PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any way on earth the Patriots draft Brandon Graham?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrTibbs

In the Starting Line-Up
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The more I look over impact players in this years draft I just can't stop watching Brandon Grahams youtube highlight package. Damn that dude can play and the way he uses his hands to shed blockers vs. the run is pretty good. I looked over all the top alleged pass rushers and NONE of them look anywhere near the type of high motor guy Graham is.

The Patriots defense needs energy and someone to fear...........THAT DUDE IS IT. Is there anyone here that would cringe hearing his name called when the Patriots pick is announced at the podium?

I think the guy can play.

Last edited:
The more I look over impact players in this years draft I just can't stop watching Brandon Grahams youtube highlight package. Damn that dude can play and the way he uses his hands to shed blockers vs. the run is pretty good. I looked over all the top alleged pass rushers and NONE of them look anywhere near the type of high motor guy Graham is.

The Patriots defense needs energy and someone to fear...........THAT DUDE IS IT. Is there anyone here that would cringe hearing his name called when the Patriots pick is announced at the podium?

We need an OLB like our next breath. So you know what that means. TE!

i kinda hope so but his cons are...short, short arms, may be weak in coverage, and there is alot of olb's in this draft so....

But watch the guy vs. the run. He looks like a dang Kung-Fu Karate Kid "Wax on Wax off" guy shedding blocks.

He was like one of the NATIONS top tackles for loss guy. You have to be good vs. the run to do that obviously.

* Goes back to last year *

"Come on, Clay Matthews is there, let's get him!!!!"

*5 minutes later* Patriots trade down.

*1 hour later*

"Connor Barwin's still there!!!!"

Pats select Patrick Chung.

*30 minutes later*

"Barwin and Sintim are still there, with two picks in a row!"

Pats select Ron Brace.

"Ok? But we still have pick #41!"

Pats select Darius Butler.

Why the hell do they do that? It's like they want to show the NFL that NOBODY will ever predict their next move even if that means taking a guy nobody ever heard of or taking the top guy regardless of position.

They outsmart themselves more often then not these days. So smart that their stupid, LOL.

I'm at the point now it's like draft the damn guy (Graham) and we'll live with him being good or a bust with no complaints.

They Patriots haven't had a playmaker on defense since, McGinest, Harrison, Samuel and a younger 03' & 04' season Bruschi. Ty Law fell off in 03 so.............

I thought the same thing, he maybe short but he runs around and through blockers. He doesn't stop. One night i was watching video of Odreck and Graham, Odreck never seemed to get pushed back, he always seemed to go foward or at lest held his ground. Graham seemed almost unstoppable he has the quickness, speed, and strength.

Last edited:
The guy has 85+ tackles for a loss, pretty sure he was facing a lot of double teams. He is a little short but I like he would fit the bill, but I expect him to be taken around pick 15.

I thought the same thing, he maybe short but he runs around and through blockers. He doesn't stop.

As sure as the sun will come out tomorrow, it's nearly a sure bet that since most mock drafts have the Patriots taking the guy means no way in hell they do.

Sergio Kindle might help ease the pain but I'd still be disappointed with no Graham.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think he's gunna be long gone by the time pick 22 comes up.

No chance. Doesn't even come close to fitting BB's 6'4 4.6 prototype.

I also may be the only person who doesn't like him as a first-round pick. I know people compare him to Woodley, but I don't think he is as strong as Woodley and isn't as tall, long, agile, or fast. I think the step-up in talent level in the NFL, especially the bigger and more agile OTs, will limit his production.

Woodley: 6'2 266 lbs. 4.66 40. 32 7/8-inch arm length.
Graham: 6'1 263 lbs. 4.71 40. 32 1/4-inch arm length.

It's not hard to see what the Patriots prefer to do in the draft with the exception of the draft that landed Mayo.

Belichick prefers a handful of average to good players over one or two IMPACT players. As much as I like Belichick as a coach the guy has never been that great judging talent and personnel.

Belichick was always the better coach then Parcells but there is no doubt in my mind Parcells is WAY better talent evaluator. Look at the Cowboys and how he left them. Look at what he's done with the Dolphins. Heck have you watched any of the old Patriots games with Law, Brown, Johnson, Bruschi, Milloy, McGinest, Martin, Coates, Bledsoe so on and so on........ Imagine Belichick coaching those squads.

Nobody can ever say they love a Belichick draft. Every year it leaves us scratching our heads like WTF just happened? Why didn't they draft this guy or that guy? I guess his arms were too short or he wasn't 6'4" he was only 6'3" & 1/2. We go after the Burgesses, Thomas and Banta Cains of the NFL.

No chance. Doesn't even come close to fitting BB's 6'4 4.6 prototype.

I also may be the only person who doesn't like him as a first-round pick. I know people compare him to Woodley, but I don't think he is as strong as Woodley and isn't as tall, long, agile, or fast. I think the step-up in talent level in the NFL, especially the bigger and more agile OTs, will limit his production.

Woodley: 6'2 266 lbs. 4.66 40. 32 7/8-inch arm length.
Graham: 6'1 263 lbs. 4.71 40. 32 1/4-inch arm length.

Yeah answer this for me (no disrespect to you at all). Other then Vrabel what big prototypical OLB has Belichick ever brought in that was worth a damn? I mean McGinest was from Parcells (read post above). Thomas bust, Burgess bust, Banta Cain average. Who Woods? Alexander? Who's the guy they drafted who quit after 1 season? The kid from Ohio State? Who else have I missed? Colvin was pretty good I'd give him that.

Cmon!!! Belichick has whiffed badly with his prototype outside linebackers.

Edit: Sorry Katzenmoyer was a Parcells pick

Last edited:
I get the feeling sometimes that Bill just wants to find the next Lawrence Taylor for his own team.

Sadly LT is a once-in-a-lifetime player.

Yeah answer this for me (no disrespect to you at all). Other then Vrabel what big prototypical OLB has Belichick ever brought in that was worth a damn? I mean McGinest was from Parcells (read post above). Thomas bust, Burgess bust, Banta Cain average. Who Woods? Alexander? Who's the guy they drafted who quit after 1 season? The kid from Ohio State? Who else have I missed? Colvin was pretty good I'd give him that.

Cmon!!! Belichick has whiffed badly with his prototype outside linebackers.

Edit: Sorry Katzenmoyer was a Parcells pick

Perhaps part of the reason BB hasn't drafted many OLBs in general was because of the presence of McGinest, Vrabel, and Colvin for much of the decade. The other reason is that there hasn't been many 6'4 4.6 guys available since 2000 (24 if you only go by Combine numbers). However there are some guys available this year who meet the requirement, especially if you include Pro Day numbers (Paul-Pierre, Kindle, Sapp, Dunlap). There are also some guys who are close on size or have the size and could run in the 4.6s on their Pro Days (Everson Griffen, Jermaine Cunningham, Greg Hardy, Kevin Basped, and Broderick Stewart).

I am also holding out hope for Crable (that one preseason game left me drooling), although I'm probably the only one.

I do think the 6'4 4.6 standard makes some sense. In theory, taller players are more likely to disrupt a QBs vision and tip passes (something BB has said in the past is an undervalued attribute in front-seven players). Longer arms also allow for a wider range and a more effective repertoire of pass-rush moves. Finally, a 40 time in the 4.6s or less is a good indicator that an OLB prospect can effectively and consistently “run the arc” against NFL level talent. However, we may have passed over some very good pass rushers-arguably our achilees heel since 2007-because of this standard, so I understand your frustration.

I guess my main point is that in regards to Graham and others of his ilk (Hughes, Worlids, Misi, etc.), don't get your hopes up. If you want the Pats to draft a pass rusher, figure out who you like out of the Paul-Pierre, Dunlap, Kindle, and Sapp group, because they are far more likely to be drafted by the Pats.

Last edited:
This team needs football players..... Throw all that prototypical size crap out the window..... Sam Mills was a football player. If he had to walk up to some line to see if he sizes up like they do at six flags for kids, he would have never played a down in the NFL. I'll take production and passion for the game over mediocre production and protoypical size.

I guess my main point is that in regards to Graham and others of his ilk (Hughes, Worlids, Misi, etc.), don't get your hopes up. If you want the Pats to draft a pass rusher, figure out who you like out of the Paul-Pierre, Dunlap, Kindle, and Sapp group, because they are far more likely to be drafted by the Pats.

Well put.. We're all going to think one direction and BB will go another route

& I want Graham.. Mayock put it the best.. He might not have the size but he has the vision, motor and the ability to get under tackles arm pits and make a move on the QB.

Last edited:
Just watched Jason Pierre highlights and boy am I so unimpressed. He whiffed on countless sacks and doesn't look to be all that explosive. Dunlap looks like a scrub who's slow as tar and has BUST written all over him.

Well I won't get into all of that. We are just fans, what do we know right?

Several mocks have decided that Belichick will change his ideas of what a defense should be and draft Graham, even though there are several OLB's available who do meet what Belichick wants at the position.

So, no, I don't expect us to draft Graham. I expect us to draft an OLB by pick 50, not necesarrily at 22. Many have suggested candidatee. probably a half dozen with tlent between pick 20 and pick 50.

That being said, I ahve no problem if the patriots choose an OLB at 22, believing that he is that much better than the players likely to be available at 44.
===========

The BOTTOM LINE is that
1) We all know we need an OLB;
2) we all know Belichick's preferences with regarsd to height and size, and
3) there are potentially high-quality players who will be available for 20-50 who meet Belichick's preferences.

So, why should Belichick compromise and choose Graham, unless Belichick that thinks that he is much, much better than the rest, and a must-have player.

Somehow, if Graham were there and Belichick thought that he was by far the best player available, I suspect that we would trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes