PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any thoughts on Crable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shhhhhh.
He's trying to criticze BB so knocking TBC helps.

Well, it's hard to find articles about such a marginal player.

The Patriots made a surprising defensive change, moving Mike Vrabel to outside linebacker and inserting second-year player Eric Alexander on the inside.

The start was the first of Alexander's career. The 6-foot-2-inch, 240-pound Alexander, who opened his college career at Louisiana State as a safety, added more speed to the front seven, which was important against a speedy Colts offense and with the game being played on a fast, artificial surface.

Alexander finished with a team-high 10 tackles and one sack.

He was in coverage on a key play on the Colts' final scoring drive, as tight end Bryan Fletcher got behind him for a 32-yard gain.

"I was man-to-man and I should have been deeper," Alexander said.
The insertion of Alexander into the lineup meant Tully Banta-Cain, who had started the team's first two playoff games at outside linebacker, was relegated to a reserve role, mainly playing in obvious passing situations. Banta-Cain, who was held without a tackle in the team's divisional-round win over the Chargers, had three stops.

No tackles. Tomlinson was certainly running on his side...

"I think it gave us the best opportunity to set the edge over there on the left, and they weren't able to run much, and maybe get more pressure," Vrabel said. "That was our thinking. Eric inside, I thought he flew around, made some big plays, some big hits. He'll get other opportunities, he's developed into a nice football player."

Is Vrabel saying they had to throw a career special teamer out there because somebody couldn't set the edge?

"maybe get more pressure" without the designated rusher TBC?

Sure sounds like he's saying emergency action due to failure, in the middle of the playoffs, to me.

Last edited:
It's not as if BB is completely unaware of the LB situation:

Q: Can you talk about the outside linebacker position opposite Adalius (Thomas) – and the departure of Mike Vrabel? Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, those guys, competing for that spot.

BB: I think in the end, our linebacker corps will be made up of a number of guys, and they'll do things differently and probably share some of the things that Mike did. Mike was a unique player, a very versatile player, and he did a lot of different things for us. But I think the combination of our linebacker group, with Gary Guyton and Pierre Woods and Shawn Crable and Paris Lenon, however all that works out, [and] Tully Banta-Cain, that I think we have a good group there. But I don't think it'll just be one guy doing all the things that Mike did.

Q: With a team like yours, you have to build it that way. Bill Walsh said that to me once: You have to be really smart about how to complement your offense with the right kind of packages on defense.

BB: Right. And I certainly agree with that. A couple of our weaknesses last year were third-down defense and our red area defense, and those are two areas that we're going to need to play better in if we want to have the kind of successful season that we hope for.

Worth noting that it was Belichick, and not the interviewer that brought up the subject of third down defense and red zone defense. How the team improves in this area is up for debate, but it's a bit presumptuous to think Belichick is not aware of the need to improve in these areas, or in the pass rush from the outside linebackers.

Who are they relying on Deus? C'mon, it's so easy to just put other people down. Do you think they've adequately turned over the position? Please explain and give names.

You have no problem giving names to posters.

You and I have gone over this on more than one thread already this offseason.

You and I have gone over this on more than one thread already this offseason.

I certainly don't want to rehash nothing, I appreciate your position in that regard. If I'm a little strident, it's because of the almost cultish refusal by some to admit we could possibly ever need to draft or acquire linebacker talent.

Not saying it's you, just saying to bring up the weak position on a team on a football forum is not heresy and it doesn't make you a chicken little.

It's been a chronic problem for a few years and is getting worse, not better. That's my opinion and anyone can disagree, but if you're bringing insults and faith instead of facts, I'll respond appropriately.

Last edited:
I certainly don't want to rehash nothing, I appreciate your position in that regard. If I'm a little strident, it's because of the almost cultish refusal by some to admit we could possibly ever need to draft or acquire linebacker talent.

Not saying it's you, just saying to bring up the weak position on a team on a football forum is not heresy and it doesn't make you a chicken little.

It's been a chronic problem for a few years and is getting worse, not better. That's my opinion and anyone can disagree, but if you're bringing insults and faith instead of facts, I'll respond appropriately.

I have no problem with your feeling the need to more completely address the linebacker position. I am, in fact, in complete agreement that this team would be well served to bring in 1-2 top shelf backups/starters. I do, however, have a problem when it's thrown up time and again whenever a linebacker thread comes up, because it begins to take on a "sky is falling" appearance with a team that's 27-5 in the past 2 seasons.

Or maybe it's because I get Maverick4 flashbacks about McDaniels' threads.

Last edited:
...It's been a chronic problem for a few years and is getting worse, not better...

Just as a P.S., I don't think either of us will be surprised if the team brings in another outside linebacker that gets cut from another team's training camp.

Chicken legs! He's done......FYI Michigans my favorite college team and I'm not puttin' allot of stock in Crable.

I have no problem with your feeling the need to more completely address the linebacker position. I am, in fact, in complete agreement that this team would be well served to bring in 1-2 top shelf backups/starters. I do, however, have a problem when it's thrown up time and again whenever a linebacker thread comes up, because it begins to take on a "sky is falling" appearance with a team that's 27-5 in the past 2 seasons.

Or maybe it's because I get Maverick4 flashbacks about McDaniels' threads.

No problems. Just thought others had gotten into some sort of ban on discussing linebackers. You know me, I go nuts for a while, but it's usually for effect.

I assume BB figures he can pick off a cut from someone for value. I'm fine with this new DE-OLB convert from N.O/Miami. I just wish if they were going the UDFA, project route, they'd really run a bunch through. So few make it to the starter, or even dependable backup level.

I admit their approach to LBs baffles me. Once they decided Hobbs wasn't the answer, they sure stocked the pond at DB. Though i agree with you it's uncertain, there's a good mix of draft picks, vets and young players with some experience.

You know me, I go nuts for a while, but it's usually for effect.
:rofl: "Nuts for a while!" God love ya Ray, but no false modesty please. :D

Its not bringing up a weakness that creates disdain, its bemoaning the weakness as a disaster of epic proportions, and considering the fact that a weakness exist a tremendous disaster in building a team.

Its not bringing up a weakness that creates disdain, its bemoaning the weakness as a disaster of epic proportions, and considering the fact that a weakness exist a tremendous disaster in building a team.

No, just a topic worthy of discussion.

Most worthy, actually. Do we only cheerlead?

No, just a topic worthy of discussion.

Most worthy, actually. Do we only cheerlead?

When you look at the track record a fair perspective would be very heavily positive.
The expectation of perfection in every realm is annoying and misguided.

When you look at the track record a fair perspective would be very heavily positive.
The expectation of perfection in every realm is annoying and misguided.

Now you're being disingenuous. All teams that don't have "all all-pros" or "perfection" can still have talented (by objective measures like draft pick [mayo] or experienced [A.D.]) players.

Wondering how a #1 pick Mayo would perform is different than wondering about an UDFA. That's why they have the draft.

The opposite of uncertain is not perfect. When Bruschi retires, another starting position will need to be filled.

We do not need two "all pros". Our starters do not need to be "perfect" and our depth doesn't either.

Whether either is adequate is a topic of discussion and the reason we have messageboards IMO.

Whether either is adequate is a topic of discussion and the reason we have messageboards IMO.

Hardly. The reason for messageboards is usuually for the release of flatulence. IMO.

Hardly. The reason for messageboards is usuually for the release of flatulence. IMO.

You're reading to much into my post, though you could be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back