PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any way to kill the audio on ads?

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I understand that ads pay for the site. I am cool with that. But no site I have ever visited as more annoying ads than this one.

The UFC fight ad that randomly screams out of my speakers is enough for me to serious consider moving back to Patriots Planet.

Even pop up ads are not nearly as annoying as the rollover ads here and the audio ones.

There are ads here??

*Firefox user with ad block add on*

I understand that ads pay for the site. I am cool with that. But no site I have ever visited as more annoying ads than this one.

The UFC fight ad that randomly screams out of my speakers is enough for me to serious consider moving back to Patriots Planet.

Even pop up ads are not nearly as annoying as the rollover ads here and the audio ones.

Yeah some of those ads are really loud!

Just turn the volume on your pc down.

I do that. And then I turn them back on to listen to things I actually want to hear. And sometimes I will have two browsers open. Both the forum and a link off of the forum of a BB press conference. And I can't hear the video I want to listen to because the ad is screaming.

If Patsfans.com unlike most forums can't support itself through normal ads and must resort to the obscenely obnoxious ones I will simply choose another forum to visit. It is out of control here.

I work in multimedia, so I need speakers on, so visiting this site during work hours became a little troubling when there were audio ads. HOWEVER - ther is a great Firefox plugin called Flashblock. It makes all flash swfs optional - DL it, its great.

Become a paying member ;)

I work in multimedia, so I need speakers on, so visiting this site during work hours became a little troubling when there were audio ads. HOWEVER - ther is a great Firefox plugin called Flashblock. It makes all flash swfs optional - DL it, its great.

I don't want to do that. I don't have Firefox. Plus I visit other sites that also work on the ad revenue model and the specifically ask that we don't use ad blockers cause it completely shuts down their revenue stream. I don't want to stop supporting those site because this site allows extreme ads.

Become a paying member ;)

If that is the model Ian is using, allow extremely obnoxious ads to coerce people into paying for a service pretty much every other message board is able to make work solely on reasonable ads. Then I would rather go to Patriot Planet or even complete stop discussing the Patriots online than support that.

I clicked on this site the other night, a loud add popped up....it woke up the family, and my wife yelled at me. True story.
Because of the noise level, I click off the site as quick as possible. So...in other words ........I DON'T read your adds, I DON't listen to your adds....I AVOID your adds and at times I AVOID the site because of your adds.....IT AIN'T WORKIN
And I don't think I should have to turn off my volume everytime I come to PatsFans...PLEASE CHANGE

Pony up a little dough for the site and the ads will go bye bye.

Eh, I plopped down a little dough and got some Pats stuff, along with ad-free browsing.

and at times I AVOID the site because of your adds.....

I thought you avoided coming here because the Pats are winning now. :confused2:

I plan to become a paying member as soon as I am no longer a poor college student. Until then, Safari AdBlock works just fine :cool:

I clicked on this site the other night, a loud add popped up....it woke up the family, and my wife yelled at me. True story.
Because of the noise level, I click off the site as quick as possible. So...in other words ........I DON'T read your adds, I DON't listen to your adds....I AVOID your adds and at times I AVOID the site because of your adds.....IT AIN'T WORKIN
And I don't think I should have to turn off my volume everytime I come to PatsFans...PLEASE CHANGE

You will become a paying member of Patsfans.com. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile

If that is my only choice....I will go bye bye.

Well, use Firefox as at least 2 posters have mentioned!

Even if you don't use firefox normally, use it for this site!

Well, use Firefox as at least 2 posters have mentioned!

That completely cuts off the ad revenue to this site and other sites I visit. Thus a poor choice.

I don't understand why that is a better solution than limiting this site to reasonable ads and then having the site collect the ad revenue from the reasonable ads as a way of supporting the site.

I don't mind seeing the ads. Just don't shout them at me.

> That completely cuts off the ad revenue to this site and other sites I visit. Thus a poor choice.

You can selectively exclude sites from adblocker. I know this for sure for Chrome (some sites I use are smart enough to sense adblocking software and refuse to work if detected) and assume its the same for firefox. You have a perfectly workable solution, you just need to figure out how to do it.

For what its worth, I develop and support open source software and act as a forum moderator elsewhere all for which I get 0 compensation. I am painfully aware that the internet doesn't run on hugs. Rather than threaten to leave, consider spending a few pennies to get yourself a nice pats related gift by becoming a paying member. The hardware costs and the time DONATED by the mods here are significant. Reconsider giving back just a tad for all that is provided to you FREE.

I have no relationship with the folks who run this site other than being a satisfied user and supporter.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back