PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone agree with Riess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have to say i disagree. We did give up some of the fewest points in the leauge so our LB's couldnt have been that bad, and now with the addition of Thomas i think LB's being at the top of his list is way off. I would have to put CB's at the top then WR'S then Safety, LB's, TE's, OL, DL, RB, then Punters/kickers.

Reiss' list was made before the Thomas signing.

I have a feeling the Patriots might draft Justin Harrell DT out of Tennessee.
He could rotate with Wilfork at NT. Harrell is 6'4" and weighs over 300lbs. Wright is an RFA next year, and doesn't really have the frame to play NT. Hill hasn't done anything at DT, and even though I like Le Kevin Smith none of us know how well his development is coming along. Harrell would have been a top 15-20 pick if not for his bicep injury in '06, so he kind of fits the good player who slips mold. A D-Line consisting of Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Harrel, Wright, and Smith would be great next year since Harrell would bring NE more flexibility when it comes to subs. Also, we have to start thinking about the future, and Harrelll could take over for Warren, or Wilfork if either of them doesn't resign when their contracts are up. By drafting Harrell now instead of waiting you could be developing their replacement now, if either leaves. If both stay you would then have a really, really solid starting rotation.

Last edited:
This list was before free agency: Since then, mine looks like this:

LB---ILB We should be ok on the outside now.
CB---Fs We're Good at SS, but weak at FS, still
WR---CB A deal to Asante and a FS from the draft fixes this (geno slides outside)
S----WR If Jackson comes back, its off the list
RB----OL(LT?) Our Pro Bowler needed a lot of help last year
P-----QB we haven't got a third yet, need a vet jag here
TE----P gotta sign one of em.
OL----RB One more rook for camp to replace Pass and challenge Faulk
DL----DL Depth

1/ LB
2/ CB
3/ WR
4/ S
5/ RB
6/ P
7/TE's
8/ OL
9/ DL

a big YES! I would like 2 rookie LB's

Interesting!

Some think that Reiss was spot on, and that we have met all the needs but a safety, which we wil meet with a Day One pick. Others think the list (made before any of the signings) is still the list, which means that while we have come a long way, we still have the same needs.

Interesting!

Some think that Reiss was spot on, and that we have met all the needs but a safety, which we wil meet with a Day One pick. Others think the list (made before any of the signings) is still the list, which means that while we have come a long way, we still have the same needs.

Good point, and it may be consistent with what many have been discussing in other threads: While draft choices are critical, a number of players will take time to develop into a contributing starter. Therefore, I would say the list is still the list. The team needs immediate contribution at a number of positions, particularly those that traditionally take longer in grooming a young player. Yet, the team absolutely needs those young players to immediately step into a very few positions and to develop depth at all positions.

We don't have the benefit of knowing how the Samuel negotiations are going. If they are going well, and a long term deal will get done, then yes, put ILB over CB. But, if they are not going well, the Pats will have no choice but to draft Samuel's replacement in the first round.

My first 3 need picks would be Safety, CB and then ILB. If Samuel signs, then make that Safety, ILB and WR. (if Stallworth doesn't sign)

We need more information if the point of this thread is to develop a draft pick order. Who will they sign in FA? Will they sign Samuel? Inquiring minds want to know.

We don't have the benefit of knowing how the Samuel negotiations are going. If they are going well, and a long term deal will get done, then yes, put ILB over CB. But, if they are not going well, the Pats will have no choice but to draft Samuel's replacement in the first round.

My first 3 need picks would be Safety, CB and then ILB. If Samuel signs, then make that Safety, ILB and WR. (if Stallworth doesn't sign)

We need more information if the point of this thread is to develop a draft pick order. Who will they sign in FA? Will they sign Samuel? Inquiring minds want to know.

Like Reiss none of us have that Inside inforamtion.

He listed the teams needs based on what he saw on the field.

Based on the signings so far I think he did well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes