PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anybody else concerned about the DL casualties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more concerned about the potential long-term problems that can step from playing more than a player should- particularity Wilfork. Hes played ALOT of snaps these past few weeks and I'm hoping that does not have a residual effect on his stamina for possibly 6 more games.

If they win the next two games, he and the older guys can have three weeks off. That should help a lot.

With the way our offense is playing I feel like even if it is a problem, Brady will outgun Flynn. I know the Packers have a great D, but so does Pittsburgh, Jets, and Chicago. Still, I have a feeling the D will be fine if Rodgers really doesn't play. Especially if it snows :)

I'm wondering what sort of Defensive Front the Pats will use against Greenbay.

I think with the injuries we'll see a little more of a 4-3 front with:

Cunningham, Love, Wilfork, and TBC.

If they go 3-4 I'm expecting

Wilfork (DE), Love (NT), Deadrick (DE) with Leonard and Moore rotating in.

If they win the next two games, he and the older guys can have three weeks off. That should help a lot.

Agreed. On the flip-side I don't want guys like Mike Wright playing on running downs. It's a delicate balance.

Four may not play this week. Brace and Wright with concussions, Warren with a knee problem, and Pryor with a back problem. No way to know how far any of these extend going forward.

Leaves us with Wilfork, Leonard, and the rookies Love and Deaderick, And the new kid Eric Moore at 267 pounds.

I'd hate to have GB get a running game going when they wouldn't normally be able to.

If Rogers plays then they could definately get a running game going. I am going to stop worrying about Brady encountering new defenses because he is just on fire and I think ultametly even if they do get their ground game going they will not keep up with Brady and the offense..

NUFF SAID! GOOOOO PATS!!

The consensus seems to be that Tom Brady will make up for any deficiencies on the defensive line.
================

If all the injured are not available, this is the worst defensive line that Belichick has fielded since he came to New England.

We will have Wilfork and the walk-ons.
Deaderick, Love, Moore and Leonard

If Green Bay can't run against this front (and no Spikes at LB), then they need to seriously reassess their running game.

Warren was back at practice yesterday, so I am not worried about him.

Brace and Wright I am worried about, though Wright may have been held out by the Pats to prevent another concussion before the play-offs.

Pryor is worrisome because, once you have back problems, they never go away...

Welcome to a preview of the future of the 18 game full tilt full time season :mad:

I figure at least one, if not two of those four are able to go Sunday. I'm more concerned with the rest of the season than this one game. I want as many of these guys as possible to be at or near 100% when the playoffs begin.

The thing is we get so little information about injuries, it would not be a surprise if one of these players suddenly went on IR. We've seen something similar happen with Neal, Wilhite, Bodden and others.

I think we've become so accustomed to the Pats being able to overcome injuries that we have reached a point where we just assume they will be able to continue to do that. We've been fortunate so far but where is the tipping point? Come January the opponents will be the league's best teams, where a slight dip in productivity at one or two positions can be the difference between a win or a loss.

I was noticing this league wide, I usually read the "DEALS" section in the sports page everyday, and this time of year there are alot of guys going on IR.

If I was a player rep I would use that data to argue against the 18 games.

Welcome to a preview of the future of the 18 game full tilt full time season :mad:

What they also need to do is change the IR system to add a PUP-like designation throughout the season (e.g., if a player goes on PUP, he can't play for a minimum of 4-6 weeks).

What they also need to do is change the IR system to add a PUP-like designation throughout the season (e.g., if a player goes on PUP, he can't play for a minimum of 4-6 weeks).

I've felt this way for a long time and it has been discussed on the board before. With that said, if the NFL goes to a 18 game schedule I think it critical that such a "DL" system is put in place as there is a potential for star players with major injuries who could make it back in an 18 game schedule, but not a 16 game one makes is a win-win for everyone.

Re: Injury Report: Whole bunches of DL's missing...

Wonder if this means we'll be seeing more of Arrington at DE...
With Wilhite on IR the Pats are thin at CB too, so I would presume we won't see him at DE any longer.

Seriously though, would it make sense for the Pats to work on their the 4-3 front a little in the next game or two?
Since we are thin on the defensive line, I'm thinking more two DL and a 5th DB formations.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what sort of Defensive Front the Pats will use against Greenbay.

I think with the injuries we'll see a little more of a 4-3 front with:

Cunningham, Love, Wilfork, and TBC.

If they go 3-4 I'm expecting

Wilfork (DE), Love (NT), Deadrick (DE) with Leonard and Moore rotating in.
What you describe is really the nickel package (DL inside, OLBs at DE in a 4 man front) that we have used a lot lately in situations we normally play base D.

The consensus seems to be that Tom Brady will make up for any deficiencies on the defensive line.
================
I know you meant that tongue in cheek, but it may actually be correct.

I dont know why they would just change IR so its not season ending. Make it week to week, limit the number of guys who can be on it.

Yes, we will play a lot of nickel since the defensive backs are available. We have seven solid defensive backs; we have Mayo and Guyton; We have Wilfork. I have little worries in the nickel or dime packages. There is just one weak player playing in that formation.

And yes, Banta-Cain and Cunningham (and Ninkovich and Moore) are fine at DE when we play a 4-3.

The issue is how much will be affected in base 3-4 situations. We really don't have much at 3-4 DE.

With Wilhite on IR the Pats are thin at CB too, so I would presume we won't see him at DE any longer.

Since we are thin on the defensive line, I'm thinking more two DL and a 5th DB formations.

So that leaves a healthy DL lineup of Wilfork, Deaderick, Moore, Leonard, and Love?

Or to put it another way: Vince Wilfork is the only healthy defensive lineman on the team who played a snap in the NFL last season.

Or to put it yet another way: what defensive front can you put together with those guys? Maybe a 4-3 with Wilfork & Love at DT, Moore and Cunningham at OLB?

I think we'll be seeing a return of the Deaderick-Love-Wilfork D-Line when we're in our base 3-4.

I think at this point they're just playing it safe until the play offs. Which is fine by me as long as we can wrap up the #1 seed. Don't pull an indy and sit everyone but if a guy is dinged up let him relax a bit.

Warren was back at practice yesterday, so I am not worried about him.

:woohoo:

He adds a lot of flexibility and makes me breathe a little easier for this week.

On Wright and Pryor, I'm encouraged that neither has been placed on IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes