Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anyone afraid we will do nothing in FA?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by R_T26, Mar 10, 2006.

1. R_T26

R_T26 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've been an optimist but I bring this up for conversation. Anyone afraid that even with 17 mill in cap space the Patriots will still only be signing other teams backups and hoping they can groom to starters. We may lose Willie, Adam, and Givens, and will have to concentrate on replacing them before we can even think of adding other players. When the season ended I heard the dissapointment in BB's voice and knew he would do everything to get back to the SB. But instead of adding to what we had, they may have to work harder just to get back to last years level. Someone tell me Im just nervous. I just dont want to see all the teams around us stacking their teams and the Pats do nothing.

2. Michigan Dave

Michigan Dave Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm not really that nervous. I think our management realizes what the areas of concern are, and that we were thiiiiiiiis close to winning a third straight super bowl. While we may not snag any huge names, I think we'll come into next season with an improved team, and I feel good about where we'll be next year.

3. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nervous? Nope!

I'm not nervous at all. By the time TC rolls around we'll all be intrigued with how the new FA's will look and gel into the team. Especially at WR. Can anyone spell Jurivicous? How about Moulds? We sure aren't gonna draft a WR that can contribute this year........ I'm not worried... In BB/SP I trust. :rocker:

4. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +894 / 20 / -20

I think you answered your own question.
    We have 17 mill in cap room, and we always spend our cap room.
    Of course we are going to sign players.
    What leads you to conclude we wont?

Will we be wining, dining and signing the high profile, best known players? NO
    For a few reasons.
    1) In the grand scheme of things BBs value system typically precludes that kind of guy. BB typically sees 2 players costing 3mill to be better than one a 5.5 and one at 500k.
    2) The 'name' players are typically players who have been great players, but also are on or close to the downside of their career. The primary reason BB doesnt sign a lot of 'name' players is that to become a name you have probably already done your best work. Unlike most teams, BB sees this as fools gold.

IMO, BB will get more out this 17mill than any other team will, when all is said and done. But when everyone looks at FA signings, the Pats will not seem exciting. This time next year, the year after, etc, this Pats FA class will look miles better than it does this July. BB signs 'soon to be name players' rahter than name players on their way down.

5. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +393 / 33 / -5

aj,

We always spend our cap room? How much cap room did we have to start 2005. How close was that amount to the $1M that we generally agree is needed for during the season replacments.

I agree with your other statements.

6. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yes, Jurevicius. ;)

Speaking of him, even though he has a great work ethic and sounds like a solid citizen when interviewed, he'll be 32 next Dec. 23. I'd be nervous about that.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm not, if we don't get any new big names we will likely have re-signed the Branch's or Seymours. If those two are left unresigned then we'll spend the money on new guys. We'll spend it one way or the other.

8. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

If they sign him then they can draft a guy in the later rounds to groom over the next couple of years. Joe has a 2 or 3 solid seasons left in him. I would be thrilled with him, Moulds or Finneran.

9. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The astounding Shirtsleeve is here for his amazing prognostication. Umm, prediction. Ummm, wild guess on this off seasnon's moves. The amazing Shirtsleeve has a perfect record thus far. Lets hope he gets this one right, for a change.....

*Willie re-signs, gets a raise, and the team saves a boat load from the cap.
    *Givens is a memory.
    *Adam re-signs for a tweaked up version of the deal he left on the table, after checking things out just to make himself feel better. When guys like the Tuna tell ya you're crazy to leave, ya gotta start to hear it.
    *We probably lose Neal
    *We go get that hidden jewel reciever in FA. Dont look for a name here.
    *We sign Mawae. Koppen moves to guard.
    *We trade out of the first round, and into the top of the second, pick a DL/LB tweener with our first pick and go on to have a 2003 like weekend. Expect an early S, and OL. Then comes an RB and WR.
    *Flutie stays one more year.
    We will adress our glaring needs in this way. Suddenly we will be solid at most of our weaknesses. Now what about TE?

10. TeamPats

TeamPats On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I do not like Joe, for one his value has never been higher which is the recipe for someone the Patriots avoid. Plus while he may have matured over the years, being a PSUer I know of Joe's "work ethic" that made Paterno sit him out of the Orange Bowl eventhough he was our leading receiver. To this day Jurevicius still speak poorly of Paterno for doing so and will not own up to the fact that he was skipping practices and teem meetings.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  11. drewdagreat

drewdagreat On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was the Citrus Bowl he sat out. I remember because I went to the game.

12. Feep_FLA

Feep_FLA Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

32huh? OK but I still like him in Pats blue for a year or 2..... AND that rhymes. :rocker:

13. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +894 / 20 / -20

Id say it was a little too close, because we ran out of cap money during the season.

Are you saying that making a higher estimate of how much room you need during the season is not spending to the cap???????? Especially when it was the RIGHT estimate?

14. Miguel

Miguel Patriots Salary Cap Guru PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

There is absolutely no chance that the Patriots will do nothing in free agency. Each and every year this front office has signed or traded for players who ended up starting in Week 1. I am at a loss why you would expect this trend to stop this year when the Pats are so far under the cap.

15. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

With BB/Scott having all this extra time to study and prepare for fielding the 06 team, I'm not afraid of anything. I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride, thank you very much!!!

16. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

You just took the words out of my mouth.

BB & Scott are focused on one thing. That's winning another SB. To think that they are just going to sit back and do nothing is absurd. I'd love to see us keep all of our FA's but we are going to lose some.

We need to keep in mind that BB & SP have been a big part of those 3 rings, as much as the players.

17. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Why does everybody think we need a big slow WR, isn't Finneran a FA this year????? He's got to be younger than Joe J.

If Finneran can catch inaccurate fastballs from Vick and get his head taken off and continue playing, think of how happy he'd be to catch an accurately thrown ball that doesn't result in a concussion from Brady......

I'm still not sure either one has the quickness to play WR for the Pats.

18. flutie2phelan

flutie2phelan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

THAT is the kind of info we find ... nowhere else but here.

DrewDaGreat:
    It was the Citrus Bowl he sat out. I remember because I went to the game.

But ... orange is citrus, right? :)

19. PaulNEPats

PaulNEPats Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

In a way, we can view Rodney Harrison as a pickup, since he was out most of the season with his injury. Assuming he can come to camp healthy, we're already vastly improved.

20. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

We have $17 million in cap room. We won't do "nothing".

Now it may be that a smart strategy involves extending the contracts of Givens and Seymour - that would be a big SOMETHING but might not have the sex appeal of a new signing.