PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any thoughts on Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seems a bit of a freak but if he can rush the passer;I am for it.

Jordan has rare athleticism for his size, showing loose hips and smooth footwork to move naturally in any direction. He looks like a basketball small forward in football pads with fluid athleticism for a player with his height and length.

Listed at 6-7 and 240 pounds, Jordan needs to continue to add weight and fill out his frame, lacking much of a power element to his game. But as a pass rusher, he has a quick first step with acceleration to beat blockers and flatten out to close on the quarterback.

Jordan doesn't have the heaviest hands, but he's extremely quick with his mitts,
making it tough for blockers to combat them. There are some questions
about where his natural position is at the next level,
but any creative defensive coordinator will be able to utilize Jordan's
impressive blend of size and speed.

from CBS sports

There are a lot of thoughts on Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon.

He's been discussed rather extensively for months now for anyone who's been following the draft board.

Will be the best pass rusher and coverage defensive end in the draft, his torn labrum could hopefully drop him down to the patriots in the late first round

He's been discussed rather extensively for months now for anyone who's been following the draft board.

Now, he's your boy Mayo! Actually, him and Hightower lined up next to each other as SAM and LDE might be interesting. Not sure which one would play what. But, would be a nice pass rush from that side along with Chandler Jones coming off of the right side.

Now, he's your boy Mayo! Actually, him and Hightower lined up next to each other as SAM and LDE might be interesting. Not sure which one would play what. But, would be a nice pass rush from that side along with Chandler Jones coming off of the right side.

Jordan's shoulder injury could affect his draft stock and make him a relative value. He's been discussed ad nauseum, but his coverage skills, versatility and ability to play in space are fairly unique. Either he or Alec Ogletree slipping into round 2 would be great value, and paired with Hightower would make a interesting combination in terms of their versatility and the type of options that a defense could run without changing personnel.

Jordan's shoulder injury could affect his draft stock and make him a relative value. He's been discussed ad nauseum, but his coverage skills, versatility and ability to play in space are fairly unique. Either he or Alec Ogletree slipping into round 2 would be great value, and paired with Hightower would make a interesting combination in terms of their versatility and the type of options that a defense could run without changing personnel.

Kiper has Ogletree at 7 on his big board. He was on Sportscenter this am. With all of these declarations, would love to trade out of the first and pick up a three. Doesn't sound like we're getting any supp picks. Article on another site reviewed it.

I love Ogletree more than most but even I think his value is more second round than first (although I'd take him late first). I WOULD NOT take him if I was picking in the top 10. Don't know what Kiper's thinking. I've always said that I think his value compares to Lavonte David who I'd have also taken late first.

As for Jordan, I'm warming to the idea of taking him late first if he's played at SLB or WLB. I'm not convinced Hightower will play at LDE. I think it's more likely that Spikes doesn't get re-signed at the end of next year and Hightower is his replacement.

I love Ogletree more than most but even I think his value is more second round than first (although I'd take him late first). I WOULD NOT take him if I was picking in the top 10. Don't know what Kiper's thinking. I've always said that I think his value compares to Lavonte David who I'd have also taken late first.

As for Jordan, I'm warming to the idea of taking him late first if he's played at SLB or WLB. I'm not convinced Hightower will play at LDE. I think it's more likely that Spikes doesn't get re-signed at the end of next year and Hightower is his replacement.

I don't pay any attention to Kiper's rankings. The list of who is in the 2013 draft will be complete in a few days, and for the next 3 1/2 months it will be a case of about 40-50 guys moving up and down boards and jockeying for position. Da'quan Bowers was a potential #1 pick at this time 2 years ago, Ryan Mallett was a 1st round pick, and Chandler Jones was a late 2nd/early 3rd at this time last year. CBS Sports/NFL DraftScout currently has Jordan at 26 with an injury flag and Ogletree at 53, FWIW, and I think that's more realistic than Kiper's ranking.

I have noted that Jordan's shoulder issue - which came up in October, and which Tony Pauline flagged as a possible concern in his draft evaluation - reappared in the Fiesta Bowl, and could affect his draft stock. Ogletree had a suspension and some character question marks. All of that will factor in. It's too early to tell whether these guys will rise or fall, but we'll probably get a better reading of the tea leaves over the next 6 weeks. For me, if either Jordan or Ogletree goes top 20, good luck to them. If they're available in the 32-50 range, I'm interested in either, depending on who else is available.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back