PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any way on earth the Patriots draft Brandon Graham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But watch the guy vs. the run. He looks like a dang Kung-Fu Karate Kid "Wax on Wax off" guy shedding blocks.

He was like one of the NATIONS top tackles for loss guy. You have to be good vs. the run to do that obviously.

Yes you have to be good, and he wasn't just one of the top guys -- Graham led the nation in tackles for losses with 23.

And on that note, I'll give everyone one guess who the school record holder is for tfls in a season with 28.5. This player also had 43 for his career.

Factoid #1) Graham will go between 10 and 20 to a 43 team.
Factoid #2) He will be a fine player.
Factoid #3) He ain't no linebacker.

Sene, Crable led the country a couple of years ago.

Sene, Crable led the country a couple of years ago.

Yep, the Pats own Shawn Crable is the Michigan record holder for tackles for losses in one season w/ 28.5. Here's hoping he'll arrive (and remain) healthy...we'd all like to see him prove his worth...

Factoid #1) Graham will go between 10 and 20 to a 43 team.
Factoid #2) He will be a fine player.
Factoid #3) He ain't no linebacker.

BG does looke like more of a 4-3 defensive end. He's too short and his arms are too stubby to fit BB's requirements for a 3-4 OLB. Graham might be able to adjust to a 3-4 one gap system like in Pittsburgh or San Diego, but I don't see the fit in the Pats 3-4 two gap.

I don't want to be mean, but I keep thinking Dan Klecko when I think of BG in the Pats system. Klecko was 6' 270, he got stuffed by OL because his arms were too short, and once they got their hands into his pads it was all over. His most meaningful contributions were as a part time FB. He just didn't cut it as a linebacker in the Pats system.

Last edited:
Miami has washed it's hands of Jason Taylor.......................

Let's not even go there. Yeah maybe 2 seasons ago but now NO THANKS. Get our guy in the draft!

Like I wrote earlier, I wouldn't mind Sergio Kindle but that might need a trade up to happen and is that guy really worth it? Does anyone know??????

BG does looke like more of a 4-3 defensive end. He's too short and his arms are too stubby to fit BB's requirements for a 3-4 OLB. Graham might be able to adjust to a 3-4 one gap system like in Pittsburgh or San Diego, but I don't see the fit in the Pats 3-4 two gap.

I don't want to be mean, but I keep thinking Dan Klecko when I think of BG in the Pats system. Klecko was 6' 270, he got stuffed by OL because his arms were too short, and once they got their hands into his pads it was all over. His most meaningful contributions were as a part time FB. He just didn't cut it as a linebacker in the Pats system.

Yup. It's not a knock on the kid, but it's quite clear to me that he's an end. Probably #2 on my board for a 43. Best fit would be an Indy clone. I mean this in that what Caldwell is trying to make his D into. A little more stout at the POA, high motor, undersized, hand technique guy. If I had a scheme that favored smaller ends, I would move to get him.

As a backer? Nah. He's got a nice little motor on him, but he can't lock out, he ain't rangy enough, and his tips are tight like a tiger. No gracias for the 34, but a damn good 43 prospect.

Last edited:
Which one preseason game?
]

Preseason game #1 first Baltimore in 08. The only game Crable has been in uniform with the Pats. Had an interception. Looked good in coverage for such a big player. Flashed potential as a pass rusher and tackled well.

Like I wrote earlier, I wouldn't mind Sergio Kindle but that might need a trade up to happen and is that guy really worth it? Does anyone know??????
Kindle is very overrated and he won't solve the Pat's pass rush problems.

Looks good.

Also watch out for Ricky Sapp; he seems to be a player of great interest to the Patriots and his highlight reel is pretty special also.

I want to let everyone know how I feel about Brandon Graham. I am a huge Michigan football fan and I have been ever since I was 5 or 6. I was very high on Woodley in 2007 and I told some my friends that David Harris was the steal of the draft in 07. I told people that Laurinitis and Pozlusny were overrated and products of hype and that Harris was better then both. I would say so far that I have been spot on with these two players. I also didn't like Shawn Crable in 07 and I even remember a draft mag saying he was going to be a huge bust because of his skinny legs. I didnt like Crable because his technique was awful and he just relied on speed and athleticism in college. He got eaten alive when he put his hand in the dirt and tried to go around or through an OT.

Anyways, I have seen Graham play more then anybody on this board I guarantee it! I have seen every single Michigan game Brandon Graham has played in except Toledo in 08 and Delaware State in 09. Brandon Graham is absolutely the most dominant defensive player I have ever seen in college at Michigan since Charles Woodson. Brandon Graham simply dominated opponents and has been unblockable for the last two years.

Brandon Graham has the size, motor, technique and work ethic to overcome his lack of ideal arm length. He has good quickness and speed but not elite. I consider elite quickness and speed to be at a Freeney level. However, his motor is 100% non stop. He is very tough and excellent at setting the edge, bull rushing, or blowing by an OT. He is unreal vs the run which BB loves. He uses his hands very well to disengage blockers and shows outstanding power. He is great at getting under an OT pads and using leverage to power the guy back or by throwing him to the side. He does need to develop a counter move as he really only uses an inside spin right now but I think this can be developed. His closing speed is unreal and cant be measured at a combine. He has dropped into coverage at times and showed some fluidity. I think he can adequately cover TEs and RBs but hes at his best going after the QB.

I really hope BB sees the light and thinks outside the box from the 6-4 260 4.6guys. Would you rather have a guy with the right height-weight-speed or a guy who can just get the job done and be productive? Kindle and Sapp are overrated and are soft at the POA. I think teams will just run right at them. These guys also have weak sack numbers as well. Sapp played in the weak ACC and Kindle didnt so crap in the Big 12 this past yr without Orakpo. I dont know as much about Worilds or Misi but I doubt they are as talented or as productive as Graham. Jerry Hughes I love too except he really is weak vs the run as well but in the 2nd I wouldnt mind taking him as a situation pass rusher. I think Hughes could be Freeney 2.0 but maybe hes better suited for a 4-3 team.

One last thought to think about. Adalius Thomas has the proper measurements and speed to play OLB but he sucks. Bruschi didnt have the measureables to play ILB but exceled! You can't teach work ethic, desire, and heart! Don't doubt Brandon Graham! I bet he becomes a very good NFL player no matter where he goes.

Will the Pats draft Brandon Graham? Only if they are smart!

Last edited:
Look at these three guys measureables. The top two guys were first and third in sacks this year in the NFL. They both plays in 3-4s!

Dumervil: 5-11 248 32 in arms, 9 1/8 hands, 4.78 forty
Woodley: 6-2 266 32 7/8 arms, 9 7/8 hands, 4.62 forty
Graham: 6-1 263 32 7/8 arms, 9 7/8 hands, 4.69 forty

DRAFT BRANDON GRAHAM BANDWAGON!

1) Laurinitis had a fine year. There are few posters who in hindsight wouldn't have rather drafter Laurinitis that Chung.

2) Posters are not dissing the potential of Graham. Many just think he is a better 4-3 prospect than a 3-4 prospect and doesn't meet Belichick's size/weight preferences. That makes Graham more valuable to 4-3 teams that to the patriots.

I want to let everyone know how I feel about Brandon Graham. I am a huge Michigan football fan and I have been ever since I was 5 or 6. I was very high on Woodley in 2007 and I told some my friends that David Harris was the steal of the draft in 07. I told people that Laurinitis and Pozlusny were overrated and products of hype and that Harris was better then both. I would say so far that I have been spot on with these two players. I also didn't like Shawn Crable in 07 and I even remember a draft mag saying he was going to be a huge bust because of his skinny legs. I didnt like Crable because his technique was awful and he just relied on speed and athleticism in college. He got eaten alive when he put his hand in the dirt and tried to go around or through an OT.

Anyways, I have seen Graham play more then anybody on this board I guarantee it! I have seen every single Michigan game Brandon Graham has played in except Toledo in 08 and Delaware State in 09. Brandon Graham is absolutely the most dominant defensive player I have ever seen in college at Michigan since Charles Woodson. Brandon Graham simply dominated opponents and has been unblockable for the last two years.

Brandon Graham has the size, motor, technique and work ethic to overcome his lack of ideal arm length. He has good quickness and speed but not elite. I consider elite quickness and speed to be at a Freeney level. However, his motor is 100% non stop. He is very tough and excellent at setting the edge, bull rushing, or blowing by an OT. He is unreal vs the run which BB loves. He uses his hands very well to disengage blockers and shows outstanding power. He is great at getting under an OT pads and using leverage to power the guy back or by throwing him to the side. He does need to develop a counter move as he really only uses an inside spin right now but I think this can be developed. His closing speed is unreal and cant be measured at a combine. He has dropped into coverage at times and showed some fluidity. I think he can adequately cover TEs and RBs but hes at his best going after the QB.

I really hope BB sees the light and thinks outside the box from the 6-4 260 4.6guys. Would you rather have a guy with the right height-weight-speed or a guy who can just get the job done and be productive? Kindle and Sapp are overrated and are soft at the POA. I think teams will just run right at them. These guys also have weak sack numbers as well. Sapp played in the weak ACC and Kindle didnt so crap in the Big 12 this past yr without Orakpo. I dont know as much about Worilds or Misi but I doubt they are as talented or as productive as Graham. Jerry Hughes I love too except he really is weak vs the run as well but in the 2nd I wouldnt mind taking him as a situation pass rusher. I think Hughes could be Freeney 2.0 but maybe hes better suited for a 4-3 team.

One last thought to think about. Adalius Thomas has the proper measurements and speed to play OLB but he sucks. Bruschi didnt have the measureables to play ILB but exceled! You can't teach work ethic, desire, and heart! Don't doubt Brandon Graham! I bet he becomes a very good NFL player no matter where he goes.

Legacies-we take Ruud and Slater yet pass on Matthews
Michigan DE/OLBs-we take Woods and Crable.....I'd bet they pass on Graham.
Why?? Wish I knew...

1) Laurinitis had a fine year. There are few posters who in hindsight wouldn't have rather drafter Laurinitis that Chung.

2) Posters are not dissing the potential of Graham. Many just think he is a better 4-3 prospect than a 3-4 prospect and doesn't meet Belichick's size/weight preferences. That makes Graham more valuable to 4-3 teams that to the patriots.

How on earth do you combine these two points?

Laurinitis plays MLB in the Rams 4-3. His mobility is perfectly suited to that position, and he doesn't have to take on guards because of the extra lineman in front of him. One thing that he can't do is stack and shed, yet that is absolutely vital for any linebacker in our 3-4.

Chung had an ok year. Showed enough potential to feel good about future years. We have a complex defense and it takes time to learn it - just look at Meriweather's development. Louis Delmas came onto a terrible Lions team and had no choice but to start. If Chung had had to start, he would have been fine.

How on earth do you combine these two points?

Laurinitis plays MLB in the Rams 4-3. His mobility is perfectly suited to that position, and he doesn't have to take on guards because of the extra lineman in front of him. One thing that he can't do is stack and shed, yet that is absolutely vital for any linebacker in our 3-4.

Chung had an ok year. Showed enough potential to feel good about future years. We have a complex defense and it takes time to learn it - just look at Meriweather's development. Louis Delmas came onto a terrible Lions team and had no choice but to start. If Chung had had to start, he would have been fine.
Mark is just pimping his binky, it's not an academic process, just unrequited love. ;)

So I'm watching the NFLN last night and they brought up this very discussion about the Pats.. Does BB go for Graham and his long standing college production or Kindle Height and weight ratio..

It was a quick segement but really cool.. 3 out of the 4 suggested Defense.. That being Kindle, Graham or a 5 Tech DE.. Mayock really likes the WR from Georgia

side note - Did anyone notice Kindle is only 1.5 inches taller than Graham.. We're not talking 4-6 inches.. we're talking about (max) 1.5 inches. Its not like Kindle is 6"5.. NFLN actually had hit listed UNDER 6"3 and about 18 pounds lighter than Graham..

Good post. I'm on the Graham bandwagon. This guy is gonna be at the very least a good player at the next level. Great leader, motor & work ethic, he's the kind of guy our D was sorely lacking last year. I'm hoping BB pulls the trigger on this kid if he's available @22, a little shorter than he likes but this guy is a beast against the run. ( something BB loves )

This is absolutely correct. Other than Greg Hardy, Graham is the only player I think is capable of helping our pass rush. Like you said, guys like Kindle, Sapp, Griffen, Pierre-Paul, Dunlap are overrated as hell. Worilds and Hughes are ok, but not as good as Graham vs the run. Haven't seen enough of Lane or Misi to know much about them, but I doubt they're anything near Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back