SCORE was on air....I thought that lead dirigible could never be topped but THIS???...this is the friggin' Hindenburg of sports talk radio in N.E.

I just experienced PTSD when i saw the SCORE and Amy Lawrence. Great pick-up!!

Giant Glass pulled their deal with WEEI due to Ordway is the news ... that is a huge kick in the gut.

Maybe no one else's cup of tea, but my favorite combination on EEI was the once a week meet up with Dale/Holley/Jackie McMullen. Intelligent discussion and even though there were 3 of them, none talked over each other. I can go to a sports bar if I wanna hear idiots trying to talk over each other.

Giant Glass pulled their deal with WEEI due to Ordway is the news ... that is a huge kick in the gut.

Giant Glass pulled out because they themselves were bought out by another glass company. Most likely a cost cutting move by the new company. Probably has more to do with that than WEEI ratings.

It

Pete Sheppard just quit on air this afternoon.

who's next?...Mike Adams?

I don't know what the ratings are but I suspect that they are tanking and good riddance. Now longer is it the Big Show...it is now the Small Show. All the excitement is gone. Greed and endless tinkering with the lineup by the management weasels at WEEI have finally and thoroughly destroyed what used to be a great show. The final straw was dumping Ordway. There is nothing left of what made the Big Show so much fun.

I have seen it before at a number of companies; the endless tinkering with org charts and hiring / firing as if men were just chess pieces and not real people. It always reminds me of this quote:

We trained hard . . . but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.

Petronius Arbiter, 210 B.C.​

Pete Sheppard just quit on air this afternoon.

who's next?...Mike Adams?

If there is a God, yes.

Granted that would definitely leave a huge void in the Boston sports media market for 70s Red Sox trivia talk.

The Peter Principle is a proposition that states that the members of an organization where promotion is based on achievement, success, and merit, will eventually be promoted beyond their level of ability. The principle is commonly phrased, "Employees tend to rise to their level of incompetence." In more formal parlance, the effect could be stated as: employees tend to be given more authority until they cannot continue to work competently

must be a room full of Peters working EEI today...

WEEI had a good thing going with Dale and Holley for the midday and The Big Show for then evening drive....but they got greedy. It was not enough. They wanted more and more and ever more profits and to hell with the careers of this sportcasters or the continuity of the listening audience....their greed had no limits but there are limits to what the listeners will put up with. I (for one) have had enough WEEI

I hope the folks from WEEI reading this thread note that almost no one has said they enjoy Salk. Our site and this thread may be a tiny sample but when among our usually bickering bunch there is nearly universal agreement on this subject you radio folks should be listening - to us.

WEEI had a good thing going with Dale and Holley for the midday and The Big Show for then evening drive....but they got greedy. It was not enough. They wanted more and more and ever more profits and to hell with the careers of this sportcasters or the continuity of the listening audience....their greed had no limits but there are limits to what the listeners will put up with. I (for one) have had enough WEEI

They broke up Dale and Holley because Holley's contract was up and they had to pay him drive time money to keep him away from 98.5. If they didn't, the afternoon drive show on 98.5 would be Felger and Holley. Dale Arnold with Holley is just another radio host that they throw on the weekends.

As for the Big Show format, the panel shows were already sinking in the ratings. Unfortunately what WEEI found out, was people liked the guests and not so much Ordway.

They broke up Dale and Holley because Holley's contract was up and they had to pay him drive time money to keep him away from 98.5. If they didn't, the afternoon drive show on 98.5 would be Felger and Holley. Dale Arnold with Holley is just another radio host that they throw on the weekends.

As for the Big Show format, the panel shows were already sinking in the ratings. Unfortunately what WEEI found out, was people liked the guests and not so much Ordway.

Ya god forbid they pay Holley the market rate. As far as the Big Show, the ratings may have been slipping but they panic'ed and now with all the thrashing around they are tanking. Good riddance WEEI; you blew it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes