PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any SURPRISE cuts around the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok.. I know people are talking about Webster for the Pats as being somewhat of a surprise, though he couldn't get on the field. And Eckel really wasn't a surprise considering that they have Morris and Jordan behind Maroney.

But looking around the league, have there been any cuts that surprised people.

One cut that surprised me was DeShawn Wynn in GB. Granted, Ryan Grant has since taken over, but Wynn won the job last year out of camp.

Something for others to remember is that some players are cut, not because they stink, but because the team wants to give them a shot to hook on somewhere else. Like the Pats did with Pollard.

Nope, nothing...and every transaction went through me today.

Manning probably the big one, nothing else really surprised me. Neal going on pup is a bummer but kinda expected. Poor Eckel too i guess this means Heath is deffinitly sticking.

I too was surprised by both the Ricky Manning and the DeShawn Wynn cuts. I would have drafted Wynn, or Darius Walker, or Selvin Young, or Ahmad Bradshaw, instead of Justice Hairston in '07. I also was mildly surprised by the Ravens releasing TE Aaron Walker. I thought that they were still hurting at TE there. Walker's a good-block, not-so-good-catch guy who could maybe still help some teams which are looking for that type of skillset in a 3rd TE. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Manning probably the big one, nothing else really surprised me. Neal going on pup is a bummer but kinda expected. Poor Eckel too i guess this means Heath is deffinitly sticking.

I am the one of the biggest Eckel fans around but I have to say this is probably better as he was hurt and maybe a canidate for IR meaning he would be gone for the year.

lets arbitrarily say it is another 4 weeks till he is healthy. Than I doubt another team would sign him until he is and in four weeks when he is healthy I bet his first choice would be to stay here if there were then room for him (an injury to Evans or something) if not than he signs somewhere else and I hope this is the case as I recognize the guys ahead are better than him. I thought he had a chance to beat out Evans but he couldn't stay on the field and thus he had no chance.

I should know the answer to this but is he practice squad elidgible? the reason I don't know is because I am not sure how some of his time in Miami counts because he was on reserve lists due to the Navy. I also am not sure but he may have passed the 8-9 game threshold. My gut says he is not elidgible.

Rarely do you see many surprise cuts in the first cutdown. Now that there are no NFL Europea extemptions, even fewer players get cut this time around. I didn't expect anyone of note to be cut.

Rarely do you see many surprise cuts in the first cutdown. Now that there are no NFL Europea extemptions, even fewer players get cut this time around. I didn't expect anyone of note to be cut.

You didn't think Webster in the first cut-down was surprising at all? I expected to see him playing tomorrow night for a roster spot, personally.

I didn't expect Eckel to go already, but I didn't expect him to make the final cutdown. I guess Benwatsonjarvusgreenellishobbs will be handling the hand-offs tomorrow night after the half.

Last edited:
You didn't think Webster in the first cut-down was surprising at all? I expected to see him playing tomorrow night for a roster spot, personally.

I didn't expect Eckel to go already, but I didn't expect him to make the final cutdown. I guess Benwatsonjarvusgreenellishobbs will be handling the hand-offs tomorrow night after the half.

Not really. Webster was never a lock to make the roster. The fact that he missed most of the preseason and training camp made him a real long shot to make the roster. Eckel wasn't going to make the roster either.

I am also not surprised since the Pats want to evalute guys who might pass through waivers and they need to decide who to add to the practice squad. Why audition Webster when you know there is next to zero chance he would be on the 53 man roster or practice squad.

Not really. Webster was never a lock to make the roster. The fact that he missed most of the preseason and training camp made him a real long shot to make the roster. Eckel wasn't going to make the roster either.

I am also not surprised since the Pats want to evalute guys who might pass through waivers and they need to decide who to add to the practice squad. Why audition Webster when you know there is next to zero chance he would be on the 53 man roster or practice squad.

Yeah, good point there. Now to see if Bryant will go the way of the Webster...

Hi -- I don't have enough posts to start a new thread so...

Sports Illustrated is picking the Pats over the Eagles in the Super Bowl and Brady is on the cover of the NFL Preview issue. 13-3 and beating the Steelers/Colts/Eagles in the playoffs says SI.

Of course somebody is gonna ask the quesiton eventually so, I'll bite the bullet. Should the Pats look into Rick Manning Jr.?

Not really a surprise but I liked Dan Cody coming out of college, he went in the 2nd round but never could stay healthy. I wonder if he could play on a Practice Squad?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3195

"Ravens waived DE/OLB Dan Cody.

Cody is healthy; the team is finally cutting ties with him. A stud end at Oklahoma and former second-round pick, Cody couldn't stay off the shelf during his three offseasons in Baltimore. He's a long shot to help elsewhere."

Hi -- I don't have enough posts to start a new thread so...

Sports Illustrated is picking the Pats over the Eagles in the Super Bowl and Brady is on the cover of the NFL Preview issue. 13-3 and beating the Steelers/Colts/Eagles in the playoffs says SI.

Thanks, 'Noser.
That was fun to see.

Say, didja know the Blue Nose had a sister?
Stan Rogers wrote a song about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye