PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody else out there on the hijacked flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphys95

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Is there anyone else out there that was on or is familiar with the hijacked Patriots charter flight in January, 1986?

No I am not making this stuff up. This took place on the Monday after Super Bowl XX in New Orleans. Crimson Travel had a charter flight leaving that evening which was delayed because of a hijacking threat. S.W.A.T. teams surrounded the plane and a Patriots fan was arrested for making threatening comments. I'm really curious to find other Pats fans who were on that flight or knew of someone who was. It was most certainly an unforgettable event, after hours of an exhaustive bomb search the plane departed the following morning, only to experience a free-fall on take off.

I was on that flight.

If anyone is familar with this incident, please direct them to our fan website, www.MurphysPatriots.com to contact me, or respond to this thread. I'm interested in getting other accounts of the day.

Last edited:
First I heard of it...now I am curious....

What do you mean by a free-fall on takeoff? Was there some turbulence or something?

The free-fall occurred after takeoff (which was around 5:30am on Tuesday morning). Approximately 60 seconds into the flight the engines cut out and plane dropped at a free-fall for what seemed like an eternity (realistically it might have been 4-5 seconds). We turned around and landed, and were told that due to the bomb search something in the nose of the plane had been misaligned (whatever that means). It was so frightful that several passengers got off the flight at that point.

It's a long story laced with strange occurrences. FYI, Tuesday January 28th was the same day the Challenger exploded.

I know we have a lot of older fans who frequent this board, and this is just a long-shot that one of them, or someone, may have been aboard that flight (or known someone that was).

Where was NEM?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey