Welcome to PatsFans.com

Anybody into nootropics here? First time with Phenibut.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by T-ShirtDynasty, Aug 8, 2006.

1. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Wow. Just wow.

Spent the past two or three months getting my diet and excercise in order for the first time in my life, and have been feeling better then ever (almost down to my goal of 10% bodyfat, from 24% originally. Been slowly adding in and experimenting with different suppliments, amino acids, nootropics and the like to make the most out of my new lifestyle and help with various stresses and challenges in my life, etc....

To that end I started taking an adaptogenic stack of Rhodiola Rosea and Ashwagandha. I was impressed within a week. Loved 'em! That led me to try a few more with mixed results... of particular interest is the effect of Rhodiola and Chocamine on the wife's libido. :D Yikes! (Chocamine is basically chocolate extract... all the good antioxidants and actives from the cocoa plant. It rocks!)

Anyway, one of the ones I wanted to try was on backorder, but yesterday the good postal carrier showed up at the door with my long awaited tub of Phenibut powder. I capped (i.e. filled an empty gel-cap) about 300 or 400 mg (small dose) of it right off the bat and downed it with my coffee. Nothing. No effect.

I went back over my notes and bookmarks for Phenibut, and remembered one tip from a guy on a bodybuilding forum which advised people who were taking too much (and having to deal with residual effects the next day) ... that if the desired effects were wanted around 9:00 pm, the best way to do it was to take a moderate dose around 3:00-ish and another one around 7:00-ish. Seemed like an awful big pain in the arse to me, but I figured what the hell, I had the stuff, might as well try it that way.

Holy Cow. I'm amazed. I felt simply awesome last night, and progressively better and better as the night wore on until I finally melted into bed, and slept like a baby. I think I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. :) (Big deal for me because I'm not a good sleeper, I always toss and turn and fight insomnia 3 or 4 times a week... hence the large post count here.)

I've heard and read people talking about feeling 'euphoric' before, in regards to recreational drugs and the like... but I've never actually felt that way myself, nothing I would ever term as euphoric... until last night. Now, I understand euphoria.

I've been up for about 4 or 5 hours this morning, and the kick in the ass is that it's still with me. A much lesser degree than late last night, and not nearly as 'buzzed' off it, but still euphoric, pleasant, and just happy as hell (but competely and totally functional at work). Can't seem to get the smile off my face, no matter what. The half-life on this stuff is lonnnnnnng.

So I'm curious, anybody else have positive results with any nootropics? Anybody here ever try Phenibut?

2. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

No, I'm afraid haven't, though I admire your ability to ingest new things. I hope it's not a serious illness that's prompting the changes. A good night slep is never a bad thing.

I am stuck on a Keebler and Beamish infusion/ritual after my nightly runs. My age will dictate a change from this sooner or later.

Let me know how your battle/goal goes with the body fat.......knew a runner in High School who was at 3%. He wasn't a Kenyan either. Great runner though.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
  3. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Ability? The only ability it's taken is the ability to focus for hours and hours while I researched biochemistry, hormone cascades, and the like. I've become very good friends with http://PubMed.gov ;) It's been a labor of love though, I never even knew this stuff interested me until I started researching, now I can't get enough of it.
    Thank you, but nope, no serious illness on my part. Just a desire to finally get in shape. The Atkins Diet (had been on it for over 5 years) fixed my weight and many health problems, but I was still "fat" ('skinny-fat' they call it). I didn't weigh much, but I didn't look good either. I've been stuck with a flabby midsection and chest since puberty. Losing 15 pounds on Atkins didn't fix the flab, just made me lighter. It amazed me that over the past 3 or 4 months, I've lost over 10% of my bodyfat, while gaining weight. (By the way, almost zero aerobic exercise! Just weight training, about 30-45 mintues, never more than three times a week. This is significant, because I'm a lazy bastard!)

However, my mother and my wife have been battling various crap over the years. I started looking at suppliments to help them, and it just led to learning more and more and wanting to try more and more. My wife is now off ALL her anti-depressants successfully, and is better than she ever was... her doctor is blown away. Anyway, it was learning about the stuff to help Mom and the wife that led me to stumble onto Nootropics, and when I found some that had recreational uses to go along with their health promoting uses, I was really intruiged. :) And Phenibut didn't dissapoint.

I know it's probably common sense to most people, but in researching my new health kick, bodybuilding, and nutrition, the role of sleep in our lives was probably the most shocking thing to me. Eons ago, doing morning radio for a living, I developed the ability to survive on three or four hours of sleep. Once I left that insane industry, I held onto to those stupid sleep habits, and kind of lost the ability to sleep normally, and eventually developed some pretty hardcore insomnia on top of it (most likely because of it). Now that I fully understand the complexities of what the body does during sleep, how long it actually takes for those functions to take place, and WHEN they take place regardless of the schedule you THINK you're on ... I can't believe I'm not more F'ed up than I am. I can't believe how much harm I've done to my body and metabolism after all these years of poor sleep hygine. I can't believe what a total moron I was. :) Thankfully, a couple of nootropics and some basic supps have really helped me kick my sleep problem in the ass, and pretty quickly too.

Speaking of being a moron... it's past my bedtime. Time to pop a 5-HTP and Magnesium and hit the hay.
    :rocker:

4. NorthShore

NorthShore Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the interesting post, T-ShirtDynasty.

Great work on your march toward 10% total bodyfat!

I'm also well over 20% (even after a couple of year of the Atkins diet) and want to take a more pro-active approach to finding a way to reduce the bodyfat.
    I'm wondering if I might be able to find some alternatives to my son's ADD medication, as well, in the nootropics family.

Do you have links to any additional sites that deal with supplements/nootropics, which you've found helpful?
    The chemistry and medical jargon of PubMed.gov is a little intimidating for me at this point (although I will keep at it!).

Again, thanks for the info and keep up the good work!

5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

I find this thread interesting as I have dabbled in herbs for a while now, but have never heard of these before. As close as I come to this is St. Johnswort which I take in Jan/Feb for SAD. I have tried a bunch of other teas and other herbs on different occasions with mixed results. I find these things intriguing, will never see 10% body fat, but will investigate further.

6. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Northshore... yeah, PubMed is great at making me feel really REALLY dumb. I've got no background in chemistry, biology, or anything like that. Some abstracts from PubMed take me a good week or so to grasp. Thankfully knowledge is cumulative and I have a semi-photographic memory (learned, not natural) so for example when I came across something that "elevates 5-HT levels", I knew that meant it boosted serotonin levels in the brain, which is exactly what the antidepressants that my wife was on were doing. What I'm saying is the more time you spend looking into this stuff, the easier it becomes to grok it all. I'll get you some links to other places later (I've got work piling up today).

I've seen several references to ADD in a few places that I've been hanging around, I'll track down some specifics for you to look into later. Can you tell me what they've got him on now? Like my wife's antidepressants, it becomes easier to look into alternatives if you first understand the mechanisms of what you're trying to replace, and it becomes MUCH easier to get the family doctor on board if you can show this understanding. I've learned this from dealing with four doctors now, two of which love me now, one hates me, and one just curses my name because she has to keep going back to the hormonal cascade charts she learned in medical school to confirm what I'm talking about. :)

GJAJ15, I've read some great stuff on St. John's... I haven't messed with it at all because I haven't been able to fully understand how it works, but I've seen many people swear by it. Plus it seems that it increases 4 or 5 different neurotransmitters and amino acids at the same time, and that worried me a bit... It's easier for me to watch for positive or negative effects if I'm only following one or two at a time.

Herbs are great, there is some amazingly powerful stuff in nature that never gets used by the medical industry because they can't make money on it (unless they synthesize it and patent it) but good ol' chemicals are great too. Phenibut for example is a synthesized form of GABA (the main inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain) with a little something added on to it so that it can pass the blood brain barrier... but it's nothing you'd find in nature.

Soon as I get some more time, I'll start a Fat Loss thread (not weight loss ;)) in here to share what's worked for me for anybody that's interested. I'm still amazed at how easy it has been (finally!!!).

7. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

By the way, anybody lurking on this thread, just a word of warning about jumping off anti-depressants, especially some of the hardcore SSRI's... if you come up with an alternative, be very careful to research what you're on first, the effects of coming off it, and talk it over with your doc first. Some of them are HORRIBLE to come off of... My wife came right off two of them with no problem, but when the doctor tapered her off Lexapro, even with a slow tapering off, the withdrawl symptoms were nastier than the side effects of being on it, and much nastier than the symptoms they were treating in the first place. She was hating life, me, and her doctor for about two weeks. It wasn't fun. And one woman I know on another forum ended up in the hospital when she just decided one day to stop taking Effexor... never did the doctor warn her that suddenly stopping her Effexor could come close to killing her.

Oh.. one more thing 'cause I didn't expect the thread to go in this direction:
    I'm not a doctor, none of this constitutes medical advice, yada, yada, yada. The FDA has not evaluated the information contained in my posts. They're just the experience of one man. The observations here on chemical compounds are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases or substitute for the advice provided by a medical professional. Please consult a qualified health care professional for any medical problems, diseases, illnesses or health conditions.

:D

8. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Good research laiden breakdown on my favorite adaptogen: Rhodiola Rosea

Another good one on Ashwagandha Granted it's on a web site that's trying to sell a product, but it's well researched and referenced. No, I don't use their product.

Also some very helpful stuff at the Nootropics forum at The Immortality Institute, be sure to check the Nootropics Research sub-forum for some good primers on various herbs & chems.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2005
  9. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not a big fan of herbs and supplements in general, mostly because no one can really tell me what's in the pill I'm taking. By law, the company who makes it doesn't have to.

In any case, I take a multi a day, plus calcium (I'm a female and I hate drinking milk).

But wow, 10% body fat? Yowza. I'd never be able to get down to that (of course, it wouldn't be good for a girl to go down that low). But I'm working my way to a good, solid 20%.

What do you do for exercise?