PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody watch ESPN last night? (Draft Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Last night they showcased Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin. They talked about the University of Texas and the players that came out last year and this and that and then they talked to the players themselves about trying to get quicker and faster and have better times for the Draft Combine and so on and so forth. But what made me angry is that they would both train together and then break the huddle with a "get money" chant. That was a big turn down to me right then.

The interview ends an an ESPN analyst comes on and says Ross is likely to be taken as high as pick 24 or as low and pick 28. While Griffin is projected to be taken as high as 28 or as low as round 2.

Aka both expected to be Patriots targets.

So did anyone else see this or just me?

Last edited:
Last night they showcased Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin. They talked about the University of Texas and the players that came out last year and this and that and then they talked to the players themselves about trying to get quicker and faster and have better times for the Draft Combine and so on and so forth. But what made me angry is that they would both train together and then break the huddle with a "get money" chant. That was a big turn down to me right then.

The interview ends an an ESPN analyst comes on and says Ross is likely to be taken as high as pick 24 or as low and pick 28. While Griffin is projected to be taken as high as 28 or as low as round 2.

I didn't see it but it is no surprise, players make a lot of money based on how they perform at the combine. Especially if the run a good 40 time.

Look at Chad Jackson, we was rated as a mid to late round 2 prospect before he ran a 4.32 at the combine. The end result was he just missed the first round.

Maybe I'm just too jaded by todays athletes but I don't see that as that big a deal.

I don't watch ESPN anymore but that doesn't surprise me. Before the biggest game of the season against Ohio State, CB Tarell Brown was caught with pot and an unlicensed firearm. The secondary was subsquently torn to bits by the Buckeyes. Ross was recently rushed to a hospital because he was in a "disoriented" state. Let's put it this way, I'll admit it, Texas recruits some guys who don't have the "Patriots mindset".

Ross link - http://texas.scout.com/2/603029.html

I'll admit that I'm a UT fan so I might possibly have a biased opinion here. However, I don't think it's a big deal because of the circumstances.

Those two guys could skip the combine, skip school pro days and not hold any private workouts and they would get drafted somewhere. Obviously not as high but they wouldn't last through two days of picks.

So yeah, for them, the difference between a 4.39 and a 4.51 is a million dollars or more.

They're in the NFL at this point. This isn't like a true freshman in college saying he only plays so he'll be rich in the NFL one day. These guys have already made it. The only thing they are working for now is that draft position.

Alright i feel a bit better about it then. I just get so sick of these make money players that it gets to me.

Alright i feel a bit better about it then. I just get so sick of these make money players that it gets to me.

* I would think just about every player going into the draft is thinking about how much money he'll make. Why wouldn't he?

If ESPN is rumoring the Pats will take them.................cross them off of our draft board. :D

If ESPN is rumoring the Pats will take them.................cross them off of our draft board. :D

Thought that was only true if:
1) Interview them or bring them in for a personal workout (which now is defunct with the drafting or Chad Jackson)
2) A Kiper pick
3) A Borges pick

Thought that was only true if:
1) Interview them or bring them in for a personal workout (which now is defunct with the drafting or Chad Jackson)
2) A Kiper pick
3) A Borges pick

I think it's valid for almost any media source.

* I would think just about every player going into the draft is thinking about how much money he'll make. Why wouldn't he?

Poor is poor. One would think that a measely 100k would be a step up for most of these college athletes. But some of these potential first-rounders are already counting their millions. Give me the draft pick who feels blessed and fortunate to even have the opportunity to play on the NFL level. And give me the draft picks who buy their parents a new house but continue to drive their old pickup.

Doesn't mean the potential millionaires have bad character...but attitude and maturity have to be considered (at the very least).

Poor is poor. One would think that a measely 100k would be a step up for most of these college athletes. But some of these potential first-rounders are already counting their millions. Give me the draft pick who feels blessed and fortunate to even have the opportunity to play on the NFL level. And give me the draft picks who buy their parents a new house but continue to drive their old pickup.

* IMO, you're ignoring reality

For most of these guys this is their chance for the big score--for the rest of their lives! Of course they want to make money while they still have a sound body and half their wits. Their gift is their body and athletic talent and they have a VERY short time in which to take advantage of it. I would think them fools if they had any other approach (see Jeremy Mincey). It really is now or never for 99% of them.

Remember, these are kids having fun...

Well......I wouldn't expect them to break the huddle and say "Good football...that's our game!" or "Fans...Fans....Fans...."

I hope they get all the money they deserve....I can just imagine some of the things I might have done or said if I had a potential million dollar payday waiting for me when I was 21 years old.

Last night I watched another peice on the Sports Complex in Arizona which specialies in preparing players for the NFL combine (I think it was on the NFL network). The subject of the piece was Michigan's DT Alan Branch. He was in Arizona working out, doing the shuttle run, 40 yd dash, et al. He stated that he has lost 15 lbs and wants to be @320 for the combine (he stated that he played at 336 at Michigan). This is simply being smart. I have to take a promotional assestment test in my job to get promoted, I bet many of you do to. DO you study for this test? Of course you do. Why do you study? To get the job. WHy do you want the job? Because it pays you more MONEY!

These college kids are absolutely doing the right thing for themsleves! Where else should they be, class? If you are going to play in the NFL, you might as well make yourself the most money you possible can. Look how much money people like Vernon Davis (did anyone ever hear of him beofre the combine?) make themsleves? Remember Mike Mumula, the workout wonder? For a CB, WR, RB the difference between a 4.6 and a 4.4 is severla millions dollars. Think about it, if you can somehow run a 40 yard dash in Indianapolis in March 2 tenths of a second faster, you will make several million more dollars. You would be nuts not to train for it.

You need to realize that football is a business. It is what it is.

These guys are playing football to make alot of money. Its the American way.

I never understand this...why are players any different than you or I?

I come to work for one reason...money. If more money came from somewhere else...bye bye. If I no longer needed money because I had enough...bye bye. (actually I would coach H.S. football for free to be honest)

I don't fault these guys for wanting to make as much as possible during a relatively short career lifespan. I actually just hope that they take care of their money and not blow it on stupid crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down