PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone agree with Riess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen of BB & SP, they tend to fill needs in FA and take BPA in the draft. FA is for the next year and draft is for the future. The clearest immediate needs are at ILB and WR, and I think we'll see veteran acquisitions. In the draft they'll go for CB and also ILB since there's more than one open need at that position.

With Gaffney, Caldwell, Jackson and a vet FA, I don't see a high draft pick at WR.

There's enough depth at safety and two solid starters at CB that I don't see these as FA acquisitions, but something they'll fill in at the draft. The lack of depth at CB is made up for at safety (Scott & Wilson). The lack of stars (aside from an aging Rodney) at safety is made up for at CB. If your CBs can handle man coverage, you can atone for slower safeties.

Hey, what about QB?!? Ideally Cassel will be traded next offseason, so I'm anticipating that they draft a QB to take over the #2 slot next year.

Of all who cover the Patriots, I like Riess the best. His vision is 20/20 with no axes to grind (ok, enough cliches). I think his list of priorities is as good as any, with the following caveats:

1. Will Samuels &/or Graham re-sign?
2. Will Harrison, Wilson, Jones & Seau be able to contribute?
3. Will Jackson & Maroney step up?
4. Will Sanders, Wright, Thomas & other youngsters continue to improve?

There are many more intangibles. That's why I endorse the BB/SP policy drafting the best available player on the board, irrespective of position.
It's given us long term depth & success.

Mike Reiss has listed the following positions in order of (importance - need) for the Patriots going forward. Do you agree with him?

1/ LB
2/ CB
3/ WR
4/ S
5/ RB
6/ P
7/TE's
8/ OL
9/ DL

By writing this I know I should seek help, but I love to play pretend GM. Each year I create a spreadsheet that rates each player on a scale from 1-10. If anyone is very bored, demented or interested let me know and I will post the file.

Scale
10 - Hall of Fame
9 - Pro Bowl
8 - Very good
7 - Solid
6 - Average
5- Below average
4- Marginal
3 - Unproven
2 - Should not be in NFL
1 - not in NFL

The spreadsheet then computes a ranking of the starters and backups of each unit. Open roster spots are assigned a value of 0 and really cream the strength of any specific unit.

NOTES:
a) Before Samuel was franchised, CB was the number 1 concern with a ranking of 3.8. Under the assumption that he plays for the Pats in 07 the ranking jumps to 6.4
b) The TE rating is skewed, I had Graham as a starter, without him the ranking of the starters in hammered. Although the numbers say this is #3 a TE can be found easily so this unit should be behind Safety & OLine.
c) The numbers are just numbers and don't factor in external events such as depth of FA class at a position or depth available in the draft.

My analysis is below.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 101
I like the graph cstjohn, that looks like a real good way of analyzing the teams needs.

I think that Josh Miller is just fine -- yes, he got injured and we had to scratch around a bit, but so what? -- and I'd by happy to see the Patriots draft a developmental quarterback in the later rounds (I don't think that they should need a Vinny/Jim Miller/Doug Flutie if Matt Cassel is really coming on as we all hope so there is room for a young third quarterback). Otherwise, I'm with Reiss.

I'd almost rather keep Sauerbrun over Miller.

I'd put it at:

1. LB (preferably ILB, but Vrabel gives us flexibility)
2. WR
3. S
4. CB
5. RB
6. OL
7. DL
8. TE
9. P

The top 5 are the positions that actually concern me.

I put WR at #2 because I think the lack of a downfield receiving threat really killed the Patriots last year, to the point where it totally hobbled the offense at key times. Many weaknesses can be masked, but I think this one must be solved, and can only be done so through acquiring a quality veteran (via free agency or trade). It is possible Chad Jackson could fill this role next year, but this seems unlikely to me.

Safety is a big need. Eugene Wilson should not be relied on for anything, as he hasn't been a factor since 2004. Rodney Harrison is getting old and probably doesn't have a full season in him anymore (sorry to say). James Sanders still has promise and Artrell Hawkins is serviceable, but they could really use a quality starter to basically take over for Harrison (as best they can...those are big shoes to fill).

CB would obviously shoot up to #2, if not #1, were Samuel to leave or sit out. As it is right now, they certainly need depth.

At RB, I'd like to see a bigger back brought in, and/or a replacement for Kevin Faulk. We need somebody to provide a big play burst from that position.

Last edited:
Safety is a big need. Eugene Wilson should not be relied on for anything, as he hasn't been a factor since 2004. Rodney Harrison is getting old and probably doesn't have a full season in him anymore (sorry to say). James Sanders still has promise and Artrell Hawkins is serviceable, but they could really use a quality starter to basically take over for Harrison (as best they can...those are big shoes to fill).

Sanders will eventually replace Rodney (and will play a lot on passing downs next season). If they want to go for a S, they should go FS, IMO.

Sanders will eventually replace Rodney (and will play a lot on passing downs next season). If they want to go for a S, they should go FS, IMO.
You are right from a positional standpoint. However, what I think the Pats really lack at the position is a physical, big-hitting threat. Harrison used to fill that role as well as anybody could, but like I said, his body just can't take it any more (at least not on an every down basis). I haven't really seen Sanders play in that manner yet.

Wow, neither of you see a need at OLB? You're ok with Pierre Woods as the primary backup to both Colvin and Vrabel?

I apologize... I just saw that you commented on this... I see more of a need at ILB more than anything... Tedy is going to be taking a back seat and more a backup role, and if Vrabel moves back outside, whose playing inside??? We are going to need 2 good ILB, I feel, before even competing for outside... Vrabel(when he played outside) and Colvin, I feel did a respectable job...

PS- Were you talking about me in your quote??? :confused:

I'd almost rather keep Sauerbrun over Miller.

I'm astonished. Please explain.

(From my observation, Miller is a good (not great) directional punter. He has had some success in punting to the sidelines/away from the dangerous returner/letting the ball be downed within the ten-yard line. This is VERY important. Sauerbrun seems not to have that skill at all.

The only thing that matters on punts is net yardage. You can achieve that by directional punting -- or, indeed, by "line drives" that bounce and roll. A long, high kick into the end-zone or straight to a return man without a gunner on top of him is useless. I'm constantly surprised how little this fact seems to be appreciated by people who are otherwise knowledgeable about football.)

Mike Reiss has listed the following positions in order of (importance - need) for the Patriots going forward. Do you agree with him?

1/ LB
2/ CB
3/ WR
4/ S
5/ RB
6/ P
7/TE's
8/ OL
9/ DL

my opinion:

1 - lb
2 - s
3 - cb
4 - wr

i stop at # 4

This is going to be a great offseason....Just to be fly on the wall in the "war room" We will fill our needs and look into the future...

I'm astonished. Please explain.

(From my observation, Miller is a good (not great) directional punter. He has had some success in punting to the sidelines/away from the dangerous returner/letting the ball be downed within the ten-yard line. This is VERY important. Sauerbrun seems not to have that skill at all.

The only thing that matters on punts is net yardage. You can achieve that by directional punting -- or, indeed, by "line drives" that bounce and roll. A long, high kick into the end-zone or straight to a return man without a gunner on top of him is useless. I'm constantly surprised how little this fact seems to be appreciated by people who are otherwise knowledgeable about football.)

Sure. He's younger. And he's a former Pro Bowl punter. He didn't play for most of last season. He's got a stronger leg (see Chargers game) -- most people would claim thats not always a positive since he outkicks the coverage. I think getting Mitchell back and maybe another solid ST cover guy could largely mitigate that problem.

At the very least I'd like to see him brought to TC to compete. I think once he gets back into his top form he can be a better punter than Miller.

I'd put WR before CB with Samuel now franchised (I'd have WR prioritized even without Jackson's injury)

Though one might make the case that quality CBs are tougher to come by than WRs - I still think we are talking about CB depth and a need for 2008 as opposed to an immediate need at WR.

Everything else is just right - the Patriots success starts and ends with strong LBs. We should not have let it get this far with an aging LB corps.

bump.

So far Reiss is doing well.

LB was his # 1, the Patriots signed Thomas.

CB was his # 2, the Patriots tagged Samuel.

WR was his # 3, the Patriots signed Welker

RB was his # 5, the Patriots signed Sammy Morris.

TE was his # 7, the Patriots signed Brady.

Not bad so far. If the Patriots take a S (reiss listed at #4) with one of their 2 first rounders, Mike did well.

1/ LB
2/ CB
3/ WR
4/ S
5/ RB
6/ P
7/TE's
8/ OL
9/ DL

I actually have to say i disagree. We did give up some of the fewest points in the leauge so our LB's couldnt have been that bad, and now with the addition of Thomas i think LB's being at the top of his list is way off. I would have to put CB's at the top then WR'S then Safety, LB's, TE's, OL, DL, RB, then Punters/kickers.

Still need a CB who can start next year.
Could use more youth at both LB slots.
WR, meh. Opportunity, if it's there. IMO, we'll be OK.
RB, Morris will be OK if Maroney falters.
TE, rather have a WR. Should be set at TE.
S, for some reason it's an injury-prone position. Take 2.
DL, someone (anyone, rather) to replace Hill.
OL, someone to challenge Murc.

That's 8 outof 10 slots.

Still need a CB who can start next year.
Could use more youth at both LB slots.
WR, meh. Opportunity, if it's there. IMO, we'll be OK.
RB, Morris will be OK if Maroney falters.
TE, rather have a WR. Should be set at TE.
S, for some reason it's an injury-prone position. Take 2.
DL, someone (anyone, rather) to replace Hill.
OL, someone to challenge Murc.

That's 8 outof 10 slots.

They already have someone to challenge Mruc, and that's Yates and Barthelmes (sp?). Barring any trades or picks, its

Light
Kaczur
O'Callaghan
Britt
Bubin

at the tackles and

Mankins
Koppen
Neal
Hochstein
Yates
Mruc
Barthelmes

inside, of which 8-9 will make it. Taking those 12 to camp with some flotsam and rookie free agents will likely be enough to produce the roster and practice squad. Yates and Bubin, incidentally, are no longer eligible for the practice squad.

Seems like our first day draft picks would be most appropriate at RB, CB and S.

I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted another TE with emphasis on blocking ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back