PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody watching the Rose Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice Fourth and One Play!!!! PC goes for it!?!! What a s h i t h e a d!!!! Pete you should have punted you arrogant S O B......

desi-patsfan said:
i dont know, will vince young make a good NFL QB? Will he be a lesser version of Mike vick?

A lesser version? He'll be what Michael Vick should have been. A dynamic runner that can win with his arm.

desi-patsfan said:
i dont know, will vince young make a good NFL QB? Will he be a lesser version of Mike vick?

I don't think he runs that way through pro defenses, and he throws a bit oddly, but he's probably better than half of the starting pro QBs right now. I think he just played his last college game.

SNL said:
Nice Fourth and One Play!!!! PC goes for it!?!! What a s h i t h e a d!!!! Pete you should have punted you arrogant S O B......

I would of thrown it... always works on madden :-D

Pete Carrol coached his team out of the game. Instead of going up 10-0,he goes for it and helps the Texans defense get juiced on the stop. Texans then go up 16-7. Questionable call with their last drive,4th and 2 and he goes for it again. I see the logic, get it and you seal the deal. He basically didn't trust his defense to get the job done. Hat's off to Vince,I wonder if he could of still got the job done if USC opted to punt and put them back at their 20 or further?

Leinhardt was probably a little tiffed,I think he knows he may of just lost being the first QB selected in the upcoming draft. That Texan QB sure made a believer out of me tonight.

desi-patsfan said:
IMO, he's a better passer and runs as well, just don't like his funky delivery. First time I'd seen him, though. Thought he had good field vision unlike Vick, who seldom looks for a second read before he takes off. Scrambling QB's in the NFL are a time bomb, tho.

Patriot Missile said:
Pete Carrol coached his team out of the game. Instead of going up 10-0,he goes for it and helps the Texans defense get juiced on the stop. Texans then go up 16-7. Questionable call with their last drive,4th and 2 and he goes for it again. I see the logic, get it and you seal the deal. He basically didn't trust his defense to get the job done. Hat's off to Vince,I wonder if he could of still got the job done if USC opted to punt and put them back at their 20 or further?

Leinhardt was probably a little tiffed,I think he knows he may of just lost being the first QB selected in the upcoming draft. That Texan QB sure made a believer out of me tonight.

I wouldn't take Leinhart in the 4th round or above anyway, and anyone who does is stupid. He's a great college player who'll be a mediocre pro. Without tons of weapons getting open and a dynamic running game to protect him, his arm and his decision making will be exposed. His best bet is to get into an offense with a workhorse back where he can throw short and intermediate routes off of quick drops and have his weaknesses protected. If the Saints take him, he'll be out of the league in 3 or 4 years most likely.

Richter said:
A lesser version? He'll be what Michael Vick should have been. A dynamic runner that can win with his arm.

Possibly. But I wouldn't want to be his QB coach. You're talking about unlearning so many bad habits it gives me a headache just thinking about it. What's amazing is he is so successful yet so fundamentlly unsound. He won't be able to get away with that on Sundays. He strikes me as a player who needs to be in exactly the right situation to prosper. I give it up to Texas' coaches who put him in those situations.

He'll either be what Michael Vick should have been, or the next Akili Smith. Nobody knows for sure which.

Last edited:
At this point, Young really isn't a much better passer then Vick. Vick was doing these same things during his freshman year when VT went to the title game. They just played a team with a great defense in FSU. Young is a better passer, but Vick, 2 years younger was making these same plays with his legs and an occasional pass.

Last edited:
Patriot Missile said:

The thing to me was, they had it up the middle all night. I was surprised they managed to stop him twice on the last drive.

drewdagreat said:
At this point, Young really isn't a much better passer then Vick. Vick was doing these same things during his freshman year when VT went to the title game. They just played a team with a great defense in FSU. Young is a better passer, but Vick, 2 years younger was making these same plays with his legs and an occasional pass.

I don't remember Vick passing nearly as much as Young already does. Plus, Young seems to go through his reads more reliably. He still has a lot of work to do to be even a decent NFL QB, but I'd rather take my chances with him than the mediocrity that is Ron Mexico.

Last edited:
Richter said:
I don't remember Vick passing nearly as much as Young already does. Plus, Young seems to go through his reads more reliably. He still has a lot of work to do to be even a decent NFL QB, but I'd rather take my chances with him than the mediocrity that is Ron Mexico.

I would agree. I think Young is noticeably more advanced in the passing game than Vick was at this stage of his career, but like Vick, he's still so raw as far as the pro game goes. That side arm crap and **** eyed footwork won't cut it on Sundays. If he gets better fundamentally watch out. He'l be a great one.

Last edited:
Young to Vick isn't the right comparison. Young's more of a Steve McNair. His first instinct isn't the run, but he can do it. Remember, McNair was like a faster Elway (though without quite the Elway arm) coming out. That's who Young reminds me of, a faster McNair, not a slower Vick.

Great great game. (Even though I lost money on SC). As far as ramifactions on the NFL:

-Vince is now coming out and likely will be a Saint

-Leinhart could possibly (and unjustly IMO) fall out of the top 5. One game does not a player make, and he's better than what we saw today. IMO, he will still be a better pro than Vince. Though as others said, he won't be able to do it on his own and will need weapons.

-Pats now have no shot a White, which sucks, bc I was hoping they could get him. If he comes out, he could be the 2nd RB taken and go in the top 15.

-Bush still goes #1

-Pete should not get a pro job. He showed in this game why he is a good college coach who can recruit & coach up talent and is will do just fine if he doesn't have to make any big $$ decisions on the field.

He f'd up royally on all his 4th down calls--you'd think USC was the dog vs. the two time champ with the kind of desperation he was coaching with. And the burned TO at the end was inexcusable. After that play to Bush with 8 sec left, if they had the TO they could have worked the entire field for 20yds and attempted a kick.

If Pete had BB next to him on the sideline telling him what to do on a few crucial plays SC woudl have won.

re:

Thoughts on the game..

WOW, what an amazing game. It definitely lived up to its hype. It was a heavyweight boxing match where both teams played very well, exchanged many blows, and gave all they had. Vince Young carried that team on his back over and over and over again during the game. USC could have tied the score but ran out of time due to Carroll's idiot coaching.

Pete Carroll: Way to get out-coached buddy, going for it on 4th down twice, and more importantly, BURNING YOUR LAST TIMEOUT on the 2-pt conversion with under a minute left in the game.

Reggie Bush: The Texas D contained him as much as they could. Held to over 100 yards of offense and ONLY 1 touchdown. The 20 yard run with 8 seconds left was scary good. If his team had more time at the end, he might have tied the game.

Matt Leinert: Started slow in the first half, but got red-hot and unstoppable in the second half (14 of 15 and 1 TD, I believe).

Lendale White: He is a beast. 3 touchdowns and basically carried the USC offense all night. Definitely the next coming of Corey Dillon.

Vince Young: A superman and future superstar. 75% pass completion percentage, over 460 yards of total offense, and CLUTCH. Every time USC pulled ahead, he responded. 6 minutes left and down 12 points, I have no idea how he came back to win. Possibly the next coming of John Elway.

Michael Huff: Tackling guys all night who were 50-100 pounds heavier than him. Laid big hits all over the field, and was also key in the 4th down stop late in the game. The Texas secondary played as well as it could have against USC's offense.

Officials: Some funky calls that were generally in Texas' favor. For example, the non-review on the lateral that was a Texas touchdown, and also the non-reversal late in the game, also in Texas' favor.

tombonneau said:
-Pats now have no shot a White, which sucks, bc I was hoping they could get him. If he comes out, he could be the 2nd RB taken and go in the top 15.

Not true. While this may happen, there are a few RBs like DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney that are faster and bigger "home run" threats and stand a good chance to get taken first. The combine will obviously determine a lot, and I certainly believe White could go in the top 15, but the Patriots definitely still have a shot at him. He could easily last until 32 even because of the depth of this draft and the quality at the position.

Richter said:
Not true. While this may happen, there are a few RBs like DeAngelo Williams and Laurence Maroney that are faster and bigger "home run" threats and stand a good chance to get taken first. The combine will obviously determine a lot, and I certainly believe White could go in the top 15, but the Patriots definitely still have a shot at him. He could easily last until 32 even because of the depth of this draft and the quality at the position.

True, I might be overly reactive, but White already had buzz that he would be the #2 back even before this game, which makes me think if he comes out now it will likely be true.

But you are right the combine will prove a lot, as we all know players drop during the draft as well.

Remember two years ago, we were pissed that we had no shot at Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson and both were on the board with the Wilfork pick?

I think if the Pats are pickign low 20s they have a shot, high 30s, no way.

And push comes to shove, every April I'll take whoever is at #32 and be happy about it. :)

Last edited:
It's so hard to project draft status beyond just a few guys in January. Steven Jackson was someone I thought we had no shot at. Jackson was every bit as good as White was in college, yet he slid down into the 20s. Id kill to ask BB what he thought of Jackson coming out college. Ive often wondered if he knew Jackson would slip that far, if the Dillon trade would have ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back