PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone a little nervous about Shayne Graham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, did you guys miss the jets game? Folk 3 missed field goals, one at the 26 yard line and we are crying over a missed PAT by a brand new fill-in kicker working with an new snapper and holder in his first game with us ever? Really? This is what we're doing?

C'mon, give the guy a chance at least. He might not be the Ghost we know and love but he might just do a fine job filling in during his absence. The rest of the team is going to have to pick up whatever slack remains. We'll make do.

Maybe he'll be available and we can dump the former all pro.:rolleyes:

Didn't say you did..

As for the FG by Vinatieri, that was almost 10 years ago... And it wasn't at Heinz field..

I seem to recall a "big kick" by Adam at Heinz field to beat the Steelers at the end of the game in 2005...I believe it was over 40 yards and "only" five years ago...

dont want to get off topics, but Adam did hit the longest field goal (at the time) at Heinz field into the open end in the 2004 season (technically 2005) AFCCG.

A 48 yard field goal.

And he had kick-offs of 46,52,60,58.70,52,59,42.

Doesn't change the fact that Graham has kicked in the cold weather and hit a 40 yarder last night. And that was kicking with a new long snapper and a holder who he's had a week to work with.

Doesn't change the fact that he was the best available at the time.

No one is claiming to get rid of Gost and keep Graham. People are just saying that being nervous right now is a bit pessimistic. This isn't the first time the Pats have had a kicker or punter or long snapper go down during a season. It won't be the last.

dont want to get off topics, but Adam did hit the longest field goal (at the time) at Heinz field into the open end in the 2004 season (technically 2005) AFCCG.

i forgot about that one...thanks...

Well, you're definitely telling a story, I'm just not sure if it's based on reality.

Did you post the available kicker you would rather we picked up? I didn't see it.

this thread is about if you are nervous or not. or maybe i misread the OP's question.

He's played for nine teams? You're sure about that? I have him playing every game but two, seven years in a row for the Bengals.

RayClay - did it ever cross you mind that if a guy sucks so bad, so bad that he can't make a team and gets cut before ever kicking in a game, than NFL.com might not officially log it as a team he played on?

New Orleans Saints

After going undrafted in the 2000 NFL Draft, Graham signed with the New Orleans Saints on June 30, 2000. After going 1-for-1 on extra points and not attempting a field goal in the preseason, he was waived on August 22, 2000.
[edit] Seattle Seahawks

Graham was signed by the Seattle Seahawks on April 27, 2001. He was 6-for-6 on extra points in the preseason but had his only field goal attempt blocked. He was waived on September 2, 2001.
[edit] Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo Bills signed Graham on November 27, 2001 to replace rookie kicker Jake Arians after Arians missed an extra point. Graham played in the Bills' final six games, going 6-for-8 on field goals.
[edit] Return to Seattle

Graham was re-signed by the Seahawks on May 13, 2002. He began training camp with Seattle before being waived on August 13, 2002.
[edit] Carolina Panthers

Graham signed with the Carolina Panthers on September 28, 2002, after an injury to veteran John Kasay. He played in 11 of the Panthers' final 13 games, leading the team in scoring with 60 points. He was 13-of-18 on field goals and averaged 66 yards on his five kickoffs. After spending the 2003 preseason with Carolina, Graham was waived on August 31.
[edit] Cincinnati Bengals

The Cincinnati Bengals claimed Graham off waivers on September 1, 2003. With the Bengals in 2003, Graham played in all 16 games and set a franchise record by making 88% (22-of-25) of his field goals.

In the following offseason, Graham was tendered a restricted free agent offer sheet by the Jacksonville Jaguars, but the offer was matched by the Bengals. In 2004, Graham narrowly missed matching his previous season's accuracy mark, finishing the year 27-of-31 (87.1%) on field goals. In 2005, Graham made 28-of-32 field goals (87.5%), scored a franchise record 131 points, was selected to be the kicker for the AFC Pro Bowl squad, and helped the Bengals record their first winning season since 1990. Graham was the first kicker in franchise history ever to be selected to play in a Pro Bowl.

In 2006, Graham finished fourth in the AFC with 115 points and was 25-of-30 (83.3%) on field goals on the season. In 2007, Graham missed his first field goal attempt of the season (a 53-yard attempt). But after that, he set set a Bengals record by kicking 21 consecutive field goals without a miss over the season's first 10 games. This included a game against the Baltimore Ravens where he set a franchise record by kicking 7 field goals (the second highest total in NFL history). His streak came to an end when he missed a 26-yard attempt in Week 12. By the end of the season, Graham set new franchise records for field goals in a season (31) and field goal percentage (91.2).

Graham finished the 2008 season with an 87.5 field goal percentage, going 21-of-24. In 2009, Graham went 23-of-28 in the regular season, his lowest percentage - 82.1 - in his Bengals career. In the Wild Card playoffs on January 9, 2010, Graham missed two field goals in the Bengals' 24–14 loss to the New York Jets, including a 28-yard attempt that would have cut the score to 24–17 late in the fourth quarter.

Although Graham had a mostly quality seven seasons with the Bengals, he became known for missing big kicks and subsequently was not re-signed after the 2009 season.[1][2]
[edit] Baltimore Ravens

The Baltimore Ravens signed Graham to a one-year deal on June 3, 2010, but he was released by the team at the end of the preseason on September 4, 2010.
[edit] New York Giants

On October 16, 2010, Graham signed with the New York Giants following an injury to kicker Lawrence Tynes. He was released on October 18, after going 4-for-4 on extra points and not attempting a field goal in the Giants' Week 6 win over the Detroit Lions.
[edit] New England Patriots

On November 10, 2010, the New England Patriots signed Graham after an injury to kicker Stephen Gostkowski. In his first game, facing the Steelers, he managed to miss an extra point.
[edit] References

1. ^ Graham's signing makes it official - CBSSports.com
2. ^ http://news.cincinnati.com/article/...62/SPT/It-s-three-if-by-Graham-in-New-England

Last edited:
I seem to recall a "big kick" by Adam at Heinz field to beat the Steelers at the end of the game in 2005...I believe it was over 40 yards and "only" five years ago...

So, just keep changing your story...

The post I replied to was the one where you were clearly referring to Vinatieri and the SnowBowl. You weren't referring to the game 5 years ago.

As for the game 5 years ago, that was the 3rd game of the season. It was only a "big game" because the Squeelers had been running their mouths about how the Pats didn't really beat them in the AFCCG the previous year, that the Squeelers beat themselves.

So, would you like to give it another spin? I'm sure everyone will be able to see through that as well..

Who else do you guys suggest. We just have to work with what we have.

Graham was a fine choice for the PITT game. I expect Belichick to continue looking and we could even have two kickers on the roster for a week or two.

HOWEVER

1) We shouldn't have expected an all-pro to be unemployed. Graham isn't a great kicker. To compare him to VInitieri and Gostkowski seem a bit silly.

2) Graham seems better than PITT's kicker.

3) Graham does NOT seem to be the worst kicker in the league, which he could very well be given that he is unemployed.

4) We are lucky to fill a roster position with a competent street free agent.

Graham was a fine choice for the PITT game. I expect Belichick to continue looking and we could even have two kickers on the roster for a week or two.

HOWEVER

1) We shouldn't have expected an all-pro to be unemployed. Graham isn't a great kicker. To compare him to VInitieri and Gostkowski seem a bit silly.

2) Graham seems better than PITT's kicker.

3) Graham does NOT seem to be the worst kicker in the league, which he could very well be given that he is unemployed.

4) We are lucky to fill a roster position with a competent street free agent.

All correct, and another thing to remember is the up & down nature of kickers. Some guys who are typically good can struggle & vice-versa. Here's hoping this guy catches lightening in a bottle for half a season. Who knows.

this thread is about if you are nervous or not. or maybe i misread the OP's question.

RayClay - did it ever cross you mind that if a guy sucks so bad, so bad that he can't make a team and gets cut before ever kicking in a game, than NFL.com might not officially log it as a team he played on?

New Orleans Saints

After going undrafted in the 2000 NFL Draft, Graham signed with the New Orleans Saints on June 30, 2000. After going 1-for-1 on extra points and not attempting a field goal in the preseason, he was waived on August 22, 2000.
[edit] Seattle Seahawks

Graham was signed by the Seattle Seahawks on April 27, 2001. He was 6-for-6 on extra points in the preseason but had his only field goal attempt blocked. He was waived on September 2, 2001.
[edit] Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo Bills signed Graham on November 27, 2001 to replace rookie kicker Jake Arians after Arians missed an extra point. Graham played in the Bills' final six games, going 6-for-8 on field goals.
[edit] Return to Seattle

Graham was re-signed by the Seahawks on May 13, 2002. He began training camp with Seattle before being waived on August 13, 2002.
[edit] Carolina Panthers

Graham signed with the Carolina Panthers on September 28, 2002, after an injury to veteran John Kasay. He played in 11 of the Panthers' final 13 games, leading the team in scoring with 60 points. He was 13-of-18 on field goals and averaged 66 yards on his five kickoffs. After spending the 2003 preseason with Carolina, Graham was waived on August 31.
[edit] Cincinnati Bengals

The Cincinnati Bengals claimed Graham off waivers on September 1, 2003. With the Bengals in 2003, Graham played in all 16 games and set a franchise record by making 88% (22-of-25) of his field goals.

In the following offseason, Graham was tendered a restricted free agent offer sheet by the Jacksonville Jaguars, but the offer was matched by the Bengals. In 2004, Graham narrowly missed matching his previous season's accuracy mark, finishing the year 27-of-31 (87.1%) on field goals. In 2005, Graham made 28-of-32 field goals (87.5%), scored a franchise record 131 points, was selected to be the kicker for the AFC Pro Bowl squad, and helped the Bengals record their first winning season since 1990. Graham was the first kicker in franchise history ever to be selected to play in a Pro Bowl.

In 2006, Graham finished fourth in the AFC with 115 points and was 25-of-30 (83.3%) on field goals on the season. In 2007, Graham missed his first field goal attempt of the season (a 53-yard attempt). But after that, he set set a Bengals record by kicking 21 consecutive field goals without a miss over the season's first 10 games. This included a game against the Baltimore Ravens where he set a franchise record by kicking 7 field goals (the second highest total in NFL history). His streak came to an end when he missed a 26-yard attempt in Week 12. By the end of the season, Graham set new franchise records for field goals in a season (31) and field goal percentage (91.2).

Graham finished the 2008 season with an 87.5 field goal percentage, going 21-of-24. In 2009, Graham went 23-of-28 in the regular season, his lowest percentage - 82.1 - in his Bengals career. In the Wild Card playoffs on January 9, 2010, Graham missed two field goals in the Bengals' 24–14 loss to the New York Jets, including a 28-yard attempt that would have cut the score to 24–17 late in the fourth quarter.

Although Graham had a mostly quality seven seasons with the Bengals, he became known for missing big kicks and subsequently was not re-signed after the 2009 season.[1][2]
[edit] Baltimore Ravens

The Baltimore Ravens signed Graham to a one-year deal on June 3, 2010, but he was released by the team at the end of the preseason on September 4, 2010.
[edit] New York Giants

On October 16, 2010, Graham signed with the New York Giants following an injury to kicker Lawrence Tynes. He was released on October 18, after going 4-for-4 on extra points and not attempting a field goal in the Giants' Week 6 win over the Detroit Lions.
[edit] New England Patriots

On November 10, 2010, the New England Patriots signed Graham after an injury to kicker Stephen Gostkowski. In his first game, facing the Steelers, he managed to miss an extra point.
[edit] References

1. ^ Graham's signing makes it official - CBSSports.com
2. ^ It's three if by Graham in New England | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

I didn't read all that, but it seems you're listing every team he tried out with before sticking with the Bengals and having one of the better careers around including being all pro.

How is that relevant to anything? Also, I'm waiting to compare your selection from available kickers, I didn't see it.

As to the first part, some people are always nervous. Don Knotts made a career out of it.

New team working together (LS, Holder, K) after a few days practice is one of the toughest stadiums in the league to kick in I can live with a bad play.

I expect a dropoff going from Ghost to Graham.

The missed extra point and the FG which was good but not exactly powerful and a bit on the wounded duck movement through the uprights has me feeling a little worried about a game that will be closer and that Graham may have to kick a 45 yarder or so to win a game maybe as early as next week.

Anyone else here sweating FGs in the upcoming games should they be close ones?

I miss Gostkowski,I never really had many worries of consistency ,even if he shanked one every now and then.
Did you watch last night's game? Jeff Reed missed a chip shot field goal on his own home field.

How many good kickers are currently unemployed these days?

+1

I consider us fortunate to have picked up somebody that may be able to shake off the rust and redeem his career after a shanky 2009 season.

He has a fresh leg and may not be back in the groove just yet, so let this one play out a few weeks please.

I have no problem with the missed FG. Like others have stated it was a bad snap and they all will become more familiar with each other.

What concerned me was the hangtime and depth of the kickoffs. I think I got spoiled by Ghosts hangtime, there was always coverage right there.

I've been nervous about every field goal ever since Vinatieri left. I like Gostkowski but while it may not be true it seems to me like most of his field goals attempts travel diagonally instead of straight. Seems like no matter the distance it's always "whew he just made it". Maybe just in my head but I didn't have that fear when Vinatieri was kicking, as far back as his rookie season in '96 (and the confidence was strengthened by the 2001 season). But yeah Graham, I'm a bit nervous because even though I remember him with the Bengals, I'm not sure what to expect. I don't hold the missed extra point against him though, that was a bad snap. But I am worlds more nervous about him than I was about Gostkowski, and I don't like what I've seen from Graham as far as kickoffs go.

That's just you.

I expect a dropoff going from Ghost to Graham.

Me too. In fact if there isn't, then someone screwed up in the personnel department for not cutting Ghost pre-season and signing Graham then.

I didn't read all that, but it seems you're listing every team he tried out with before sticking with the Bengals and having one of the better careers around including being all pro.

How is that relevant to anything? Also, I'm waiting to compare your selection from available kickers, I didn't see it.

As to the first part, some people are always nervous. Don Knotts made a career out of it.

How is this relevant to anything?

Well lets see. You said he played for X numbers of teams in his career. You did not use a citation.

Then I said, No, he played for Y numbers of team in his career. I sited the sources and even listed all the teams since 2000.

Then instead of admitting you were flat out 100% wrong, you go on to change the subject and ask the ridiculous question of why this is relevant. You even act so cool that you don't have time to "read" my post, probably because you got half way and saw you had already understated your facts by a factor of 4.

For such a seasoned poster, you can't stomach the fact that yes, maybe nearly 1/3rd of the teams have had Shayne Graham under contract and cut/released/did not resign him over the last decade.

So let me ask you something. What the hell does your retort have to do with anything? Can you quote me in stating that there is someone else out there I'd rather have? To the contrary, I never said such a thing. I was actually addressing the original poster who asked if we were nervous?

At the end of the day, this NEP team is the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Any yet, I can say that definitively even though they have played 16 quarters of SB with a net aggregate score of +6.

They are 3 field goals away from being nobodies. The next generation Buffalo Bills. Probably even worse since at least the Bills were more dominate in the AFC for consecutive yrs (4 in 4 instead of 4 in 7).

Do they have a better option? Maybe yes, maybe no. It is really a stupid question because there are probably 100 people (literally) that have accurate tabs on free agent kickers and there status/health/ability as of Nov 15, 2010.

How is this relevant to anything?

Well lets see. You said he played for X numbers of teams in his career. You did not use a citation.

Then I said, No, he played for Y numbers of team in his career. I sited the sources and even listed all the teams since 2000.

Then instead of admitting you were flat out 100% wrong, you go on to change the subject and ask the ridiculous question of why this is relevant. You even act so cool that you don't have time to "read" my post, probably because you got half way and saw you had already understated your facts by a factor of 4.

For such a seasoned poster, you can't stomach the fact that yes, maybe nearly 1/3rd of the teams have had Shayne Graham under contract and cut/released/did not resign him over the last decade.

So let me ask you something. What the hell does your retort have to do with anything? Can you quote me in stating that there is someone else out there I'd rather have? To the contrary, I never said such a thing. I was actually addressing the original poster who asked if we were nervous?

At the end of the day, this NEP team is the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Any yet, I can say that definitively even though they have played 16 quarters of SB with a net aggregate score of +6.

They are 3 field goals away from being nobodies. The next generation Buffalo Bills. Probably even worse since at least the Bills were more dominate in the AFC for consecutive yrs (4 in 4 instead of 4 in 7).

Do they have a better option? Maybe yes, maybe no. It is really a stupid question because there are probably 100 people (literally) that have accurate tabs on free agent kickers and there status/health/ability as of Nov 15, 2010.

Here is what I see.. I see a poster (you) who makes a big deal the fact that Graham has been signed by 8 teams other than the Patriots, but clearly ignores that 6 of those signings came in his 1st two years as an UDFA Kicker trying to find a team to put faith in him. When he finally found a team (Cincy) Graham was there for 7 straight years. And you totally and utterly discounted it. Which is mind-boggling since Graham put up an 86.8 FG%.

As for Graham being known as "Shank", You're the first person I'd heard say that, in all honesty..

As for the other blather about the previous SBs, they are irrelevant and have no bearing on the Pats signing Graham.

BTW, why don't you go back and look at the kickers who are available. Weigh their kick-off ability and their kicking accuracy. Make sure you take into consideration where they kicked (dome vs. open weather). Because, I'd bet the Pats did that in their due diligence before signing Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes